Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 01:10 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,483 times

Advertisements

1957- Go Lions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 02:02 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
saw a lot of his games, although i was a little kid for much of them. mostly on TV but a half dozen in the old stadium. One great team even before they joined the NFL. 1964, Jim Brown, Ernie Green and Leroy Kelly on the same team.

those sweeps with Jim behind the pulling guards were fun to watch. Gene Hickerson and ???

It is a shame Model screwed up everything he touched. the only thing he ever got right was bill belichek and he found him a few years too soon.

I always liked Belichick when he was here. I wasn't happy about him cutting Bernie, and I know a lot Browns fans were outraged. I remember some burning their season tickets over it. At any rate, I will always root for the name on the front of the jersey, and the city that they represent. They're the Cleveland Browns, not the Bernie Kosar Browns. A perfect example; My favorite player of the current Browns is Josh Cribbs, and if the Browns were to cut him, I'd be p***ed, but I still have to support the home team. Provided Cribbs didn't end up anywhere else in the AFC North, I'd cheer for him. I don't see that happening. He has made it clear that he loves it here, and based on him being a solid special teams player, as well as kind of a jack of all trades player, you need a guy like that around.

To keep somewhat on topic though. I'd love to go back to the 50s just to see the Browns as the juggernauts that they were back then.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:08 PM

308 posts, read 517,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
[/b]Really? Has 62 years of inflation really twisted your perceptions of the value of money? Do you even understand economics? In 1950, the minimum wage was 75 cents. Do you know why America's quality of life looked so great back then? However did we manage to fund such a dreamworld?

Tax Foundation just for starters
I don't fully understand your point of the tax rates. Yes they were higher, but they were also much more progressive and equitable. Here is a chart of tax rates in 1955 dollars and 2010 dollars.

Everyone would be much more comfortable with higher taxes rates above 50% if it only effected 1/10 of the top 1%.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:01 PM

22 posts, read 18,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post

There were very few activities for girls growing up and I hated it. This was just one example of how repressive it was for young girls - it was never ending, we couldn't do this or we couldn't do that.

I certainly don't remember it fondly.
I'm sure growing up as a female in the Middle East or Africa during that period would have been much better and you would have remembered it fondly instead of growing up in misery and torment as you had to in 1950s America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Women were , and are minorities today as well..in 1950 you had to be June Cleaver or get a Valium Rx to sit home all day and take care of kids, have no decent career or money of your own, but content to live in a crackerbox in suburbia.
In which country was it better for women in the 1950s than America? In what countries were women afforded more rights in the period of 1950-1959?

I look forward to your answer.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:16 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Yep, when the browns left, as others were burning their gear, the wife and I were buying it up. We got matching retro 1964 jackets, wife took here up to his store and had Dante "glue fingers" sign it (i know he had retired but she wanted it)

I still say 1948, could watch the Tribe AND the Browns win a few. And just imagine what downtown would be like. Higbees, Sterling Linders, the Hippodrome, the street cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I always liked Belichick when he was here. I wasn't happy about him cutting Bernie, and I know a lot Browns fans were outraged. I remember some burning their season tickets over it. At any rate, I will always root for the name on the front of the jersey, and the city that they represent. They're the Cleveland Browns, not the Bernie Kosar Browns. A perfect example; My favorite player of the current Browns is Josh Cribbs, and if the Browns were to cut him, I'd be p***ed, but I still have to support the home team. Provided Cribbs didn't end up anywhere else in the AFC North, I'd cheer for him. I don't see that happening. He has made it clear that he loves it here, and based on him being a solid special teams player, as well as kind of a jack of all trades player, you need a guy like that around.

To keep somewhat on topic though. I'd love to go back to the 50s just to see the Browns as the juggernauts that they were back then.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:20 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Otto Graham, baby. White leather helmet, no facemask, heaving what looked like a medicine ball sixty yards downfield.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:23 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Women were , and are minorities today as well..in 1950 you had to be June Cleaver or get a Valium Rx to sit home all day and take care of kids, have no decent career or money of your own, but content to live in a crackerbox in suburbia.
Valium wasn't available for public use until 1963.

Contemporary women are soooo poorly informed. Plus, they prefer McMansions to crackerboxes.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 02-29-2012 at 04:32 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 04:33 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
Not me.

Go back in the times when "Jim Crow" laws were enacted to keep blacks in their place? A time when segregation was the rule of the land? When bigotry and injustice reigned supreme?

Go back when women were supposed to stay in the kitchen and those with ambition to climb up the corporate ladder faced frustration? Go back to a time when the only option for dealing with an unwanted pregnancy was a back alley abortion involving coat hangers?

Go back to the day when gay people were arrested, harassed, persecuted and faced discrimination everywhere in society, in jobs, housing, education, etc?

Bring back the corruption and witch-hunts of the McCarthy era?

No way!!

Old 02-29-2012, 04:41 PM

37,973 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Yes, but you realize females dont matter to the OP either, He is a white male who wants to go back to 1950.

The fact that today women and minorities have careers and a say in society, seems to be a problem for the OP.
Why demean women and child rearing? There really is nothing more important to the future of any nation then raising our children to be the best new generation of citizens.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:46 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Why demean women and child rearing? There really is nothing more important to the future of any nation then raising our children to be the best new generation of citizens.
I agree. Some people make being a housewife and raising children as something not desirable. I am glad my mother was at home when I and my two brothers were growing up.

And I will add that my dad's paycheck was enough to support a family. And, back in the '50s, my parent's house was 1,575 sq. ft., not giant but certainly much bigger than a "crackerbox."

Last edited by Fleet; 02-29-2012 at 05:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies