Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times

Advertisements

Those filthy people at the Washington Post think so very much like I do. The first thing they fact check is the spot at which I stopped listening attentively to the performance. When Obama made his claims about Iraq and Afghanistan I knew I wasn't going to like the rest of the speech and here you can find out why I say I agree with this WAPO column.

Here is a guide through some of President Obama’s more fact-challenged claims, in the order in which he made them. As is our practice with live events, we do not award Pinocchio rankings, which are reserved for complete columns.

***“For the first time in nine years, there are no Americans fighting in Iraq. For the first time in two decades, Osama bin Laden is not a threat to this country. Most of al Qaeda’s top lieutenants have been defeated. The Taliban’s momentum has been broken, and some troops in Afghanistan have begun to come home.”
The killing of bin Laden, which Obama used to open and close his speech, is an achievement that few partisans would quibble with. But the story about Iraq and Afghanistan is much more muddled.

Yes, U.S. troops have left Iraq, in part because the Obama administration was unwilling or unable — take your pick — to extend a security agreement with Iraq. Since the U.S. departure, Iraq has descended into violence as the government of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has targeted Sunni opposition figures. The country at times appears to teeter on the edge of a new outbreak of sectarian violence.***

It seems like the writers of that speech took lots of liberties with this one and the others that follow in the article.

Fact-checking the 2012 State of the Union speech - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 01:40 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
Quote:
We found no outright false factual claims in Obama’s State of the Union address, but we did note some that were arguable, and some promises that may prove unrealistic.
FactCheck.org : FactChecking Obama’s Address

Quote:
We fact-checked President Obama’s State of the Union address, but what about the Republican response speeches? We found two new claims that we haven’t covered before

In addition, the two Republicans repeated several false and misleading charges we’ve already written about.
FactCheck.org : FactChecking the GOP Response

Old 01-25-2012, 01:47 PM

You are totally off topic with this link. Get your own thread to play games on and I will gladly play with you. Not one of your items seems to be included in my link so maybe, just maybe, the Annenberg bunch is as bad as I have always wondered about them for.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:47 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
There ya go, confusing Roy with ALL the Facts.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:48 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You are totally off topic with this link. Get your own thread to play games on and I will gladly play with you. Not one of your items seems to be included in my link so maybe, just maybe, the Annenberg bunch is as bad as I have always wondered about them for.

your link was based on fact checking the SOTUA correct? Wasn't one of the previous posters link the same?

Old 01-25-2012, 01:50 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Cry us a river Roy, you started the thread talking about checking the Facts, but didn't like it when someone provided all of them. There there, it will be alright, simply do what you normally do, ignore them.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:53 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,113,688 times
Thanks for posting. I was at work but the clips I did catch on the news today just seemed off to me. I'm glad someone has gone through and picked it apart to pinpoint the falsehoods. Lots of spin, as usual.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:54 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
Quote:
You said fact check the speech, so I thought I would post links to the actual factcheck website.

If that is completely off topic because you can't defend against any disagreement, that's hilarious.

Sorry Roy, but this is one of the reasons no one takes you seriously.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:59 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,113,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
You said fact check the speech, so I thought I would post links to the actual factcheck website.

If that is completely off topic because you can't defend against any disagreement, that's hilarious.

Sorry Roy, but this is one of the reasons no one takes you seriously.
Your link just happens to be called Factcheck. It is not the only one that does factchecking. I have also heard that Factcheck.org has a liberal lean to it, and just the bit I read in your second link, I saw lots of spinning.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
your link was based on fact checking the SOTUA correct? Wasn't one of the previous posters link the same?
subsound was totally off topic since not one of those Annenberg things pertained to anything the WAPO article said. I think that he should get his own thread for you people to pat backs on and leave this one to people who read links. BTW, I read the Annenberg thing to make sure I was not talking out my posterior as he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies