Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:11 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
A comparison of SAT/ACT scores of Southern whites v Northeast whites would certainly reflect this.

I realize this may be a bitter pill you to swallow.
Standardized testing is a HORRIBLE indicator of mental capacity...in fact, it's been proven to totally sap creativity from individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 01:34 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
^^^ I'd appreciate a link to your objection.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:52 PM

91 posts, read 93,720 times
First of all, I said "old money" in my definition of WASP. The average Southerner is clearly NOT "old money".

Second, to the "how nice of you to rank ethnicities" poster, I did this because I believe in equality. Right now there doesn't seem to be much equality at all in America or the world.

Third, standardized testing is most certainly NOT a fair way to judge people. There are millions of bright people who fled Third World countries, which have terrible education systems due to poverty, in favor of living in America where they could work hard and beat the odds.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:27 PM

566 posts, read 958,339 times
The Jews are by far the wealthiest and most powerful group per capita. They're only 2-3% of the US population, but control over 25% of the country's wealth.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:31 PM

566 posts, read 958,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Standardized testing is a HORRIBLE indicator of mental capacity...in fact, it's been proven to totally sap creativity from individuals.
I've never understood why people use the SAT/ACT to gauge IQ. It tests what you were supposed to have learned in k-11/12. However, if you never paid attention in middle school and were a slacker all throughout high school, you could be incredibly intelligent and still do poorly on the SAT/ACT simply because you never learned what's being asked on the tests.

It's not a coincidence that 99% of those who score high on the SAT/ACT also have very high GPAs.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:10 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinberglowenstein View Post
This list is the product of my own observations. I couldn't think of a better term than WASPs.
If Jews are an ethnic group, then Catholics are an ethnic group too!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:25 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinberglowenstein View Post
Is it just me or are all the different groups VERY different from one another? This is what I would guess the exact order is, from most to least:

1. "WASPs": "old money" people descended from Brits who immigrated between the Mayflower and the Revolution, concentrated in New England and parts of Virginia

2. Asian Americans (not including Indians/South Asians)

3. Indian Americans (South Asians)

4. Jews

5. Italian Americans

6. Arab Americans

7. white Southerners

8. Mexican Americans

9. Native Americans

10. African Americans

Why is this? It seems like none of the two groups are in the same class level. Comparing any two of them feels (to me) like comparing apples to oranges.

You are assuming that your personal prejudices or biases have anything to do with reality. This is a mistake that many people make.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,224 times
WASPS aren't an ethnic group, so throw that out.

Then it goes:

1. Indian Americans

2. East Asians

3. Middle Eastern

etc.

Do some research next time:

Indian Americans Most Educated, Richest, Says Pew Report - New America Media

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v64n4/v64n4p1.html

http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comp...p?ind=14&cat=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Househo...#Ethnic_groups

Old 11-20-2012, 01:08 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
I guess it sucks to be a black Southerner - the lowest of the low. I better turn in that doctorate and tell Hubby to resign from the bar. Seriously, I'll be glad to compare IQ's any day. For that matter, I'd even be willing to dig up the old ACT and GRE scores. Income potential is just as rooted in culture as it is IQ. Right now the primary cultures of those groups you have ranked lowest do not support personal achievement.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:37 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I guess it sucks to be a black Southerner - the lowest of the low. I better turn in that doctorate and tell Hubby to resign from the bar. Seriously, I'll be glad to compare IQ's any day. For that matter, I'd even be willing to dig up the old ACT and GRE scores. Income potential is just as rooted in culture as it is IQ. Right now the primary cultures of those groups you have ranked lowest do not support personal achievement.
Strange enough, black southerners tend to be among the highest among the blacks in the country. With cities like D.C. and Atlanta where a large, thriving middle-class black population exist, I find that hard to believe compared to cities like New York, Detroit, and Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies