Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 04:17 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did Bush make any wild promises about cutting unemployment as soon as Obama did? Maybe you could show us where he made those promises. If not, admit that you are just trying to deflect from the message from the CBO by bringing up Bush. I guess you don't understand about deflection of that type, though.
Post his promise then. He didn't "promise" to rid the US of unemployment. That's you and your tin foil hat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 04:18 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I'm raising my offer! $1000 for any right winger that brought up the "real unemployment rate" when it peaked under Bush in 2004!

http://www.jayblock.com/wp-content/u...yment-rate.gif
Deflection, when called should stop about that point. You have been called since you know that nobody can find the information you are so willing to pay for.

Do you think that you have about buried the original topic of this thread with your deflections and my out rage at you? I bet you have done a great job of it
with my help.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:20 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Deflection, when called should stop about that point. You have been called since you know that nobody can find the information you are so willing to pay for.
We have a huge trove of archived posts.

You right wing hypocrites can't find a single post where you complained about the "real unemployment" rate under Bush?

Old 02-16-2012, 04:24 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,391 times
How many right wingers blamed Bush for their unemployment when he was in office? How does that complaint fit within their Personal Responsibility mantra?

It's my responsibility to find myself a job. It's not Obama's. Just like on a large ship, when you steer the boat, the response is not immediate. His actions will result in slow changes though I don't put the economy squarely into any President's hands, it's just too big. I don't expect Obama to find me a job nor do I demand that he create one. But I sure do realize that the Republicans are not going to help me: no unemployment benefits, they fight FOR outsourcing jobs and AGAINST any regulation that would require our corporate "citizens" to behave themselves, they oppose raising wages, time and again they oppose anything that makes life easier for citizens while paving the road with gold for businesses and corporations who show no interest in national borders.

I hope things turn around. I wish it would happen faster. My extended family is in dire straits.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:29 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,001 times
Quote:
I don't know where your quote came from but is surely makes Democrat Presidents look very poor. Obama promised to do all those things about jobs if he could have his stimulus bill that nobody read before they voted for it
1) Obama's actually doing what he said he would do. The economy is unquestionably improving -- deal with it.

2) Obama wanted more stimulus than he got.

3) Obama wanted to give states federal money to save public sector workers -- many GOP-controlled states refused or used the money for other things (and their states' employment situation has been comparatively worse).

Quote:
and the 1981 - 1982 years were surely involved with the man who left office in 1981.
Nope. It was Reagan. The Carter recession, during which unemployment hit about 8 percent, had ended by the middle of his first year in office. Contraction of the money supply began during the first year of Reagan's term and unemployment shot upward immediately afterward. The recession of which you speak began in late 1981 and the unemployment continued its upward climb beginning in mid 1982 and did not stop until more than a year later. It's a much different situation than what Obama inherited because Reagan inherited an economy that was vulnerable to energy crises and moderate inflation, but otherwise mostly on solid footing. Obama inherited a 1932-style economic disaster, and he's done pretty well under the circumstances.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:56 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I have $500 for any right winger that brought up the "real unemployment level" when Bush was in office.

How come we only hear about the "real unemployment level" when right wing partisans want Obama to look bad?

If the "real unemployment level" is so much more valid...How come they never brought it up when their side was in control?
It wasn't discussed because we were too busy tamping down false outrage by Democrats over 4-5% unemployment under George W. Bush.

If anyone should look stupid right now, it's Liberals and Democrats over that episode. Completely embarrassing indeed.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:59 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Still grasping for the straws? Face it, in spite of the best GOP efforts, the Economy is recovering.
Series title: (Seas) Labor Force Participation Rate

http://data.bls.gov/generated_files/graphics/LNS11300000_51730_1329436772194.gif (broken link)

Old 02-16-2012, 05:11 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
The exact same formulas used by the last 5 Presidents are used by this one.

Suddenly, Republicans are paying attention. I wonder why?

Old 02-16-2012, 06:41 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,392,132 times
Maybe look at this from another angle. I heard on the Tom Sullivan Radio Show today that the total employed in this country is about 58.4%. I think it hit it's lowest ever just last summer at 58.2%. Of that, there are about 8 million part time workers that would work full time, but still can't find work. That number is not changing. The highest employment numbers were in the last administraion at over 63%.

Sure the economy is doing better but we were so down anyway that any figures in the positive direction look promising even if only transitory or provisional. I think we have all lowered our expectations just a little the last few years.

I have a small relocation business which has been busier the last few months. I'll take it. I'm not complaining. If the economy continues to get better, the gas prices don't rise too badly, the stock market, housing market, food market, market market, doesn't fluctuate too much, I'd be a happy camper.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:45 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,936,194 times
This didn't happen overnight and Obama is only one of the participants in this dismal failure. As to the economy improving. I think that is a joke. Things look good for the govt and friends economically in many respects, but not for Joe Bloe on the street. Those numbers imo underestimate the job losses. Rumors are that Hillary wants to head the World Bank so I feel that things will continue on the same path they have been of global corporate fascism unless people put a stop to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies