Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 02:51 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Fire departments were privatized at one point. Read about the history of it and see how well it worked out.
We are talking about relying on government agencies at a NATIONAL level. You do realize that fire departments are not a national agency, don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 02:52 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Whatever government services I rely upon would absolutely become more efficient if they were privatized. I rely on people and markets, not government services.
People rely on other people and markets, and private enterprise whose idea of efficiency isn't to engage in welfare of consumers, much less that of the people/nation. Capitalism doesn't ride on the premise of general welfare, it operates on the grounds of "what is in it for me". And, in real world, that doesn't always translate to betterment of the society.

It is why government exists. To quote James Madison again:
"If men were angels, there would be no need for government"

Think about it.

Quote:
We are talking about relying on government agencies at a NATIONAL level. You do realize that fire departments are not a national agency, don't you?
And state governments are immune to all that. Really?

Old 02-14-2012, 02:52 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Fire departments were privatized at one point. Read about the history of it and see how well it worked out.
The problem with privatized fire is that a fire on your neighbors property can spread to yours. So if your neighbor has a fire, and is not signed up for service, it puts you at risk. Hence the necessity of socialized fire service.

But that principle does not apply to so many things that gov't has it's fingers in nowadays--everything from pro sports stadiums to card swipe fees at retail stores.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:00 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
People rely on other people and markets, and private enterprise whose idea of efficiency isn't to engage in welfare of consumers, much less that of the people/nation. Capitalism doesn't ride on the premise of general welfare, it operates on the grounds of "what is in it for me". And, in real world, that doesn't always translate to betterment of the society.

It is why government exists. To quote James Madison again:

Think about it.
The role of government is not to be a parent for people. The role of government is to protect basic freedoms. A free market economy is held up because of the other person's greed. If a company starts becoming greedy, someone will see that and sees an opportunity to draw customers away by branding themselves as the 'honest alternative'. The new company thrives and the old company fails. The other person's greed is what drives capitalism. The problem with government agencies is that they cannot go away. Take social security - it provides deplorable returns. Private investment has outpaced social security by leaps and bounds, but we still cannot get rid of it. If I could prove I have a financial product that gives people twice as much money in retirement as social security, there is not a way for me to enact my new system. That is the failure of government.

Quote:
And state governments are immune to all that. Really?
Obviously not...when did I say this?

A state government is obviously going to be better than a national government, and a local government is obviously going to be better than a state government. The smaller the user base, the easier it is to manage. Obviously.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:03 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
The role of government is not to be a parent for people. The role of government is to protect basic freedoms.
Correct. The next question... from who or what?

Quote:
A free market economy is held up because of the other person's greed...
There has never been a free market economy. There never will be. Why? Even that is in those wise words:

Quote:
Obviously not...when did I say this?

A state government is obviously going to be better than a national government, and a local government is obviously going to be better than a state government. The smaller the user base, the easier it is to manage. Obviously.
You see, you may not "say it", but the idea is ingrained in the rhetoric of the state-righters. There is nothing "obvious" about state governments operating with efficiency. They don't. They have as much motivation to be efficient as the federal government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The problem with privatized fire is that a fire on your neighbors property can spread to yours. So if your neighbor has a fire, and is not signed up for service, it puts you at risk. Hence the necessity of socialized fire service.
Houses don't exist in a vacuum, and neither do you. There is a reason you would rather live in the USA than on a remote island on your own.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:05 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
My friend asked me "What is a liberal?"

Show her this. LOL

History Lesson Joke - Liberals vs. Conservatives Joke

Old 02-14-2012, 03:09 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
A friend of mine said something to the effect of "I don't mean to ask a stupid question, but what is a liberal" (she obviously is not into politics...)
The best way to explain it is with an analogy.

There is a ship, and it is sinking in the North Atlantic's frigid waters. There is only one life-boat, which holds 8 people, perhaps as many as 10 if they are small in size.

Conservatives would select up to 10 people based on merit; yes, 90 people will die, but at least 10 will live.

Liberals would try to cram everyone on the ship into the life-boat (at least everyone except white heterosexual males) and it would capsize killing all and no one would survive.

That's the difference between conservatives and liberals.

Analogizing...

Mircea

Old 02-14-2012, 03:18 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Oh, you mean the Norway that in the big mac index consistently rates as one of the most expensive places in the world to live? Do you mean the norway that has a 25% VAT? The norway that has lived off of oil money since the '70s? The norway that only has to manage a national population base the size of Washington DC?

Yeah...not the best comparison to the United States.
and that means they're not a democracy?

Proof that it's true: Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice | Racism, Bias & Politics | LiveScience

Old 02-14-2012, 05:09 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Whatever government services I rely upon would absolutely become more efficient if they were privatized. I rely on people and markets, not government services.
Quote:
“only 21 percent of charter schools rate effective or better … Meanwhile … 72 percent of traditional school buildings and 88 percent of traditional school districts rate effective or better on the state report card.
Ohio’s for-profit charter schools make great businesses, crappy educators

Yep, profit motive always leans to better outcomes, NOT.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:11 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
IMO someone either who is without a common sense brain or someone who is in some way dependent on the government for something.

We can't pay for a wish list of free things without government collapse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies