Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Let me ask you, what it is you hope that it will achieve?

If you say that you want to see the number of minority races enrolled in college, until the percentage of students from each race are equally represented, as is reflected in the general US population, then what happens when this has been achieved?
Then they will claim success and that America is a diversified nation where everyone is equal regardless of race/sex/etc.

It won't be up to par with MLK's dream of equality but the numbers are all that matters to some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 03:50 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,074,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Let me ask you, what it is you hope that it will achieve?

If you say that you want to see the number of minority races enrolled in college, until the percentage of students from each race are equally represented, as is reflected in the general US population, then what happens when this has been achieved?
What I want is there to be a time where minorities and women will have an equal opp,ortunity to be hired and to be accepted into universities. This will truly only happen, when white people no longer have a stranglehold in the power seats in the labor force. I would like to see 10% whites, 10% percent blacks, 10% women, 10% asian, 10% hispanic, and whatever numbers you want to use. Only when whites are no longer in charge over most employment opportunites and in charge of admissions in to colleges, will I truly be comfortable with lifting AA.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Then they will claim success and that America is a diversified nation where everyone is equal regardless of race/sex/etc.

It won't be up to par with MLK's dream of equality but the numbers are all that matters to some.
That is equality. When there are as many black hiring managers in fortune 500 companies as there are white, than you know you have equal opportunities.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
What I want is there to be a time where minorities and women will have an equal opp,ortunity to be hired and to be accepted into universities. This will truly only happen, when white people no longer have a stranglehold in the power seats in the labor force. I would like to see 10% whites, 10% percent blacks, 10% women, 10% asian, 10% hispanic, and whatever numbers you want to use. Only when whites are no longer in charge over most employment opportunites and in charge of admissions in to colleges, will I truly be comfortable with lifting AA.
Whites won't be in charge soon enough. The Hispanic population is quickly rising. Whites are already minorities in several states, one of them being Texas. Yet there is still the cry for AA. What is your opinion on that ? If Whites are minorities should they also be included in AA ?

4 states where Whites are now minorities. Can those 4 states drop AA now because they are no longer "in charge" ?

Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
"Sorry Sir, your'e not qualified for this job because you don't have a mother and a dad"....hey there boys, we dun disqaufied 'nother one.
Learning was never your strong suit.

Most of us can easily see the correlation between bastardization, poverty, education and crime.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Whites won't be in charge soon enough. The Hispanic population is quickly rising. Whites are already minorities in several states, one of them being Texas. Yet there is still the cry for AA. What is your opinion on that ? If Whites are minorities should they also be included in AA ?

4 states where Whites are now minorities. Can those 4 states drop AA now because they are no longer "in charge" ?
No, we keep AA until they don't have control over the majority of the ability to hire people. Its not about percentage of whites overall. Its about the percentage of whites who control the ability to hire people. Texas can have 30 million people, and whites make up less than 30 percent of the population. The key is making sure whites don't make up the majority of business owners, CEO's at major companies, they need to be minority in those power positions. That is when you get rid of AA.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:

Really?

According to the 2010 United States census, the racial and ethnic composition of Texas was the following:
White: 70.4% (Non-Hispanic Whites: 45.3%)
Black or African American: 11.8%
Native American: 0.7%
Asian: 3.8% (1.0% Indian, 0.8% Vietnamese, 0.6% Chinese, 0.4% Filipino, 0.3% Korean, 0.2% Pakistani, 0.07% Japanese, 0.05% Laotian, 0.05% Cambodian)
Pacific Islander: 0.1% (0.02% Guamanian, 0.01% Samoan, 0.01% Tongan, 0.01% Native Hawaiian)
Some other race: 10.5%
Two or more races: 2.7%
Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 37.6% (31.6% Mexican, 0.5% Puerto Rican, 0.2% Cuban)

Old 02-24-2012, 10:14 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
When you are identified by the color of your skin, you have lost the battle.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:16 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When you are identified by the color of your skin, you have lost the battle.
I'm easily identified by the color of my skin. It's unavoidable....and i'm doing just fine. Couldn't be better.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:06 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Learning was never your strong suit.

Most of us can easily see the correlation between bastardization, poverty, education and crime.
Yep...whatever you say!!!...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies