Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be legal to distribute leaflets calling for the execution of homosexuals?
Yes 28 32.56%
No 53 61.63%
Not sure 5 5.81%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:15 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,576,108 times

Advertisements

wow,

I am shocked that so many people think this should be legal.

It's a form of threat. threatening others is form of harassment. Why would anybody think that violating the law should be legal?

I didn't know that i was hated so much.

disturbing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Should it be legal? Yes, it's protected under the first amendment...
Will it win the Muslim community in the US any fans? Nope.

When it comes to Muslims, Europeans seem to be far more Islamophobic than we do.
this is not protected under the first amendment.

threatening to kill people is not 'protected' in fact it's against the law.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Legal. It's freedom of speech. Freedom of speech protects even the most distasteful, disgusting opinions. If only that speech that's socially acceptable is permitted, we don't really have free speech.
there are laws against threatening others. this is not legal. i don't know what makes you think it is

Old 02-13-2012, 09:39 AM

78,452 posts, read 60,652,129 times
A lot of people here have obvious biases towards gays for religious and sometimes political or other reasons.

So, imagine the pamphlet calls for the same actions to be taken against blacks, jews, teaparty members, asians, atheists or pretty much any other type of group and do you see where it crosses the line?

I mean, imagine you have an almost all white suburb with blacks starting to move in and you start passing out pamphlets about how blacks are bad and need to be killed?

What if they were passing out these pamphlets in a muslim community in Michigan only targeting Christians for death? Or vice versa?

It's one thing to say they are going to hell, god hates them and so forth. When you start saying "hey let's kill all the gays", that's a call for action not the expression of a protected opinion about their salvation and what not.

Heck Fred phelps crazy WBC is legally savy enough not to call for the deaths of gays at the hands of the US populance, they know the law.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:46 AM

78,452 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Just to bring some people up to speed....here are the facts.

Quote:
Laws prohibiting hate speech are unconstitutional in the United States, outside of obscenity, defamation, incitement to riot, and fighting words.[52][53][54] The United States federal government and state governments are broadly forbidden by the First Amendment of the Constitution from restricting speech.
Hate speech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This would be the key area....depending upon the content of the pamphlet it could arguably go either way.

Fighting words - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-13-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
A lot of people here have obvious biases towards gays for religious and sometimes political or other reasons.

So, imagine the pamphlet calls for the same actions to be taken against blacks, jews, teaparty members, asians, atheists or pretty much any other type of group and do you see where it crosses the line?

I mean, imagine you have an almost all white suburb with blacks starting to move in and you start passing out pamphlets about how blacks are bad and need to be killed?

What if they were passing out these pamphlets in a muslim community in Michigan only targeting Christians for death? Or vice versa?

It's one thing to say they are going to hell, god hates them and so forth. When you start saying "hey let's kill all the gays", that's a call for action not the expression of a protected opinion about their salvation and what not.

Heck Fred phelps crazy WBC is legally savy enough not to call for the deaths of gays at the hands of the US populance, they know the law.

I know. it think it's amazing how HATED we are as gay people and how people don't even realize how differently they think of us compared to others. here is a situation where a group is calling to murder a group of others. in any other situation practically NOBODY would think that it should be legal. I just don't get it. How did being born gay ever hurt others?

Old 02-13-2012, 10:40 AM

499 posts, read 581,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I know. it think it's amazing how HATED we are as gay people and how people don't even realize how differently they think of us compared to others. here is a situation where a group is calling to murder a group of others. in any other situation practically NOBODY would think that it should be legal. I just don't get it. How did being born gay ever hurt others?
In England, the Muslims just don't pick on gays to be killed so don't feel hard done by. They pick on English people too, they rant and rave in their Mosques, they don't like you Americans much either! Imagine welcoming your troops home from a war zone and finding Muslims parading with 'anti' placards. On Rememberance Day in November, they burnt poppies and the British Flag. We are such a tolerant nation but in my heart I have murder

Old 02-13-2012, 11:43 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times
If someone wants to say "the laws of the U.S. should be changed to make homosexuality a capital crime", that would be entirely legal. That's not incitement to any illegal act, it's called petitioning the government for redress of grievances, and it's explicitly protected by the First Amendment. What the standards are in the UK, I don't know.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:47 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,472,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
A gay muslim ? Great idea.
Kinda like....

Home - - Log Cabin Republicans -

Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,247,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Seriously, 6 yes votes?

That's just hate is what that is. No place in America for that. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
believing in the Bill of Rlghts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies