Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:27 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Is America a blank cultural slate? Or do we have an historically mainstream culture that is worthy of respect and affirmation?

This is a book review of "America's British Culture" by Russell Kirk:

"He argues that America still has an identifiable and redeemable culture, and that this culture is British in form and substance ... 'America’s British Culture' documents for the non-scholar the overwhelming influence of English literature, law, government, religion, mores, customs, and folkways on American life, from its colonial beginnings to the present generation."

For all of its flaws - and I'm sure some of the vandals on this site will soon be pointing them out - Anglo-American culture is remarkable for its generosity and ability to assimilate that which is good and enduring in other cultures. But this is only true insofar as the center holds firm. Without that healthy core, it all falls apart, and that's what seems to be happening today.
American Culture is good. It took the best from all the cultures of the world and put it in once place for the first time ever in human history. It was never perfect, but the core ideals are as sound as any culture and far more dynamic than anything that's come before it.

The problem I see is American Culture's pollution and degradation into "consumer culture". We still have innovators, thinkers, artists and craftsmen but they are fewer and farther between these days. The majority have found themselves in an environment where they work meaningless, unfulfilling service sector jobs in uninspiring environments and focus their entire lives on acquisition, distraction and instant gratification... and they should, because that's what a never-ending deluge of advertisements, movies, TV shows ect. have told them to do from cradle to grave. We were dumbed-down so a few people could make a buck or three, and now our culture is withering because of it.

Being American was never supposed be about having lots of stuff, it was about being intelligent, innovative, free to think outside the box, able to share (and argue) competing ideas/points, independent and proud. A comfortable, well-to-do (yet decidedly not decadent lifestyle like those damn European royals) was supposed to be a side-effect of all that, not the goal itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 11:30 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I'm British. I would say that culturally, the UK and USA are very different as of now, culturally, politically and socially. I have said it numerous times, but I think that Britain has far more in common with her north-west European neighbours, even if many British people will deny this until they are blue in the face.

The US and the UK have grown further and further apart as genetically, the US has become less and less British since it won independence.

I'll break down the differences for you though:

- We like different sports
- Our drinking culture is mirrored only in NW Europe and Australia.
- We have a constitutional monarchy
- We generally don't like firearms
- We do not believe the right to free speech includes inciting hatred
- Our comedy, television and film is totally different (self-depreciating and drier)
- We do not like to make eye contact
- Customer service in the UK doesn't involve acting like the customer's best friend
- We have taken in many immigrants from east Asia, eastern Europe. The US has taken in many Latin American immigrants.
- We are nowhere near as car-centric
- Poverty in the UK isn't as racial.
- We generally don't like knocking stuff down and building too many skyscrapers.
- We believe that healthcare is a right.
- We have slashed our military over the past few decades.
- Our attitude towards government and taxation is somewhat different.

I'm sure I can think of more!
Considering regional differences within the US, it seems like there is less difference between the Northeastern US and UK than between other parts of the US and UK, while the areas of the US most different from the UK are the West and South.

As for the US not taking in many immigrants from east Asia - not familiar with the West or for that matter with the NY metro area or even Boston these days?

Old 02-18-2012, 01:31 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,402,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Considering regional differences within the US, it seems like there is less difference between the Northeastern US and UK than between other parts of the US and UK, while the areas of the US most different from the UK are the West and South.

As for the US not taking in many immigrants from east Asia - not familiar with the West or for that matter with the NY metro area or even Boston these days?
I live in the northeast, so to an extent, yes. New Englanders definitely have a few strands of British DNA in the characteristics of people. Boston and other cities definitely have somewhat of a British feel and more people up here seem to look British (or Irish) than other places I've been in the US. That being said, the mainstream aspects of culture are still distinctly American, but I see your point.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
As for the OP...America does indeed have a historical European (mostly British, yes) culture. I'm not sure it's something to celebrate, necessarily, given its history....
Oh it's definitely something to celebrate. In the Western hemisphere, the top three nations for standard of living are the USA, Canada, and Barbados, all countries that were once British colonies and benefitted from that cultural influence.

In fact immigrants are pouring into the English speaking nations from the non-English speaking and influenced nations.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:25 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,296,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Oh it's definitely something to celebrate. In the Western hemisphere, the top three nations for standard of living are the USA, Canada, and Barbados, all countries that were once British colonies and benefitted from that cultural influence. .
Wasn't Canada also a French colony, as well as large portions of the USA?

Old 02-18-2012, 03:58 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Some of the things listed earlier, such as the different approach to interaction with retail clerks, hardly qualify as cultural differences. At a less trivial plane, similarities abound.

For example both the US and GB had the notion of national greatness, religiously derived. Most of the Elizabethan Brit Seadogs were devout Calvinists and it was widely believed that the English had replaced the Jews as God's elect nation. Constantine was part English, it was said. His mother Helena was daughter of British King Coilus. So with such factoids the idea of England as Elect Nation was built.

The US similarly had the idea of the 'City on a Hill' from colonial leader Winthrop, later resurrected by Ronald Reagan.

Many other common dreams and ideas can be found: the idea of the lawless frontier was important in the forging of the US, and similarly the Brit's had the slogan of "No peace beyond the line" from the Elizabethan sea-faring era.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:04 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,202,972 times
What the USA inherited from the British is the English language and an elitist ego. The type of ego that says the USA is the center of the world and English is lingua franca. Therefore, English and our western way of life should be indoctrinated across the world.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:02 PM

17,007 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Hence once that whole independence thing in 1776 was fully worked out; we have been allies for most of darn near a century.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:18 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,402,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Hence once that whole independence thing in 1776 was fully worked out; we have been allies for most of darn near a century.
Your current president doesn't share that view. He seems to have always had a major axe to grind with Britain.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:43 PM

831 posts, read 681,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Your current president doesn't share that view. He seems to have always had a major axe to grind with Britain.

Which he has a right to, if you so think so. I dont think much of britain myself, majority of people seems to live their lives in the past as in rule britania but then came the colapse of their colonies then it was all downhill from then onwards.

Those poms are so stuck up and self righteous about everything. And now they have come full circle with the muslim problems they now have all thanks to colonies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies