Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 05:58 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. McFadden View Post
PM, since you seem to have totally ignored my detailed responses to you in posts 418, 419, and 420, I'm a bit hesitant to add another research burden to the load, but can you cite two or three such studies that are publicly available for examination and they you've felt were good? Or are you just going on the basis for things like news articles from 25 year old copies of the NY Times?
If you want to discredit my posts you can do your own research. I get a kick out of posters who think what someone posts is irrelevant unless they post proof. I don't play that game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 06:11 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
If you want to discredit my posts you can do your own research. I get a kick out of posters who think what someone posts is irrelevant unless they post proof. I don't play that game.
I was with you all the way up to this point. You shouldn't say "Studies show" unless you're willing to SHOW STUDIES.

I'm glad you brought up addictiveness, though. I wonder if there is at least some consensus on the addictiveness of nicotine. That, imo, is enough reason for people to be encouraged to stop smoking AND to stop smoking around others...

Old 02-04-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I was with you all the way up to this point. You shouldn't say "Studies show" unless you're willing to SHOW STUDIES.

I'm glad you brought up addictiveness, though. I wonder if there is at least some consensus on the addictiveness of nicotine. That, imo, is enough reason for people to be encouraged to stop smoking AND to stop smoking around others...
Sorry to disappoint you but no matter what subject on POC I do not jump through hoops to appease people who disagree. Other posters are more than welcome do their own research to discredit my posts.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:15 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Yikes! That old man is a fiery explosion waiting to happen.
yes he is, it was an amazing sight

Old 02-04-2012, 06:19 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,806 times
Default Smoke em if ya got em !!! .............. OTAY !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If cigarettes have been found to be so bad then why are they still being sold ?

The government says whole milk is not good for you and BLAMO schools get low fat milk.
The government says get your flu shot and BLAMO everywhere you turn there's someone with a needle ready to give you your shot.

Where's the BLAMO, no more cigarette sales from government ?
Happy Texan !!! ... Precisely !

Indeed ... This thread appears to simply be yet another pitifully worn out whine here on good ole CDF about a blokes right to choose to light up or not to light up a tobacco product when they acheive legal age !!!

Perhaps a select few of these lunk headed blighters will never comprehend the concept of "If you choose not to smoke" ... it's OK and the blokes that elect to smoke will respect your decision ! With that said why in the bloody hail is it so bloomin difficult for the smokers to receive the same respect from the non-smoking crew !!! How pitiful !

Keep on whining and beeachin and the gobbermint will eliminate all the precious rights of the good mates in those so called democratic countries ! Lighten up whiners and attempt to engage your brains before your pie hole !!!

Have a really nice day mates ..... Time for a relaxing cigar out on the Cape overlook ! / Cheers ... Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 02-04-2012, 06:24 PM

Unless I missed a post, never saw anyone suggesting that the government tell people they can't smoke.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:28 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
The gov should set up areas to give out free cigarettes and let smokers enjoy them like their free needle programs and all will be well. Plus the ability to collect SSDI for the rest of their lives. seems only fair as the precedent has been set.
The gov't hand out free cigs? Way too much money to be lost doing that.

Quote:
Studies have shown that it is easier to kick addiction to heroin than it is to tobacco.
Ripped straight from the archives of "truth.org"
Quote:
Rule of debate #1:

The person making the claim of positive, YOU, { i.e. SHS is unhealthy } has the burden of proof.

So in otherwords, we have to prove anything we say and you dont? uhhuh.....Gotcha loud and clear.

Could the reason you are so reluctant to delve into the technical details of the issue be because you have no clue what you are discussing? Thats what I think. Infact, I doubt you even read your own links. Just Google, copy-paste.

Quote:
Your opinion. I doubt most doctors would agree with your opinion.
Well I doubt it to, seeing as they have been programmed to think that way....

[quote]
Quote:
I am a person who lives with chronic bronchitis due to exposure from second hand smoke.
And how are you so sure that SHS is what caused this. Despite the fact that the most common cause is smoking { not exposure to SHS but actually smoking, } have a look at some of the other potential causes......

Quote:
Chronic bronchitis is a form of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease that causes inflammation in the bronchi, resulting in a cough, mucus production, and shortness of breath. The most common cause of chronic bronchitis is smoking. Your risk of chronic bronchitis is increased by certain jobs, including those involving livestock, grain, textiles, manufacturing, and coal mining, as well as by exposure to inhaled irritants, such as chemical fumes and gas vapor.
Why are you so quich to blame your parents smoking??? Let me guess, your doctor told you, right?

Quote:

I have never smoked and I have never been exposed to any other chemicals that could have caused the damage I have to my lungs
Says you. A person is actually exposed to numerous chemicals throughout the day without even realising it.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
Indeed ... This thread appears to simply be yet another pitifully worn out whine here on good ole CDF about a blokes right to choose to light up or not to light up a tobacco product when they acheive legal age !!!
It's a shame that after 46 pages of dialogue you still think it is my "right to light" that I am defending. A pitty that you have learned nothing.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:35 PM

[quote=WhipperSnapper 88;22849253]The gov't hand out free cigs? Way too much money to be lost doing that.

Ripped straight from the archives of "truth.org"

Rule of debate #1:

The person making the claim of positive, YOU, { i.e. SHS is unhealthy } has the burden of proof.

So in otherwords, we have to prove anything we say and you dont? uhhuh.....Gotcha loud and clear.

Could the reason you are so reluctant to delve into the technical details of the issue be because you have no clue what you are discussing? Thats what I think. Infact, I doubt you even read your own links. Just Google, copy-paste.

Well I doubt it to, seeing as they have been programmed to think that way....

Quote:

And how are you so sure that SHS is what caused this. Despite the fact that the most common cause is smoking { not exposure to SHS but actually smoking, } have a look at some of the other potential causes......

Why are you so quich to blame your parents smoking??? Let me guess, your doctor told you, right?

Saya you. A person is actually exposed to numerous chemicals throughout the day without even realising it.
This is not a debate Skippy. This is a forum where people post their opinions. You didn't walk a mile in my shoes. I feel confident stating that I have chronic bronchitis from second hand smoke. Don't believe it, I dont care. You weren't there for all the childhood earaches and respiratory problems I had as a child and you don't have a clue about the respiratory problems I have now.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint you but no matter what subject on POC I do not jump through hoops to appease people who disagree. Other posters are more than welcome do their own research to discredit my posts.
So long as you can still make claims without doing any yourself right? You have infact been provided with many links, of which I'm sure you have read zero.

The debate with you is pointless. Your what I like to call a "robot debater" You spout off the same continuous nonsense without reflection of others posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies