Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 01:53 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,215,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Ha, that would make it too easy for you. My sixth child is 4 weeks old and here in the same room.
So if you're such a super duper husband provider, and you have six kids, what are you doing playing on the city data board 24/7? I'm a mom, plus I worked part time from home doing consulting when my kids were that age, and I own a business now that they're much older. I have five kids. My husband is a partner in a different business. When my kids were babies my husband and I didn't have time to watch a TV show, let alone play on the computer half the day. I smell a rat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 01:57 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,628,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Boy are you wrong.
I am the daughter of a feminist, who is also the daughter of one.
My daughter is also a feminist.
How many generations is that?
Try again.
Feminism prior to the 1970s was more concerned with bettering the condition of women in society and establishing more rights for women, rather than knocking down men and getting revenge on men.

Comparing 1950s/60s feminism with feminism from the '70s on is like comparing Nelson Mandela to Robert Mugabe

Old 02-20-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
When you become teens perhaps, but young kids don't have that issue :-P.
Our district starts the IXL math online program in 2nd grade. I'm not sure what they do for reading and english with the younger kids, because my boys are out of elementary now.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:00 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,063,970 times
I feel sorry for any men who marry feminists and then raise their children to become feminists. In turn, they'll grow up into misandrists supporting anti-double standards and seeing all normal men as pigs and evil.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:00 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,299,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Our district starts the IXL math online program in 2nd grade. I'm not sure what they do for reading and english with the younger kids, because my boys are out of elementary now.
Yes but your district is not the rule it's the exception. My little sister goes to private school,i have friends with kids in school, and none of them do online schooling.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Yes but your district is not the rule it's the exception. My little sister goes to private school,i have friends with kids in school, and none of them do online schooling.
Most districts are moving in that direction. The online programs time how long it takes kids to do each problem and logs which questions they get right or wrong, and where exactly they're making mistakes. It lets the instructor see exactly which areas each child (and the class as a whole) is having problems, and which areas they've mastered, so they can tailor instruction to the needs of the kids quickly. Our test scores have really improved since they started the program, and it's just a matter of time before it's adopted in your district as well. It's the future.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:06 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,037,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Feminism prior to the 1970s was more concerned with bettering the condition of women in society and establishing more rights for women, rather than knocking down men and getting revenge on men.

Comparing 1950s/60s feminism with feminism from the '70s on is like comparing Nelson Mandela to Robert Mugabe
Feminism is still about betting the condition of women in society.
Thank you for the revisionist history lesson.
BTW, the grandmother I spoke of was a suffragette, hardly a feminist of the 50s.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:15 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,037,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
You would think that with all the wonderful progress of feminism in the last century - the right to vote, the right to divorce at will, contraception and "the pill", the right to have their own children murdered in the womb, the right to romance without strings, the right to reject men for lesbianism, massive economic gains and financial independence, feminist domination of the American workplace, female dominance in academia, a majority of college graduates now being female, etc. etc. etc. - that women would be getting happier and happier and happier!

Instead the reverse is true. The more feminism gains, the more women lose. Women are becoming increasingly more miserable with every nail in the coffin of the patriarchy that once protected them. Read the data: The Paradox of Declining Female Happiness.
Not all of these feminism gains are bad things ... The right to vote, the rights to pursue financial gains and independence and the ability to pursue higher education are good things. The other stuff, in my opinion, does contribute to the unhappiness of women and has had negative impacts upon society as a whole.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:15 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,299,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Most districts are moving in that direction. The online programs time how long it takes kids to do each problem and logs which questions they get right or wrong, and where exactly they're making mistakes. It lets the instructor see exactly which areas each child (and the class as a whole) is having problems, and which areas they've mastered, so they can tailor instruction to the needs of the kids quickly. Our test scores have really improved since they started the program, and it's just a matter of time before it's adopted in your district as well. It's the future.
Moving yes, however they will not be there for some time.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Feminism is still about betting the condition of women in society.
Thank you for the revisionist history lesson.
BTW, the grandmother I spoke of was a suffragette, hardly a feminist of the 50s.
It's about having choices. If you want to stay home with kids--terrific. If you want to be President, that's terrific too. Every human being should have the right to make choices about their own life, and they shouldn't be held back in those choices because of their gender.

I don't understand why some men feel threatened by women being able to set their own course in life. If they want to marry a woman who's main goal in life is to be a wife and mother, then they can do that--they can find someone with the same goals. I've been married over 25 years, and my husband and I look at life as an adventure together. I don't like to mop floors or do the laundry any more than he does, so why should I get stuck with it all the time? We compromise where we can, hire out the stuff that makes us both crazy, and everyone pulls their load. It works for us, and it works well for our family. Another bonus is that my boys also pitch in, and it's helped them become self sufficient young men--when they go off to college I know they're going to be able to take care of themselves and they won't starve. It's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies