Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:50 AM

576 posts, read 586,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the bottom 50% (those earning under 50k) pay nearly NOTHING in federal taxes

I earn 60k and pay nothing in federal income OR PAYROLL taxes..I even get back an additional 50 bucks MORE than was originall deducted in TOTAL federal taxex (both income and payroll)

what we need is to make the tax system more simple and EVEN

if we got rid of many of the duductions but also lowered EVERYONE (every level) down to 10% we would have MORE revenue

think of it, set the tax rate it at 10%..a person earning 10k would pay 1k..a person making 10 million would pay 1 million...minus a standard deduction based on family size
Must be nice.

I made $73k last year and paid $11k in fed taxes (does not include SS, Medicare or state taxes)

I am getting back a whopping $78.00.

Then you include the other $9k in state, SS and medicare (and the $178.00 due to state after I did my taxes).

How many credits are you getting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 08:54 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,629,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It's just as relevant as your comment. Obama's upbringing was anything but average.
So what?

It's still irrelevant. Read the TOS. The thread has a topic.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:17 AM

89,328 posts, read 45,071,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Nice spin.

Add SS and Medicare to that little "they pay nothing" fallacy.

Dont forget city and state taxes which of course vary wildlly.
They pay very little, even including SS, Medicare, state, and local taxes.

Tax burden by income group:

Figure 2 (page 23), here:
http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/wp1.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-30-2012, 09:20 AM

89,328 posts, read 45,071,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It isn't just our news outlets, it's our president who lies about this.
Yes, but that's because he believes his supporters are stupid so he can get away with lying about it.

Notice how not a one ever publicly calls him on it in the MSM.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:22 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,356,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Can you read? I said I think everyone should be paying even less taxes...period, all income levels. I certainly don't want those living below the poverty level paying more. That was in no way my point so get off your high horse before you fall and hurt yourself.
You used the number as part of your statement. If you were not stating such, why did you include it?

Old 01-30-2012, 09:26 AM

39,906 posts, read 26,608,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThrillIsGone View Post
Must be nice.

I made $73k last year and paid $11k in fed taxes (does not include SS, Medicare or state taxes)

I am getting back a whopping $78.00.

Then you include the other $9k in state, SS and medicare (and the $178.00 due to state after I did my taxes).

How many credits are you getting?
I gather you're single? Single people, and those w/o kids, get screwed by our tax code. Just the same, you might want to look at a creative accountant to help you keep some of your money. Our combined income is a just a bit more than yours, we pay a touch under 10% (federal income tax).

Old 01-30-2012, 10:00 AM

576 posts, read 586,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I gather you're single? Single people, and those w/o kids, get screwed by our tax code. Just the same, you might want to look at a creative accountant to help you keep some of your money. Our combined income is a just a bit more than yours, we pay a touch under 10% (federal income tax).
Yep. Single, no kids. About the only thing I was able to claim was a few hundred $$$ in interest paid on my student loans (they're almost paid off now and only a very small % goes to the interest these days, most is going directly to the premium). I do have 401k and insurance as well but obviously that didnt reduce my taxable income enough.

Rented last year as well but am looking to buy my first house (condo actually) in April or May this year. So at least that will help somewhat next year.

My effective federal rate was 16.2%. Taking into account SS, Medicare and State taxes, and deducting insurance and 401k from my taxable income I was basically taxed @ 29.4%.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:58 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,223,914 times
97% pay less than a 15% rate in Income Taxes

So what do you call people who complain that our taxes are too high?

Old 01-30-2012, 12:30 PM

14,491 posts, read 11,317,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
So what?

It's still irrelevant. Read the TOS. The thread has a topic.
It wasn't irrelevant to your comment. Just the same, you have a nice day.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:36 PM

39,906 posts, read 26,608,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThrillIsGone View Post
Yep. Single, no kids. About the only thing I was able to claim was a few hundred $$$ in interest paid on my student loans (they're almost paid off now and only a very small % goes to the interest these days, most is going directly to the premium). I do have 401k and insurance as well but obviously that didnt reduce my taxable income enough.

Rented last year as well but am looking to buy my first house (condo actually) in April or May this year. So at least that will help somewhat next year.

My effective federal rate was 16.2%. Taking into account SS, Medicare and State taxes, and deducting insurance and 401k from my taxable income I was basically taxed @ 29.4%.
Ouch. A house, with the associated interest and property tax payments should result in your federal income tax dropping a bit. However...I think you only accounted for the portion of your "contribution" to SS. The employer's portion, also a part of your compensation package, is another ~7%. Making your tax load closer to 36%. All this before sales taxes, fees, fuel taxes and the embedded taxes in all goods and services you purchase. Most likely your total tax load is 40-55% of your income. Doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies