Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:36 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,957,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Chicago Teachers Union is asking for raises amounting to 30 percent over the next two years, the opening salvo in heated contract negotiations with school officials who are implementing a longer school day across Chicago Public Schools next school year.

Documents obtained by the Tribune show that in the face of Mayor Rahm Emanuel's expansion of the school day, the union has led with an offer seeking a 24 percent raise in the 2012-13 school year and a 5 percent increase the following year, the net effect being 30 percent.
Link: Chicago teachers asking for 30% raises over next 2 years - chicagotribune.com

I hope it passes. The liberals in Chicago who keep supporting the unions and foisting dopes like Barry Obama and Dick Durbin on the rest of the country deserve to pay. Dearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 09:39 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Give it to them. The City of Chicago deserves to fail.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:42 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Give it to them. The City of Chicago deserves to fail.
And when it does,I'll volunteer to be one of the Bulldozer operators that helps shove it off into the lake.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:42 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Link: Chicago teachers asking for 30% raises over next 2 years - chicagotribune.com

I hope it passes. The liberals in Chicago who keep supporting the unions and foisting dopes like Barry Obama and Dick Durbin on the rest of the country deserve to pay. Dearly.
This is an example of the greed of the left probably going to win out. I wonder how that public employees' union will manage to prove that it was the greed of the right that caused their raises. I am sure they will try but do wonder how they will convince lefties that it was the right and not their greedy membership that "broke" the city.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:44 AM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Guys, it's a union proposal...they can ask for whatever they want.

If you have been following things in Chicago....Emanuel has been all over the unions seeking ways to cut costs and close the city budget gap. You just don't hear about it (unless you follow Chicago news) because Emanuel is a (D) and so you don't have the nasty political fight garnering attention like in Wisconsin with Walker (R).

P.S. The people in Chicago do indeed pay dearly for the entrenched corruption and cronyism. Property taxes are brutal and they now have the 2nd highest sales tax (regressive against the poor) of any major metro area.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

If you have been following things in Chicago....Emanuel has been all over the unions seeking ways to cut costs and close the city budget gap. You just don't hear about it (unless you follow Chicago news) because Emanuel is a (D) and so you don't have the nasty political fight garnering attention like in Wisconsin with Walker (R).

P.S. The people in Chicago do indeed pay dearly for the entrenched corruption and cronyism. Property taxes are brutal and they now have the 2nd highest sales tax (regressive against the poor) of any major metro area.
MG,I know what you do for a living and I'd say you are damn good at it,BUT IL has been raped in recent years over education costs...it's not just the cost of wages,but the perks...the teacher's assistants,nepotism and on and on that is bad here...sometimes enough is enough.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:48 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
I hope the city says no, and counters with a SINGLE Genuine offer that makes sense.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:48 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
And when it does,I'll volunteer to be one of the Bulldozer operators that helps shove it off into the lake.
LOL..I couldn't rep you again.....this is hilarious!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
LOL..I couldn't rep you again.....this is hilarious!
Old buddy,you can NOT imagine how bad those of us here in southern IL hate Chicago politicians.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:54 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Maybe most people don't understand how unions work. Like they always ask for more than they expect to get knowing that they can adjust down and still be ahead.

I will never forget how stupid the teachers in my district were in the middle 70s. They called in their newfound union people to run a protest for them and all of a sudden found that the union making ridiculous demands was at least as bad as the demands made by the lawyers representing the school board. There were three of us members who refused to go along with the unilon and one of us had been a union member, for years at a Goodrich plant. He kept trying to back them off but they had to make their attempt and they learned that union bargaining is never a bed of roses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies