Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 11:17 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I worry about our systems of education if you have a psych major and honestly think homosexuality is a result of mental illness. What are they teaching in colleges these days??
Some of us are able to think for ourselves and not just blindly kowtow to the liberal education machine. You really need to stop bringing this up and insulting me in this way on these threads. What exactly is the point of this post if not to personally attack me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 12:24 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm a gay parent and completely agree. Being gay doesn't make me any better of a parent. The factors that make us better parents are that we'd already been together 12 years when our twins were born (we're stable), we both are college educated, we are well into our careers and make well above average incomes, we were older when our twins were born (37 and 39), we had already purchased a nice home in a very kid-friendly environment, and I took parenting classes. We're very focused on providing our children with all the opportunities they need. Things like piano lessons, swimming lessons, soccer lessons, travel, etc., so that they can develop skills early. They're also in a private pre-school and can write words and spell some words at age 3. We have many other same-sex parents in our neighborhood and and I think they're all great parents, but for similar reasons to us. I really don't think the fact that we're gay has anything to do with it... other than our children won't grow up homophobic.
My nephew got married at roughly your age, he and his wife followed the same course and have a wonderful boy and girl. These two kids know that I am married to a man and that we are both their uncles. It has nothing to do with the sexual orientation of the parents. It is the dedication and love. I do not know any gay male couples with children, but I do know several female couples with very well adjusted children.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:11 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
What a sweeping generalization. It's idiotic to take the very limited data on gay parenting and try to compare it to all heterosexual parents. A better study would be those who wanted a child versus those who got pregnant by accident. Or the gays who adopt versus the straights who wanted and got a child through adoption. Anyone who wants a child and has one when prepared (as is the case with the adoption process) will likely be a good parent.

Besides, anyone who knows about research methods knows the sample would be way way way too small to be generalized to the entire gay population. The number of gays is quite small and the number of gays who adopt is even smaller.

It's offensive to us straight people who wanted and had a child to say that a gay parent might be "better."

Why is this even being compared? This is another example of people throwing "gay rights" into the face of those who want them to just shut up and live their lives.
Quote:
The part of the study presented here and the thread title are misleading, as we have been discussing here. That's why I said that.

It appears you didn't read the article before offering your opinions on it.

The article was not about just 'one' study.

There have been about 80 different studies on lesbian and gay parenting.

And yes there are studies comparing gay and lesbian couples who adopt with heterosexual couples who adopt.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentThinker View Post
At least until the next study comes out.
There have been more than 80 different studies done.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
The research is BS, they should have only compared it to heterosexual couples who choose to become parents.

What's the accidental pregnancy rate among gay couples? Anyone?
You didn't read the article (this seems to be a trend among the naysayers in this thread)
It wasn't aboit one particular study.

There have been over 80 different studies, including matching lesbian and gay couples who adopt, with heteroseual couples who adopt.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
Gay parents possibly better than heterosexual parents

lol, such insightful posts from the anti-gay club
And none of them appear to have even read the article.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It's not cherry picking.

It's just that what I posted was all I needed to prove you wrong once again.
You haven't proven me wrong a 'first time' yet....

Old 01-24-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
YES .... they most certainly are. Stark raving mad lunatics who have spent a lifetime demonstrating a level of craziness which often exceeds the conditions they allegedly treat.
Sure.... Everyone is crazy but you.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Not strange at all. Homosexual women actually have more male sexual partners in their lifetimes, on average, than heterosexual women do.
LOL! Yes I've seen many religious ant-gay crusading websites claim this.

If you like to link to a soirce for your claim, I'll happily show you in detail how they've lied about and misrepresented an Australian srudy that didn't actually show any such thing.

Here's a clue. If you want to make outrageous claims lile that, really check your source or take the risk of being proven to be not only prejudiced but very foolish.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:02 AM

Quote:
No, I would not. I'm not going to read an 88 page report. Tell me how it refutes what I said about the sample not being generalizable to the population of gays/lesbians.
Of course you're not going to read the research. Why would you want facts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies