Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 03:09 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,529,708 times

Advertisements

On the radio I heard a talk show host say that allowing some people (in this case, elderly and disabled homeowners) to defer property taxes (as long as they stay in the home, i.e. until they move, sell, or die) is an idea that any conservative can support. (The taxes would be paid, with interest, when the house is sold or inherited.)

What is the conservative basis of supporting it, or at least, why do or should conservatives support it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 03:11 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,837,160 times
Not paying taxes is a GOP staple, I'm sure they love it.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:14 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,223,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
On the radio I heard a talk show host say that allowing some people (in this case, elderly and disabled homeowners) to defer property taxes (as long as they stay in the home, i.e. until they move, sell, or die) is an idea that any conservative can support. (The taxes would be paid, with interest, when the house is sold or inherited.)

What is the conservative basis of supporting it, or at least, why do or should conservatives support it?
Well if they are rich than it makes sense.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:16 PM

576 posts, read 586,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Not paying taxes is a GOP staple, I'm sure they love it.

Yet most of Obama's appointees dont pay their taxes.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:17 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,837,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThrillIsGone View Post

Yet most of Obama's appointees dont pay their taxes.
First post from a right winger and of course the classic "blame Obama" comes out,..I wonder if any thread can make it past the first page without the goons throwing in their dodge, twist, and "blame Obama" troll tactics.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:19 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,975,472 times
Quote:

As a conservative, property taxes of any kind are violation of individual liberty. Can you with a straight face claim a person is the sovereign owner of their property if they must pay property taxes? Does that not defeat the entire purpose of ownership? Can one keep their property and refuse to pay property tax? Can they even claim they own their own property when they pay property tax?

A person who pays property tax and claims they own the property is the same type of idiot who buys a car on a loan and claims they own the car.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:21 PM

994 posts, read 726,447 times
Quote:
First post from a right winger and of course the classic "blame Obama" comes out,..I wonder if any thread can make it past the first page without the goons throwing in their dodge, twist, and "blame Obama" troll tactics.
Well, your post was a bash conservatives post and was posted before the bash Obama post, so you really don't have any room to complain. You started it.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:21 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,298,881 times
Quote:

Default on all the government union pensions, shrink government and the above would be a slam dunk IMO.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:24 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,377,889 times
Quote:

I am conservative and think this is a compassionate position to take to give a break to the elderly and disabled. These people struggle with health issues and medication needs. It does not cost the state/locality nothing since they will collect all due taxes upon the sale or inheritance. If it was on the ballot in my state/locality I would vote yes.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:26 PM

576 posts, read 586,949 times
Quote:

I'm a right winger?

BTW, you were the 1st one to flame in this thread. You need to look at yourself before spouting off.

Are you seriously that out of touch with reality that you cant see you were (and always are) the 1st one to come to a thread with the intention to do nothing other than flame?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies