Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 07:54 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I do realize that medical bills are an issue for people, but I think it's more of an issue for the middle and lower middle class than those living in what we consider poverty in the US. Medicaid is available for the poor. Hospitals have indigent care as well and it's certainly used. It's probably more costly than expanding medicaid.
If medical bills are putting people into poverty, isn't that something we should be focusing on?

Quote:
Since when are these people the one's living in poverty? These are independent issues that you're attempting to combine and it weakens your argument.
Working class families have trouble affording medical care too, if they even get something from their employers at all. Not everyone who works has medical insurance, including the self-employed. They might be making money, but with the cost of health-insurance, especially for families, it's out of reach for a lot of people, not just the destitute.

Quote:
Life is a struggle. I don't know why you think you or anyone else should be immune to that reality. It just reads as entitlement to me. And I don't understand what your statement about darwinism is supposed to mean.
You stated that every animal struggles. Humans are better than that. We can make life better for everyone without resorting to a "the fittest survive" mentality. If your stance on heatlhcare is "you can't afford it? Too bad," You're supporting social Darwinism.

[quote]I lived without a TV and certainly the net until 1999. I had a phone sporadically. Still, anyone can pick up a $10-$20/mo cell phone to use for potential job leads. People balk at not having a TV or a computer or having roommates. Again, it's not money. People really can make due with very little and be fine. It's something else. [quote]

And people do, but like I said, they see that 42% of people have a cell phone, and suddenly their living "high on the hog" and eating steaks six nights a week, and king crab on the seventh.

If you haven't done so, read through that thread that was on here a few months ago when that report was published. That's all you see from the right-wing crowd on this forum is bashing of people who have televisions, or internet access (which can be had for pretty cheap), and how they shouldn't be allowed to have food-stamps because god forbid, they can search for jobs online.

It's outrageous. According to this crowd, even our homeless veterans are living too well, they've got clothes on their backs!

Quote:
It's not so much about moving up the ladder. That should not be an expectation for the working class. Sustainability is, or at least should be imo, the goal. I do not deny the existence of disparity. It has always been and it will always be. It just seems to be a part of human social construct. And lets be clear on the "American Dream". That dream was for middle, upper and beyond Anglo whites. The disparity was there 30-50 years ago, but folk conveniently ignore it.
The American Dream is there for everyone. Doesn't matter if WASPs want it all for themselves originally, we should expect everyone in this day and age to have that opportunity to climb the social ladder. Except that dream is dead now, because the wealthiest people in this country have been the only ones benefiting.

The income-gap we have now did not exist fifty years ago. It wasn't this way forty years ago either.

The top tier of income earners in this country have been getting richer and richer, while everyone else has not. No one is denying that there will be a income gap, but the level it is at now hasn't been seen since the 1920's.

We can do better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 07:54 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I know, right?

I think we've just discovered their secret agenda behind not using birth control... they're trying to out-populate us back into 1950! C'mon non-fundie types, it's time for us to get busier with the baby-making. LOL
never going to happen cause liberals are the most selfish people in the world.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:53 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
you do realize there is a difference between Orthodox Jews and non Orthodox Jews.
Will Your Grandchildren Be Jewish?
Average Number of Children Per Woman (NAJDB based on NJPS 2000)
Hasidic/Yeshiva Orthodox - 6.72
Centrist Orthodox - 3.39
Conservative - 1.74
Reform - 1.36
Secular - 1.29

please explain to me the Utah's birth rates if Mormons had zero growth.
I think this was from 2000
state-white fertility rate
USA 1.83
Utah 2.45
Alaska 2.28
Idaho 2.20
Kansas 2.06
South Dakota 2.02
Nebraska 2.02
Oklahoma 2.01
Wyoming 1.99
Indiana 1.94
Arkansas 1.94
Texas 1.93
Arizona 1.92
Mississippi 1.92
New Mexico 1.90
Georgia 1.90
Iowa 1.89
Missouri 1.89
Ohio 1.89
Louisiana 1.88
Michigan 1.88
Montana 1.87
Colorado 1.86
Nevada 1.85
Kentucky 1.85
North Carolina 1.84
Alabama 1.84
Minnesota 1.83
New Jersey 1.83
Tennessee 1.83
Virginia 1.82
Maryland 1.81
West Virginia 1.80
Illinois 1.80
South Carolina 1.80
Florida 1.78
North Dakota 1.78
Wisconsin 1.78
Oregon 1.76
Connecticut 1.75
Washington 1.72
Pennsylvania 1.72
New York 1.72
Delaware 1.71
New Hampshire 1.69
California 1.65
Maine 1.65
Vermont 1.63
Massachusetts 1.60
Hawaii 1.59
Rhode Island 1.50
District of Columbia 1.11
Do you actually think that having that many children is something to be boasting about? I certainly don't, not when 15 million children die of starvation each year...

I have no idea why you would post the fertility rates by state, except to suggest that some Mormons in Utah are just as uncaring about over population as you are....You do know that the Muslim method of increasing Islam is the same....Pump out more kids...What are you, rabbits?

Old 05-05-2012, 09:00 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
The face of the western world has been altered by our modern out look on sex- the pill- abortion- equating having children to money- and encouraging the gay phenomena...Muslims and other- are well on their way to displacing the traditional populace- they think we are fools...too interested in freedoms that do not ensure survival- Yes we should be rabbits- because if we are not the other rabbits from over the hill will take over- which they have already------while we were busy being free- to abort and be gay and the such..

Old 05-05-2012, 09:03 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I know, right?

I think we've just discovered their secret agenda behind not using birth control... they're trying to out-populate us back into 1950! C'mon non-fundie types, it's time for us to get busier with the baby-making. LOL

Quote:
never going to happen cause liberals are the most selfish people in the world.
So you're admitting that the "non-fundie types" are only liberals? In other words, all conservatives are fundamentalists and they all think alike? Sounds like fascism me!

Fascism

Noun: Extreme right-wing, authoritarian, or intolerant views or practice.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:29 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Do you actually think that having that many children is something to be boasting about? I certainly don't, not when 15 million children die of starvation each year...

I have no idea why you would post the fertility rates by state, except to suggest that some Mormons in Utah are just as uncaring about over population as you are....You do know that the Muslim method of increasing Islam is the same....Pump out more kids...What are you, rabbits?
underpopulation is now the biggest threat to many countries. (this includes Muslims coming into Europe and taking over)

remember this prediction by Paul R. Ehrlich in the late 60's
The Population Bomb

Quote:
The battle to feed all of humanity is over. In the 1970's the world will undergo famines--hundreds of millions of people are going to starve to death in spite of any crash programs embarked upon now.
only a fool believes in a overpopulation problem (uncoincidentally many who believe this foolishness also are in favor of marriage redefinition)

Old 05-05-2012, 09:35 PM

434 posts, read 684,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by az461 View Post
We Definitely need to keep the "Original Sanctity of Traditional Marriage" don't you agree.

Marriage should be for hetero-couple's only. Because it is tradition.
At one point in human history, the Stone Age, humans used stone as the raw material to create tools. It was tradition. Humans, however, moved beyond the Stone Age, not because we ran out of stone, but because we found better materials to make tools from.

The moral of the story is that we shouldn't let traditions keep us from creating a more fair and equitable society, i.e., better.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:45 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdog101 View Post
At one point in human history, the Stone Age, humans used stone as the raw material to create tools. It was tradition. Humans, however, moved beyond the Stone Age, not because we ran out of stone, but because we found better materials to make tools from.

The moral of the story is that we shouldn't let traditions keep us from creating a more fair and equitable society, i.e., better.
i.e better ?? you are out of your mind!
History shows us that homosexuality is the downfall of any nation that embraces that perversion.

One man +One woman for the purpose of pro-creation; It cannot be accomplished any other way!

Last edited by SityData; 05-05-2012 at 10:07 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
underpopulation is now the biggest threat to many countries. (this includes Muslims coming into Europe and taking over)

remember this prediction by Paul R. Ehrlich in the late 60's
The Population Bomb

only a fool believes in a overpopulation problem (uncoincidentally many who believe this foolishness also are in favor of marriage redefinition)
Meadow muffins, all of it. Same sex marriage has nothing to do with population and never will...Do you actually think that gay folks are out there producing children and will stop once they are married?...If you do, then you are the fool.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
i.e better ?? you are out of your mind!
History shows us that homosexuality is the downfall of any nation that embraces that perversion.

One man +One woman for the purpose of pro-creation; It cannot be accomplished any other way!
Pure unadulterated bull crap...This is archaic thinking, as women are a lot more than baby factories...Are you going to head up the organization that outlaws vasectomy and birth control? How many kids do you have?

The role of intimacy is not exclusively about procreation. It assumes self expression, experimentation and gratification are appropriate parts of the human sexual experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies