Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:07 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
If they (the workers) benefit from the union doing their contract negotiations, why should they not have to join or pay dues?
Let' see....
you're saying that if you or the union is of the opinion that what they are doing is "good" for the worker, then the worker loses the right to decide for himself whether or not he wants to join a union or even pay dues to said union.

You could use that mindset for a LOT or "I know what's good for you" policies.

Sorry, I've seen the long-term damage that unions do. Personally I think most of them are pond scum, but if workers want to unionize and collectively bargain, I have no problem with it.

It is the idea of forcing all workers whether they want to or not to belong to a union or at least pay dues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 12:09 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You can't substantiate a single word of this, especially the "lower safety standards" claim.
I can and have witness it. Transfering from NJ to NC in same co. same position lower pay. Had to get veh. taken off line because of broken lights,horns,fuel lines. mgt. in NC had to be remined of the safety rules of the CO.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:10 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It doesn't. It benefits corporations, just like everything else the Republican's do.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
how much would those cars be if senior management wasn't making millions, gathering in stock options which they'll sell off at retirement, or toting around their "golden parachutes?"
:d

Old 02-17-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The golden parachute would be gone if the government would stay out of business. No business should be too big to fail. It is time for the corruption in our nation to stop and as long as our politicans are courting those that are robbing everybody, it will continue.

I worked at a job that required a master's degree and never made as much as the union workers starting salary. I am not complaining about what I made. I am doing just fine because I worked hard and saved. When union workers make the higher salaries, it just raises the prices of everything in the area. It is useless to make so much money. I smile every time I pay taxes and realize their greed is costing them more money.
Sure you did

Old 02-17-2012, 12:17 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
So hundreds of workers are going to negotiate their own contracts or work for what ever is offered?
Why not? The bigger question becomes is why should the union be able to interfere with a contract between the private company and private citizen?

My take on it is this, if you are not going to join a Union whatever salary or benefits you receive are not guaranteed based on the union contract. You're salary and benefits will be based on whatever is offered and you will accept. If you think it's unfair you of course can join the union...

Old 02-17-2012, 12:20 PM

The benefits of unions if that the protect workers by forcing employers to pay fairer wages, have better safety standards, and offer benefits. The downside is they are seniority based in layoffs and firings. So if you put in 15 years but everyone else puts in 30, even if you are more beneficial you will go. Also they can encourage a decent amount of giving the jobs to friends/family over people applying off the street. In the end though given how i see unionized workers care for their employees i would say they are better then the alternative.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Why not? The bigger question becomes is why should the union be able to interfere with a contract between the private company and private citizen?

My take on it is this, if you are not going to join a Union whatever salary or benefits you receive are not guaranteed based on the union contract. You're salary and benefits will be based on whatever is offered and you will accept. If you think it's unfair you of course can join the union...
Actually considering a union votes on all benefits and salary increases, you get a say in that as well .

Old 02-17-2012, 12:23 PM

994 posts, read 725,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyouraveragebear View Post
No hard feelings.

You know, right-to-work reminds me of charter schools. The public schools were failing, so charter schools were born. I say, why not fix the problem at its source instead of treating it like a redheaded stepchild? Just like why not work to fix the problem of corruption in the unions instead of instilling a right-to-work law?
You can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. Why work to fix a union that just isn't needed to begin with? They serve no purpose. The majority of people aren't in union jobs and yet they still get vacation, overtime, sick days, insurance, etc. So why have a union?

Old 02-17-2012, 12:26 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
You can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. Why work to fix a union that just isn't needed to begin with? They serve no purpose.
Maybe the lack of unionization is the reason worker pay and benefits have now been flat-lined for about 30 years, in real dollars, while the executives and corporate profits are out the roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies