Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should parents be able to circumcise their son?
Yes 206 75.74%
No 66 24.26%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I just asked a doctor, just now, and she said that circumcision greatly reduces the spread of STIs and HIV.
How? Are Europeans more prone to STIs and HIVs?

PS. There is not a single doctor in my family who would agree with that doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 02:58 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Infants don't remember things like that, young kids do. Also, less nerve endings in infants that are developed, so less pain involved.
While they may not remember, what's this about less nerve endings? Do you have proof of this?

It's very easy to say that an infant experiences less pain....don't really have a patient that's able to give a contrary viewpoint, do you?

Old 02-21-2012, 03:00 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
How? Are Europeans more prone to STIs and HIVs?

PS. There is not a single doctor in my family who would agree with that doctor.
Just the uncircumcised ones are more prone to spreading it

Old 02-21-2012, 03:02 PM

779 posts, read 537,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
When you can point out to me where in my posts I said that, we might be able to have a discussion. I certainly included the reality of it being a preference to most women, but I never said what you are implying. I am Jewish and a woman and yes, I believe their are valid reasons for the practice for various reasons.
Ah but we ARE having a discussion despite your protests otherwise. You know, you are replying to me; hello?

But to address your post above, sure thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I don't know about the "argument", but the "aesthetics" can be very compelling.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:03 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Just the uncircumcised ones are more prone to spreading it
HIV/STDs must be a non-threat in Muslim countries.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:04 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Then don't complain about female circumcision.
You can't have it both ways.

Do you really think that boys/men are unable to clean themselves?
Or do you think that they're too stupid?
Doesn't make sense.

You teach your male children good hygiene.

1,187 posts, read 995,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
No, everybody doesn't have the choice to do anything to their child... based on what their "personal" opinion. I said you can't handle it, because you won't support the premise of "right for their family" if it is something you personally disagree with. You've already used word "abusive". One could say, circumcision fits that premise. No? After all, you don't think female circumcision should allowed. Right?
I've already talked about the differences between the two. One is a very quick and easy procedure that does NOT continually cause pain and complications throughout the childs lifetime, where as the other (female circumcision) has nothing to do with health or well being but to make sure the female does NOT enjoy sex but has pain for the rest of her life.. A boy will not have pain for the rest of his life after this procedure and will have better health because of it.
Quote:
There's a lot that can and will go wrong over the life of a child. How do you pick and choose between what you want to go about pre-emptively?
I weight the pros and cons, the risks of holding off on doing something weighted against the risks of the procedure. That's how I came to all my decisions.
Quote:
You're asking for medical/public opinion on the subject? Is it something you use (you should clarify before the person wastes time coming up with a source)?
LOL! I've already said I listen to other people's opinions, but ultimately I decide based on everything I've learned. I was actually asking the poster to back up his claim that the hybene aspect was bogus, because there have been plenty of links to back up the claim that hygene and health is a big factor as to why we should do it. So he should be willing to back up his claim that it's BS.

779 posts, read 537,522 times
Yes, I'm sure that SOMEHOW infants are magically immune to pain, just for that moment when they are having a part of their body cut off!

Hey, since they can't feel it, let's just pierce and tattoo them too! Maybe we should brand them with a hot iron; after all, they can't feel it or remember it!

Old 02-21-2012, 03:08 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Good post, but it has little to do with my challenge of your statement that you are "Pro-Choice about EVERYTHING!!" So......you are except when you aren't?

And I actually think NOT circumcising is the hard choice. It's very easy to just go along with what everyone else is doing.
ROFL!! I guess it's all perspective, because from where I stand, there's more people ranting and raving about the "barbaric" practice than those who are doing it.

As far as choice goes.. I don't know how to explain being a parent to you any more than I already have. Parents can't leave every decision up to the child until their grown or they wouldn't make it to adulthood in the first place.

Do you have children? If you do, do you not decide what they eat, where they sleep, what school (or not) they go to, to vaccinate or not, when to take them to a doctor, when to cut their hair? There are more decisions we parents make for our children than not, why would I suddenly stop making that decision on something so significant as my child's health??

Old 02-21-2012, 03:11 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Exactly.
There is no health necessity these days.
We have soap and water.
As was mentioned in post #70, what about those who later in life become physically or mentally handicapped and can't wash themselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies