Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 08:12 PM

753 posts, read 843,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Even if being gay is a choice for some people, why should it matter? If this is a free country, then we should be able to choose to do whatever we want, as long as it's not hurting anyone else.

The truth is that there is no conclusive evidence about sexual orientation. The majority of evidence says that most people do not make a conscious choice about it, but if some do - so what?
Exactly. Tons of people of all sexual preferences say it's not a choice. Many religious straight folks and Cynthia Nixon say they chose to be the way they are.

This chick is bisexual and I feel sympathy for her ongoing struggle to figure that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 07:41 AM

1,187 posts, read 995,562 times
[quote=AnUnidentifiedMale;22765279]Even if being gay is a choice for some people, why should it matter? If this is a free country, then we should be able to choose to do whatever we want, as long as it's not hurting anyone else.

The truth is that there is no conclusive evidence about sexual orientation. The majority of evidence says that most people do not make a conscious choice about it, but if some do - so what?[/quote]

That is exactly my point!!! What difference does it make?? She should be treated with respect by either side, whether she made a choice (or whetheryou believe she did) or not!

Old 01-30-2012, 03:35 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Cynthia Nixon today cleared up what she meant by her earlier statement (I underlined and bolded the most pertinent part):

"My recent comments in The New York Times were about me and my personal story of being gay. I believe we all have different ways we came to the gay community and we can't and shouldn't be pigeon-holed into one cultural narrative which can be uninclusive and disempowering. However, to the extent that anyone wishes to interpret my words in a strictly legal context I would like to clarify:

"While I don't often use the word, the technically precise term for my orientation is bisexual. I believe bisexuality is not a choice, it is a fact. What I have 'chosen' is to be in a gay relationship.

"As I said in the Times and will say again here, I do, however, believe that most members of our community — as well as the majority of heterosexuals — cannot and do not choose the gender of the persons with whom they seek to have intimate relationships because, unlike me, they are only attracted to one sex.

"Our community is not a monolith, thank goodness, any more than America itself is. I look forward to and will continue to work toward the day when America recognizes all of us as full and equal citizens."

Cynthia Nixon: Being Bisexual "Is Not a Choice" | News | The Advocate

Old 01-30-2012, 07:08 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Beat me to it Hammer, was just about to post her clearing it up that she admits she is in fact bisexual and that was not a choice.

Can the anti-gay crowd let this ridiculous argument end now?

Old 01-30-2012, 07:40 PM

98 posts, read 81,687 times
lets face reality, that chick is ugly, will always be ugly, and probably settled for another ugly chick with the same foot size so they can share their Birkenstock collection.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:02 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoconoPete View Post
lets face reality, that chick is ugly, will always be ugly, and probably settled for another ugly chick with the same foot size so they can share their Birkenstock collection.
Wow, how classy?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 PM

487 posts, read 382,911 times
I found this on another message board. I feel it is worth sharing...

"Everything we do in life is a choice, to deny that is to take away our humanity . Whether our choices are driven by a higher thought process or primal urges , both cases can be confusing to the greatest of minds. We can choose to accept that all of us while human, have our own destiny and experiences to live . One rule for the masses isn't logical nor is productive for the evolution of our culture , wisdom or our race. Rise above and love instead of condemning others for choosing to be themselves."

Old 01-31-2012, 07:58 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
I've noticed some lesbians do indeed seem to choose. How many men have turned gay because 'all women are scumbags?' Or because of a bad marriage? This probably further discredits the real lesbians imo.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:04 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,075,481 times
She seems to be a completely confused hoe who is only trying to get attention and gives a bad name to others

Old 01-31-2012, 11:10 AM

791 posts, read 1,434,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoconoPete View Post
I don't agree at all, I think she's rather fetching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies