Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:33 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times

Advertisements

There's something I just don't understand about them. I'm not one of those "**** the poor" types, but it really boggles the mind:

Housing vouchers a golden ticket to pricey suburbs - The Washington Post

Why work hard to be able to afford a nice home in a nice neighborhood when you can just get a free, all-expenses paid check from the government? Even landlords prefer Section 8 renters over working renters because they know that Uncle Sam will keep the money flowing. It removes the incentive to save to an extent.

I mean, if you absolutely knew that the government would handle your basic expenses, would you work particularly hard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 10:42 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,856,185 times
I own an investment property in the Houston area (single family, 3BR home) and when my last renters needed to move on I began the process for finding new renters. I made it a point to have the potential renters drop off the application in person if at all possible.

If they pull up in a $45K car/suv, have bad credit and want to use section 8 to pay me they're not renting my house because that's a clear sign that they can't manage your finances worth a damn.

I've never had a problem with my renters using this method. The people I have renting it now have horrible credit and one is on disability but at least they're honest and seem to be working to improve their situation instead of taking advantage of it.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:44 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,301,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Why work hard to be able to afford a nice home in a nice neighborhood when you can just get a free, all-expenses paid check from the government?
I don't know. Why don't you give all your money away so you qualify, and then sign up, and let us know how it compares?

Something tells me this is not really about envy.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:46 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,528,026 times
Quote:
There's something I just don't understand about them. I'm not one of those "**** the poor" types, but it really boggles the mind:

Why work hard to be able to afford a nice home in a nice neighborhood when you can just get a free, all-expenses paid check from the government? Even landlords prefer Section 8 renters over working renters because they know that Uncle Sam will keep the money flowing. It removes the incentive to save to an extent.

I mean, if you absolutely knew that the government would handle your basic expenses, would you work particularly hard?
I dont disagree with the premise of this post but landlords for the most part dont like section 8. Not all but a majority of section 8 renters are bad teneants.

They often still have to kick in a little bit of money so there is some portion of the rent that isn't guranteed.

Your security inase they trash the place which is likely is something like $100 and you have no recourse to sue.

Also you have to have the place inspected yearly by the gov.

Most landlords dont want section 8 tenants, just look in the renting section of these boards.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:49 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,547,627 times
It goes completely against human nature to work harder for what is handed to you without the need for any work.

If more Americans understood this basic concept of humanity then our "welfare state" would be MUCH smaller.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:52 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
I don't know. Why don't you give all your money away so you qualify, and then sign up, and let us know how it compares?

Something tells me this is not really about envy.
I know not all people on public assistance are like the ones in that article. And to answer your challenge, I won't, because I would like to have a sense of purpose. I'd rather be working in something I care about and live in a small apartment than be working at McDonalds and living in a McMansion I don't have to pay for.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:55 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times
Quote:

Another area where the federal gvt has no business in and we have seen and are experiencing the results. One of those is the distortion of the market,example those HUD landlords can get 550 a month for a 1 BR in the neighborhood and of course the non HUD land owners will charge nearly the same.
It also hurts the working poor who are looking to rent :
Quote:
It’s guaranteed money,” said David Benham, who owns several rental properties and is a founder of the Benham REO Group, which sells bank foreclosures to investors in 35 states. “It has a great accountability program with the renters. I love Section 8. I wish every one of my properties was Section 8.”
Lets see, do we rent to the working poor who do not qualify and can lose there job at anytime? Or do we take the guaranteed money from the gvt? It is a no brainer. Another factor not discussed in the article and one that HUD land owners love is free repair. To start in the HUD program your rental would have to meet all inspections and pass. Then you can rent and if the HUD renter damages your property HUD pays for repairs.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Why work hard to be able to afford a nice home in a nice neighborhood when you can just get a free, all-expenses paid check from the government?
Quote:
I'd rather be working in something I care about and live in a small apartment than be working at McDonalds and living in a McMansion I don't have to pay for.
Leaving the accusations of abuse aside, it would appear that you answered your question.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:17 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,030,247 times
I read this article when we got the paper this morning.
Absolutely furious.

The woman in the article acts as though she is entitled to the nicest house possible,
turning up her nose at some places, when she is on unemployment
and
also has her unemployed 24-yr-old daughter and the daughter's 5-year-old living with them.
Oh, and some dogs.

She also refers to "men walking down the street in shorts and tank tops" as "street punks."
Hmmmm. Passing judgement on the way people walking down the street look.
But that would not go over so well if it were a non-minority commenting on those walking around Section 8 housing, would it?

She "puts on her white voice" when she answers the phone; that's gold, right there.

This article is a disgrace and should not have been given the space it was in the post, prominently on the front page, and taking up an entire other page inside.

This is, quite simply, the pathetic story of an unemployed leech living better than some of the working class, because of entitlements.

God bless America. Yeah.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
I read this article when we got the paper this morning.
Absolutely furious.

The woman in the article acts as though she is entitled to the nicest house possible,
turning up her nose at some places, when she is on unemployment
and
also has her unemployed 24-yr-old daughter and the daughter's 5-year-old living with them.
Oh, and some dogs.

She also refers to "men walking down the street in shorts and tank tops" as "street punks."
Hmmmm. Passing judgement on the way people walking down the street look.
But that would not go over so well if it were a non-minority commenting on those walking around Section 8 housing, would it?

She "puts on her white voice" when she answers the phone; that's gold, right there.

This article is a disgrace and should not have been given the space it was in the post, prominently on the front page, and taking up an entire other page inside.

This is, quite simply, the pathetic story of an unemployed leech living better than some of the working class, because of entitlements.

God bless America. Yeah.
If you're jealous, then join her. Otherwise you're just judging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies