Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 10:13 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,930,054 times

Advertisements

I was struggling and now I'm a RW who is a "trophy husband".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 10:30 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
I was struggling and now I'm a RW who is a "trophy husband".
What is RW?

Old 01-22-2012, 10:32 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I know quite a few 'financially secure' people who are unemployed now.
I know some who had the requisite 6 months of saving in the bank but after 1 - 2 years of unemployment they are no longer secure and are existing on assistance. Their dilemna is entry level jobs won't hire them for fear of them quitting when something better comes along, and the something better jobs just don't exist.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:33 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
What is RW?
Right Wing.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:32 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,941,788 times
How many of you have been behind a shopper with food stamps and noticed that they are eating better than you are?

Old 01-22-2012, 11:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
How many of you have been behind a shopper with food stamps and noticed that they are eating better than you are?
Talk about "class envy"!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,505,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
You act like your entire wages are being garnished. That little bit of money taken out of your paycheck is not stopping you from paying your rent and car note every month. And if it wasn't going towards welfare it would be going to something else. And some ppl who are on welfare work just like you

No matter what people just don't want others getting welfare even if they REALLY need it. I've witnessed the harsh reactions from ppl when individuals admit to being on welfare before they even get a chance to expain why they are getting it--people automatically jump to the conclusion that they are lazy and just need a job. There was a woman whose husband had died in car crash and she had to go on welfare to support her children, and posters were very cruel and heartless by saying "so what?Why don't you work two jobs instead of getting welfare". I couldn't believe the comments that were being made. Just incredibly nasty and narrow minded way of thinking
And this is what blows me away. For some reason, the standard of living should be working multiple minimum wage jobs in order to survive, rather than getting a livable wage for the 40 hours many of us put in at the jobs we do. It's selfish.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
And this is what blows me away. For some reason, the standard of living should be working multiple minimum wage jobs in order to survive, rather than getting a livable wage for the 40 hours many of us put in at the jobs we do. It's selfish.
What's wrong with it. It has been done for decades. I did it when I was young with a young family and millions of others have? Why do you expect at entry level to only work 40 hours a week to make a living? Hell, I am an old man and I still put in a 70 hour work week.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:35 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,505,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
What's wrong with it. It has been done for decades. I did it when I was young with a young family and millions of others have? Why do you expect at entry level to only work 40 hours a week to make a living? Hell, I am an old man and I still put in a 70 hour work week.
Good for you, I hope you're extraordinary successful, working 70 hours a week.

But you'd be mad to think that 70 hour work weeks should be the standard to live. That's the entire reason the minimum wage was enacted--to ensure a standard of living for anyone working. If you're working harder than 40hours a week, you should be adequetly rewarded, but its just asinine to expect such rigorous and grueling hours of people making minimum wages. As I've stated, millions have to survive on that--and we're talking families and children. How do you expect them to better their own lives while working 60 hours a week at two part-time jobs with no benefits? Get an education? They can't, they've got kids and work to do.

As long as people believe the poor are poor because of their own self machinations, the worse they are going to get.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Good for you, I hope you're extraordinary successful, working 70 hours a week.

But you'd be mad to think that 70 hour work weeks should be the standard to live. That's the entire reason the minimum wage was enacted--to ensure a standard of living for anyone working.
Actually as a young man, a 70 hour work week would have been a short week for me. As with many we did what we needed to do to provide for our families. I do it now because I enjoy what I do and am limited to only 70 hours a week by the federal government. Cry me a river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies