Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:01 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Dealing inspectors is like playing roulette - the guy approving the plan might play hardball, or he might just say "no problem" and move on.
In my area it's like a giant scam, they have a conflict of interest because the higher the price tag for the job the more they make. My Brothers house was flooded recently as were 800 others in the same area. He was telling them they had use these really expensive breakers that would trip when you get a an arc when plugging something in, apparently they are coded for new construction. It's beyond me why these would be required in say a living room to begin with, any idea how annoying it must be to have to reset a breaker every time you get that arc? I could understand them being required in a garage or industrial setting where flammables are present.

In any event my brother who is familiar with fire codes because it's part of his job looked up the construction codes only too find out it was for new construction. 800 houses times the percentage and that's just one thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 02:11 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
This one is almost too stupid to be believable
This is a forum, not youtube. Perhaps you should come up with some of your own opinions and post them here instead of letting youtube give them to you.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
This is a forum, not youtube. Perhaps you should come up with some of your own opinions and post them here instead of letting youtube give them to you.
This is an opinion on the subject matter referenced in the video:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
This one is almost too stupid to be believable
A business that is required to purchase equipment they will not use is "almost too stupid to be believable", really not much more to say is there?

What I find funny is you're falsely chastising the OP for not giving an opinion yet fail to provide your own on the topic.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:05 AM

1,332 posts, read 994,952 times
Great example of how government is clueless.

And what I find to be even MORE incredible...are the people who APPLAUD the idea of obamacare...KNOWING from examples like this how the government can FUBAR anything they touch.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:08 AM

1,332 posts, read 994,952 times
Quote:
I think the OP gave an opinion with the video. But if someone is too ignorant to see that, then don't blame the messenger sir.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:18 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The PPA in Philly is forcing 300 cabbies to make their vehicles wheelchair accessible. At their expense. If there were a need in the free market for wheel chair accessible taxi cabs, don't you think that someone would have done it already?

Bureaucrats just don't think right.

Taxis-Limousines « Philadelphia Parking Authority
agree.

i would think an entrepreneur would advertise one and then generate increased business for himself/herself, but making them all mandatory is a waste of money.

personally, i get aggravated by all those empty handicapped spaces that i have to pass in parking lots. (and how many people know someone using a handicapped sticker who shouldn't be?)

i certainly see the need for a few spaces, but not as many as are mandated. now i see a few "with small children" spaces next to the handicapped spaces. i wonder what is next?

Old 01-27-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

personally, i get aggravated by all those empty handicapped spaces that i have to pass in parking lots. (and how many people know someone using a handicapped sticker who shouldn't be?)
They are money making machines... some friends of mine were in band and one of the non band members had MS. They were all down Assateague and decided to take ride to Ocean City so they all just piled in his van. He ended up getting ticket because his permit was expired which is understandable. What isn;t understandble is them trying to enforce the ticket when he's sitting in the police station in his wheelchair.....

Quote:
i certainly see the need for a few spaces, but not as many as are mandated. now i see a few "with small children" spaces next to the handicapped spaces. i wonder what is next?
There was story a while back that some state liquor store was giving some prime spaces to hybrids. Forget which state.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:49 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
agree.

i would think an entrepreneur would advertise one and then generate increased business for himself/herself, but making them all mandatory is a waste of money.

"Expectant Mothers". Honest to God.

Government intervention distorts the free market. The Founders were brilliant!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:54 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
Quote:
Our opinions are derived from learning things, whether they be from books, lectures, newspapers, and even youtube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies