Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 11:00 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
My mother works as a clerk in a Squal*Mart. In a previous life she was a computer programmer for 30+ years until her job was outsourced to India. She has experienced age discrimination in every single programming job she has applied for since that time.

She doesn't qualify because she doesn't have a litter of children and makes too much money at 500 dollars or so every couple of weeks.

It's not that food stamps need to be cut out entirely IMO...they just need to be cut off to the wrong people, those of questionable citizenship status and those who continue to pump out more resource suckers indiscriminately.

Those who've paid into the system their entire lives and need a little help now are the ones who should be getting it regardless whether they have children or not.

Also wanted to add that my mother sees these resource suckers buying entire carts filled with nothing but candy and soda with food stamps. She also sees them flock into her store during tax season, pulling out the Jackson Hewitt money cards and loading up on big screen tvs and other assorted plastic crap. Giant tax refunds for no other reason then they couldn't figure out how to use birth control.

If it costs so much money to raise children, why can't these same people take that money and spread it out over a year to pay for food, clothing, bills, etc ?
Very good point you made. Someone should only be allowed to buy real food with food stamps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 11:01 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
My mother works as a clerk in a Squal*Mart. In a previous life she was a computer programmer for 30+ years until her job was outsourced to India. She has experienced age discrimination in every single programming job she has applied for since that time.

She doesn't qualify because she doesn't have a litter of children and makes too much money at 500 dollars or so every couple of weeks.

It's not that food stamps need to be cut out entirely IMO...they just need to be cut off to the wrong people, those of questionable citizenship status and those who continue to pump out more resource suckers indiscriminately.

Those who've paid into the system their entire lives and need a little help now are the ones who should be getting it regardless whether they have children or not.

Also wanted to add that my mother sees these resource suckers buying entire carts filled with nothing but candy and soda with food stamps. She also sees them flock into her store during tax season, pulling out the Jackson Hewitt money cards and loading up on big screen tvs and other assorted plastic crap. Giant tax refunds for no other reason then they couldn't figure out how to use birth control.

If it costs so much money to raise children, why can't these same people take that money and spread it out over a year to pay for food, clothing, bills, etc ?
What about all the illegals that are sucking the system dry and the Americans get squat when they need a helping hand.. the food stamp cheaters are taking over and Obama wants a voting block of welfare recipients that is driving our economy and tax base into a ditch because of the handouts.

I used to work for the welfare department many years ago in NJ and one had to pass a visit from a case worker dispensed out when the welfare recipient didn't know of a visit. The case workers checked up to see what the situation really was and there was no big checks and food stamps going out . They were required to use part of their welfare check to buy their food stamps and they were books of food coupons , not swipe food stamp cards . I worked in the income maintenance department which was separate from services.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Very good point you made. Someone should only be allowed to buy real food with food stamps.
Or better -- eliminate the food stamp program.

The children of welfare recipients are already given two meals at schools - just keep the schools open for the third meal and give them a nutritious meal instead of the junk food they're given at home.

Schools are no longer about education, they've taken over the responsibility of feedidng children whose parents would neglect them -- much food stamp money doesn't go to feed these children which is why the schools must feed them because the mothers often provide more food to their new boyfriends than they give their kids.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:04 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
WTH is this...crucify single parent's day?
Not all single parents are on welfare, and not everyone on welfare is a single parent. Why the single parent hate?
No hatred. It is just true that you qualify for more that way.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:05 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I think the focus needs to be on the elimination of corruption and secondary market these things generate. I'm willing to bet there is more money going into this program than there needs to be already. Here in CA they made a huge push to sign people up saying there were more people eligible than actually applying. I say so what? Not all eligible NEED or WANT food stamps as they have figure out other ways of making do.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:09 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,781 times
Quote:
No hatred. It is just true that you qualify for more that way.

Well, this single Mom does not.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:12 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Republican contempt for the hard working poor never ceases to amaze me. Why do you exhort the value of hard work and then demand the right to pay for it with pennies?

Old 01-22-2012, 11:18 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Quote:
What is wrong with this argument is that it gets into the whole "what is a livable wage?" What would be a livable wage for a single young man won't be for a family of 6. What we have all been talking about here is families. Minimum wage wasn't meant to feed a family of six. It is a place to start and you plan for a family. At some point shouldn't personal responsibility be expected?
Well there a couple of thing wrong with this line of thinking to me. What about a family of 3 or 4? Why 6? Minimum wage in some places can't feed and clothe one adult. And you are assuming those children weren't born during better times for the family. What if they fell on hard times? What if there was divorce or someone was widowed? Even if they weren't... what does that mean? If you have a kid when you are a teenager, you deserve to live a life of poverty and barely be able to eat? If we say yes, because they did it to themselves.. well the kid didn't do anything. What is the justification for starving children who have nothing to do with the circumstances under which they were born? And if we pride ourselves on being this society where people can start from humble beginning and still make it, do we really want so many children starting so far into the hole? I get not everyone can have the same things, but should some people have NOTHING, not even food and a decent education?

The thing is, not matter what the system, some people will find a way to cheat it. Some people don't pay their fair share of taxes. Should we not have taxes? Some people don't obey traffic laws. Should be get rid of them? Some people don't pay back student loans. Should we do away with the program altogether? No. Some people will have more kids than they can afford. Should we not help anyone and/or let kids starve? To me that is not really an option.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:20 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,716 times
This is a tough. There IS a difference between the working poor and those that are poor by choice! The only thing that got me was the trip to Disneyland. I mean is that a neccessity!? Based on what economists are saying we are in a new era, and unfortunately part of that new era is that the unemployment is going to remain high because in most parts of the country the jobs just aren't there.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:21 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Seriously? How much do you think Walmart pays? Mininum wage is like $7.25?
Don't you think these people have rent/mortages, electricity bills, and other things they must pay for?
Just walking into a Dr. office here starts at $80...that's before you're even seen.
I'd love to see how you budget a paycheck from WM and afford all that.
I think you missed the last sentence of my post. What I was saying is minimum wage should be at a level that the government doesn't have to help support someone working a full time job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies