Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 02:14 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,481,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Damn! I guess I'm a radical/communist, also!
I live on a dead end street and the trash truck driver gets lazy sometimes and doesn't bother to pick up my trash. I call the township and complain! Sometimes I form a group of like-minded residents and go to township meetings and we all speak our opinions on whatever the township wants to do! Oh, MY, I'm a community organizer!!!

Oh, and BTW, it wasn't my intention to make a 'big list' of items.

So, I guess no one who calls Alinsky a communist read any of his books, right?
I don't care what you read. Hitler made Mein Kempf (sp) entertaining as well. The entire notion behind Alinsky is radicalism and Communism. If that's what you subscribe to then so be it, the average American doesn't, that's why it has taken over 100 years for Progressives and Communists to get this close to their chance at revolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 02:28 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,104,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I don't care what you read. Hitler made Mein Kempf (sp) entertaining as well. The entire notion behind Alinsky is radicalism and Communism. If that's what you subscribe to then so be it, the average American doesn't, that's why it has taken over 100 years for Progressives and Communists to get this close to their chance at revolution.
So now an old dead Jewish guy gets equated with Hitler?

Old 01-24-2012, 02:29 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,337,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I suspect there is "A Portrait of Saul Alinsky" in the WH. It's book, but I can see why the RWers are confused, they don't do books.
By golly, bob, you posted 22 minutes after the post from Dragging Canoe showed that very protrait with Rahm and Barack in the room. Sure the picture is in there. I wonder how many copies of Rules for Radicals are stored in the revered building.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:39 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,673,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Er, you obviously didn't read or comprehend my post.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:41 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,481,320 times
Quote:
Er, you obviously didn't read or comprehend my post.
Comprehended it just fine.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Well OP, thanks to this obsession of yours, I learned something today. I learned that FOX and The Blaze and all of the other outlets that single-mindedly focus on single issues are the biggest followers of Alinsky out there.

Puts lots of things into perspective for me, not least of which is the likelihood that some are just afraid that the president might start using their playbook.

Come Saturday Morning: Why the Professional Right is Obsessed with Alinsky | Firedoglake
I see that you don't know that Firedoglake is nothing but a left leaning blog. Surely you know that the only difference in a left leaning blog and right leaning one is maybe some political thoughts. I really want to thank you for prodding me to do some Alinsky reading. I read his introduction clear through and saw too much revolutionary thinking for me. Oh well thanks again.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Did you read the book?

I guess it was just awful when Alinsky forced the city to pick up trash in the poor neighborhoods the same number of times a week they picked up in the rich neighborhoods.

Imagine the nerve of those poor people...wanting their trash picked up!!
Read these words taken right out of the introductory part of Rules for Radicals and tell me what kind of an organizer Saul was.

What follows is for those who want to change the world from what it is to what they believe it should be. The Prince was written by Machiavelli for the Haves on how to hold power. Rules for Radicals is written for the Have-Nots on how to take it away.

In this book we are concerned with how to create mass organizations to seize power and give it to the people; to realize the democratic dream of equality, justice, peace, cooperation, equal and full opportunities for education, full and useful employment, health, and the creation of those circumstances in which man can have the chance to live by values that give meaning to life. We are talking about a mass power organization which will change the world into a place where all men and women walk erect, in the spirit of that credo of the Spanish Civil War, "Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." This means revolution.

Does any of this sound like what the radical left has been going on about for over a century? It sure does to me. Oh yeah, Old Saul was a hell of a good man to radical lefties.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:51 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,512,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Poor Liar in Chief, Jay Carney gets another question he can't handle. Watch him answer the question and find out, IMO, whether there is indeed a picture of Saul Alinsky hanging in the White House. I say he hedged and hedged and then admitted that the answer should be yes.

That guy from Fox is making life for Carney very tough lately.

Fox News Ed Henry Asks Jay Carney if Barack Obama Displays Saul Alinsky Portrait in White House | Video | TheBlaze.com
From Wikipedia (quoted for convenience sake):

Alinsky's own words, from his 1946 "Reveille for Radicals",[9] capture his perspective, his motivation, and his style of engagement:
  • A People’s Organization is a conflict group, [and] this must be openly and fully recognized. Its sole reason in coming into being is to wage war against all evils which cause suffering and unhappiness. A People’s Organization is the banding together of large numbers of men and women to fight for those rights which insure a decent way of life. . . .
  • A People’s Organization is dedicated to an eternal war. It is a war against poverty, misery, delinquency, disease, injustice, hopelessness, despair, and unhappiness. They are basically the same issues for which nations have gone to war in almost every generation. . . . War is not an intellectual debate, and in the war against social evils there are no rules of fair play. . . .
  • A People’s Organization lives in a world of hard reality. It lives in the midst of smashing forces, dashing struggles, sweeping cross-currents, ripping passions, conflict, confusion, seeming chaos, the hot and the cold, the squalor and the drama, which people prosaically refer to as life and students describe as 'society'.
Words and a philosophy I can live with. Democratic (small D) beliefs, I'm thinking.

I do hope the President has a photo of Saul somewhere in the White House. Better him than the idols of some of the extremist elements in our nation.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,479,056 times
So much of the time it does seem, that Jay Carney, doesn't know if it is Tuesday or raining!

Old 01-24-2012, 05:52 PM

3,270 posts, read 5,649,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The vast majority of sane Americans do not care about arcane historical figures like Saul Alinsky.

"vast majority" ????????

Let's see the numbers instead of you making some unsubstantiated claim!

"sane" is in the eye of the beholder ... again, quite ambiguous!

You also need to clarify for the uninformed here what place in history Saul Alinsky holds.

Would like your opinion if "A vast amjority of Americans" do not care why do you think this president would hold a figure like Alinsky in such esteem as to hang his picture in the WH? I'll be waiting.

Intersting who this POTUS values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies