Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:56 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The maximum a graduate student can borrow from the federal government is $20,500 a year, including $8,500 from subsidized loans where the federal government absorbs the interest rate while the student is in school. Over the course of a degree, graduate students can accrue up to $138,500 in direct federal loans, with $65,500 from subsidized loans.
This CNN article discusses the graduate student loan interest subsidy being repealed as a means for paying for Pell Grants and other opportunities. But what strikes me the most is that a graduate student can obtain a whopping $138,500 in federally-backed student loans!

This of course on top of the whopping $57,500 that can borrowed for an undergraduate degree! Not even accounting for private student loans!

Couple this with parents and college students who fail to do their due diligence on college costs, fail to keep a runnng tab of how much they've borrowed, and fail to be efficient in finising college in a timely manner.....no wonder we have a personal student loan crisis!

The President castigates universities for raising tuition prices, but he conveniently failed to mention that this is directly related to the amount of money a student can borrow. How is this not obvious to the President and our elected officials?

Debt ceiling deal to hit grad students hard - Aug. 1, 2011

Undergraduate Loan Questions - How much can I borrow under a Stafford Loan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 08:04 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
I am a preceptor for doctoral level students at work and am continually shocked by the amount of student loan debt they have accrued. My current student has over $85K in loans and my previous student had over $100K. It has really gotten out of hand the amount that students are allowed to borrow and the sheer cost of education.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I am a preceptor for doctoral level students at work and am continually shocked by the amount of student loan debt they have accrued. My current student has over $85K in loans and my previous student had over $100K. It has really gotten out of hand the amount that students are allowed to borrow and the sheer cost of education.
Those are astounding amounts for sure! Unfortunately, $85K+ in student loans is more common than we think. Ironically, even historically lucrative professions such as doctors, lawyers, scientists, etc. arent' guaranteed to be able to afford to pay back student loans without having to sacrifice other niceties such as marriage, buying a house, having children, etc.

I have lurked on student loan forums just to get a general idea of how student loans are severely depressing the economy, and i'm here to tell you it gets downright disgusting. Most of the people are to blame for their financial morass, but the system itself makes it far too easy to get money.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:17 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This CNN article discusses the graduate student loan interest subsidy being repealed as a means for paying for Pell Grants and other opportunities. But what strikes me the most is that a graduate student can obtain a whopping $138,500 in federally-backed student loans!

This of course on top of the whopping $57,500 that can borrowed for an undergraduate degree! Not even accounting for private student loans!

Couple this with parents and college students who fail to do their due diligence on college costs, fail to keep a runnng tab of how much they've borrowed, and fail to be efficient in finising college in a timely manner.....no wonder we have a personal student loan crisis!
Higher education system in US is such a rip-off.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If by "rip-off" you mean students are paying far more than the value of the services received and the earnings potential, I'd have to agree with you for the most part.

What I thoroughly detest in regards to higher ed is the propensity of American's to believe that a "big name" school is necessary to get an equal education. That mentality alone saddles our citizens with insurmountable student loan debt, not even factoring in other variables like personal irresponsibility.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:27 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Go into the natural sciences. If you're halfway intelligent, universities will pay you to get your Ph.D there.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Go into the natural sciences. If you're halfway intelligent, universities will pay you to get your Ph.D there.
That's certainly an option that should be explored. However, I do believe that too many students go to college "just to get a degree" and don't do enough pre-planning to set themselves up for Ph.D science studies.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:35 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think it depends. I went to a very expensive private college for my first one. After that, I realized the value I was getting by going to this expensive college was negligible. I went to a MUCH less expensive state school for my subsequent degrees. I was able to pay those directly out of pocket. I felt like I got a very good education but I think with things like that, you get out what you put in. I know my level of income would not even be remotely possible without those degrees, but I am a mathematician/CS/business degree(s) person. Perhaps that's really the difference.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:38 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
Universities should require students to take more personal finance courses than the other worthless gen ed classes.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:41 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,682,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

The President castigates universities for raising tuition prices, but he conveniently failed to mention that this is directly related to the amount of money a student can borrow. How is this not obvious to the President and our elected officials?

Debt ceiling deal to hit grad students hard - Aug. 1, 2011

Undergraduate Loan Questions - How much can I borrow under a Stafford Loan
Well, Obama took over the student loans, so I guess he is trying to milk the students dry.

The college tuition is out of whack, and is immune to market corrections, because government got involved.

You would have thought, that with government tuition grants that the colleges would be seeing an artificially created rise in profits, and would be able to lower costs across the board. Instead, they found if they jacked up tuition costs, then the money from government grants, and the need for even more grants and tuition assistance, goes up too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies