Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be legal to distribute leaflets calling for the execution of homosexuals?
Yes 28 32.56%
No 53 61.63%
Not sure 5 5.81%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:26 AM

499 posts, read 581,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
why do you have to get married? what if i don't condone it?
I didn't HAVE to get married! I got married because I loved a man (the opposite sex to me) You are just splitting hairs with your stupid statements
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 10:31 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,402,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quenelle View Post
I didn't HAVE to get married! I got married because I loved a man (the opposite sex to me) You are just splitting hairs with your stupid statements
No, it was a valid question in response to your earlier post and you inadvertently just answered his question.

The fast that you admit to not being religious means that there are no reasons at all why a marriage involving a gay couple should bother you, aside from homophobia.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
We (as English) couldn't pass out leaflets calling for the execution of Muslims. We would be prosecuted as that is against the Racism Act (or what ever it is called) but it is quite acceptable for Muslims to demonstrate against Gays , demo at our welcome home parades for troops, burn Poppies on Remembrance Day and burn the American and British Flags (on British soil incidentally) We have the HUMAN RIGHTS ACTS which seems to protect them but not us. You must all have read about the recently released from prison Muslim terrorist who we can't even deport because of the HUMAN RIGHTS ACT, it is going to cost thousands of pounds per week to protect him against vigilantes (I just hope they get him!)
Do you all in America realize that I couldn't even post something like this on a British Forum?
The EDL now have an online presence on City-Data. At least this one can manage to string a sentence together, I'll give her that.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
The EDL now have an online presence on City-Data. At least this one can manage to string a sentence together, I'll give her that.
Exactly what is EDL? And thanks for the compliment which I'm sure is back handed!

Old 02-18-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
No, it was a valid question in response to your earlier post and you inadvertently just answered his question.

The fast that you admit to not being religious means that there are no reasons at all why a marriage involving a gay couple should bother you, aside from homophobia.
You forget that not all marriages are performed in church, very many are civil ceremonies between a man and a women. Why do two men or two women want to do this? Many heterosexual couples just live together, why can't gays do that? Why do they want the whole church thing? They are not special people, just gays. I am not homeophobic but neither do I understand two men committing buggery on each other, I haven't the faintest idea what two women do together and don't really want to know.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Exactly what is EDL? And thanks for the compliment which I'm sure is back handed!
"We (as English) couldn't pass out leaflets calling for the execution of Muslims. We would be prosecuted as that"

You're British right? You must know who the EDL are?

Then again, I did notice you use American spelling, e.g. "realize". Just curious.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
You forget that not all marriages are performed in church, very many are civil ceremonies between a man and a women. Why do two men or two women want to do this? Many heterosexual couples just live together, why can't gays do that? Why do they want the whole church thing? They are not special people, just gays. I am not homeophobic but neither do I understand two men committing buggery on each other, I haven't the faintest idea what two women do together and don't really want to know.
Perhaps because like you and your husband, they are in love and want to make a commitment to one another? Why shoudn't they have the same rights as heterosexual couples?

I bolded the last sentence because clearly you are homophobic, otherwise why would the the issue of gay couples getting married affect you at all, especially as you are not religious?

Old 02-18-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
"We (as English) couldn't pass out leaflets calling for the execution of Muslims. We would be prosecuted as that"

You're British right? You must know who the EDL are?

Then again, I did notice you use American spelling, e.g. "realize". Just curious.
I actually had to go on Google to find out what EDL meant. English Defence League! I have actually never heard of it and Yes, I do live in England, just shows what a sheltered life I lead. Actually I am not English (nor American) but live in England and am very loyal to it. If a country is good enough to live in then it is good enough to stand up for

Old 02-18-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Perhaps because like you and your husband, they are in love and want to make a commitment to one another? Why shoudn't they have the same rights as heterosexual couples?

I bolded the last sentence because clearly you are homophobic, otherwise why would the the issue of gay couples getting married affect you at all, especially as you are not religious?
If it makes you happy to call me homophobic then do so. I really don't care one way or another. I like to live and let live as far as possible but I don't have to AGREE in my heart with things. I have a right to an opinion and to express it just as loudly as homosexuals do. That doesn't make me wrong because I don't agree with gay marriages. Why can't they just get on quietly with their lives? Why do they for ever have to be 'in your face' with their demands?

Old 02-18-2012, 12:13 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,451,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
They said they were doing their "duty" as Muslims.

Given our strong protections of free speech, I'm presuming this type of leaflet would be legal to distribute in the U.S. - correct? As long as the leaflet isn't making a direct threat to harm someone, I think it should be legal.

BBC News - Derby men jailed for giving out gay death call leaflets

It should be legal to do this. The only kind of free speech that should be suppressed is slanderous speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies