Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:37 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
kshe, you're talking to someone who's getting grades from a homeschooled "high school" - what do you expect?
I know, I know.....I taught art history classes for several years at our local museum, its appalling what passes for knowledge with some of this homeschooling curriculum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 12:28 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I know, I know.....I taught art history classes for several years at our local museum, its appalling what passes for knowledge with some of this homeschooling curriculum.
We need to talk sometime.
I visit museums all over Europe (I'm pretty much on my second/third round for most).
I've learned so much!
If you ever get a chance, the Hermitage is one of the best in the world. I spent 2.5 days there.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
We need to talk sometime.
I visit museums all over Europe (I'm pretty much on my second/third round for most).
I've learned so much!
If you ever get a chance, the Hermitage is one of the best in the world. I spent 2.5 days there.
I lived in Europe for 2 years and was fortunate to make it to every major museum in Western Europe, this was before the Wall fell.
Its one of my lifes ambitions to be able to spend a week at the Hermitage.
Art is one of the passions of my life, and one of the few things I feel that I can speak of with some authority, it is just a crying shame that folks think a piece such as the OP posted is actually good art.
This is one of the reasons why the arts need to be taught in schools, so many programs are being cut.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:39 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
I lived in Europe for 2 years and was fortunate to make it to every major museum in Western Europe, this was before the Wall fell.
Its one of my lifes ambitions to be able to spend a week at the Hermitage.
Art is one of the passions of my life, and one of the few things I feel that I can speak of with some authority, it is just a crying shame that folks think a piece such as the OP posted is actually good art.
This is one of the reasons why the arts need to be taught in schools, so many programs are being cut.
There's no accounting for the lack of a good, solid education.
People fight knowledge all the time.

I like walking into a room knowing who almost every artist is...
Have you been to the Prado and Theissen in Madrid?

Old 02-13-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
There's no accounting for the lack of a good, solid education.
People fight knowledge all the time.

I like walking into a room knowing who almost every artist is...
Have you been to the Prado and Theissen in Madrid?
It simply astounds me that folks would rather wallow in ignorance rather than open their minds and learn something.
I have always considered a day without learning something new to be a wasted day.
I was at the Prado in 84, went back to the Theissen in 85.
Seeing the El Grecos at the Prado was a revelation, kind of like seeing a Van Gogh in person for the first time.
Pictures of El Grecos art simply do him no justice.
One of my fave El Greco portraits;

Haunting, isnt it?
His command of chiaroschoro is amazing!

Old 02-13-2012, 12:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
The pedulum always swings and I think we are seeing a very swift swings now.One only has to look at the last mid terms to the state house swing to see that.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:39 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,353 times
You two should really get a room.
I have had, and am still getting a very good education. I just got my PSAT scores and I was in the 92 percentile in all of the subjects.
I think most art is beautiful art. This painting was very well done, it's a shame that libs can't get past the message and see what a good job he did. Shows just how open minded you all are.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
You two should really get a room.
I have had, and am still getting a very good education. I just got my PSAT scores and I was in the 92 percentile in all of the subjects.
I think most art is beautiful art. This painting was very well done, it's a shame that libs can't get past the message and see what a good job he did. Shows just how open minded you all are.
Having an educated discussion about art offends you?
Must be because you cant join in.
When you get an actual education about art, please, come join us in the discussion.
Having to resort to an ad hominem shows just how educated you arent.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:04 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,353 times
Quote:
Having an educated discussion about art offends you?
Must be because you cant join in.
When you get an actual education about art, please, come join us in the discussion.
Having to resort to an ad hominem shows just how educated you aren't.
Yes because that discussion sounded so educational. Please. BTW I couldn't care less what you lefties think about me or my education.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Yes because that discussion sounded so educational. Please. BTW I couldn't care less what you lefties think about me or my education.
What a remarkably mature, erudite and intellectual post this is.
/sarc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies