Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 01:51 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,542,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I have had jobs where it became obvious who was getting away with what. Families who somehow were able to get $2000.00 a month in food stamps. The other people I worked with told me it's widely known who gets away with this.
I didn't know the families personally, just knew of them when they came in.
(And ironically I know of people who genuinely needed it, that got denied.)
I also know people that get the earned income tax credit, that work just enough to be able to get the earned income credit. A thousand per kid, at 4 or 5 kids apiece, adds up.
As for your suggestion, It is not my job to turn people in.
I don't work at that particular place any longer, thank God.

After the bolded I stopped reading. If you were trying to make a point, you lost it with the embellishment. Using your assumption of a single parent with 5 kids, the Federal Government does not pay out $2K in foodstamps to a family of 5 hell they don't even pay that much to a family of 10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 01:53 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,141,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I can't speak for Aero, but if they don't have any birth control than I think they shouldn't have sex. It really is that simple. And if you are too poor or not smart enough to take a walk to the store and buy a condom, then you absolutely shouldn't have kids.
This simple logic is what flies right over their heads. You'll need to elaborate on why condoms break and why Planned Parenthood is not on every street corner for them to have a light bulb moment.

Logic is not appreciated when trying to espouse personal responsiblity.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:53 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Apparently it's VERY hard, judging by the number of unplanned (or poorly planned) children being born every day... so again, how do you plan to enforce such a concept? How do we force personal responsibility - not to mention fail proof birth control - upon these folks?
I don't think most of these are due to failed birth control. The problem is choosing no birth control. Nothing is 100%, but do you really believe the problem would be as big as it is if people were trying to be preventative?

Old 02-27-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Mind your business. I find it disgusting that people like you tell religious people and people who are against abortions that they are irresponsible. Get over yourself.
I'm a taxpayer. Your business is my business if you're sucking off the government teat after making bad decisions.

The sooner you accept that, the better off you will be.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:54 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,075,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
So, using your theory, we could realistically get rid of sex ed because teen pregnancies still happen....we could get rid of the death penalty since crimes still happen....we could get rid of all laws that try to prevent bad decisions because bad decisions still happen.

We could do away with everything that deals with human nature because its going to happen anyway.

Right?

So why do we need WIC? Why not let these people live and die on their own bad decisions? Bad decisions are going to happen anyway, right?

So why throw money at it? If nothing will stop these bad decisions....whether it be personal responsibility or WIC....why do we need to have government involved at all?

That's the takeaway from your logic.
We dont want kids to suffer because of parents bad decisions. This is what you are not getting. We want to try to help the kids, its not their fault they were into a crappy situation. I'm guessing you are ok with kids dying because their parents can't feed them. That is my takeaway from your logic.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:56 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,445,348 times
If only Republicans would stop trying to block sex ed, contraceptions, and abortion, maybe we wouldn't have this problem. Oh well, common sense was never a GOP trait.

Just so the OP knows, as someone who has worked for nearly 4 years in a grocery store, most of the people on WIC weren't free loaders. They had either a father that impregnated the mother and then bailed after the birth, or were just a poor provider,abusive, etc.. or were military families and the father was out fighting the GOP's never ending wars.

What is it with republicans and their constant know it all, look down up on everyone attitude.

The OP rages over this thread over a program that barely costs any money but keeps families from starving to death.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:56 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,477,771 times
I think somewhere in this thread people got the reality and their feelings on how things should be mixed up. I believe that is the major disconnect here.

I agree, I think it is a bad idea to have children if you can't feed them yourself.

However, the kids are gonna keep coming if there is assistance or not. And society is going to pay for them one way or another.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
We dont want kids to suffer because of parents bad decisions. This is what you are not getting. We want to try to help the kids, its not their fault they were into a crappy situation. I'm guessing you are ok with kids dying because their parents can't feed them. That is my takeaway from your logic.
The crucial missing link in your argument: It's not HARD to NOT get pregnant. Whether it happens or not is irrelevant. The point is that it DOESN'T have to happen.

Personally responsible people make sure it doesn't happen. In fact, millions of people every year are successful in not getting pregnant. I give them credit for doing what they needed to do, whether it be doubled up on birth control or abstinence....it matters not to me. The point is that they were successful.

I know......These basic truths are hard for you guys to understand. They shouldn't be though.

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The new leftie rally cry...."Nobody has ever made it on their own!"

It takes all responsibility from the individual.

YOU take care of YOURS. I won't EVER ask you for help with mine.

Okay?!
No, only an idiot thinks that they can be born and grow up in this country totally independent...

YOU use roads, the court system, probably NOT a library but they're there for you, the freeway systems(food and hard goods are shipped to YOUR area for YOU to buy even if you claim you don't use a freeway ...or claim you built the freeway yourself....you did NOT make laws yourself, you did NOT make the infrastructure yourself...YOU do not fight your own house fire nor drive your own ambulance to the hospital nor did you install street lights yourself or traffic lights nor did you invent seat belts to keep your children safe nor did you pass safety laws using a system paid for by taxpayers..

You DID and DO happily and giddily support billionaires.

Now you can rant and rave and lie awake at night worried because you lost .01 of a penny feeding a hungry child but that won't change and I take great DELIGHT in your ongoing misery .....

3,417 posts, read 3,075,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I think somewhere in this thread people got the reality and their feelings on how things should be mixed up. I believe that is the major disconnect here.

I agree, I think it is a bad idea to have children if you can't feed them yourself.

However, the kids are gonna keep coming if there is assistance or not.
This is the point that we keep trying to make to Aero, but he seems to think pregnancies are going to stop if you cut-off WIC. We keep trying to tell him that its going to still and he keeps say that parents should practice responsibilty but hasn't given a solution to prevent people from having sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies