Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
A really good thing about the 50s is that I was a kid and had no real worries. The music was good - I still love Doo Wop. Other than that, I can't think of much that I would want to go back and revisit.

I am not anti-50s - that would be kind of dumb, wouldn't it - there's really no threat that the 50s are going to return, is there?

The overwhelming memory image that I have of the 50s is innocence through ignorance. People back then just didn't have access to information like we do today. What they didn't know couldn't hurt them, could it? Daddy government always knew best. At least in 2012 we know when we're being screwed.
I was a kid then too, just 7 months old on New Year's Day 1950, and 10 1/2 years old on New Year's Even 1959. Yeah, I had my mom and dad talking care of all my needs. I remember the music, too. Most families got a TV some time during that decade. That could be considered good or bad. I also remember school desegregation, polio, an awareness of the pollution of the rivers around Pittsburgh, lots of great stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Girls were girls and men were men.
Are you serious or trying to make a point? "Girls" vs "men"? I'm glad we're now considered "women", you know, adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 06:59 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Are you serious or trying to make a point? "Girls" vs "men"? I'm glad we're now considered "women", you know, adults.
How's this:

"Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again" or

"Didn't need no welfare state, everybody pulled his weight"

"Gee our old LaSalle ran great"

Old 04-19-2012, 09:04 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,342,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I was a kid then too, just 7 months old on New Year's Day 1950, and 10 1/2 years old on New Year's Even 1959. Yeah, I had my mom and dad talking care of all my needs. I remember the music, too. Most families got a TV some time during that decade. That could be considered good or bad. I also remember school desegregation, polio, an awareness of the pollution of the rivers around Pittsburgh, lots of great stuff!

I'm a few years old than you, I was 5 in 1950. We lived in the NY metro area until our move to Miami in 1951. I know we had a TV for a couple of years before we moved - must have gotten it in 49. It had a 10" screen and was built into a huge, heavy console. In NY, we had over a dozen channels; in Miami only 3 - what a shock that was. We watched that teeny, tiny screen until the late 50s.

Desegregation did not come to S. Fl until 1970, when I was in my third year of teaching. The district was under court order and massive busing was involved. It took more than a decade for all involved to regain their equilibrium.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:15 AM

52 posts, read 75,249 times
i was born in 48 on a little produse/chicken farm at the edge of the jersey pine barens. thought my name was shut up and get busy.LOL.
in the 7th grade you could get working papers and pick beans for .25
a bushell. so of course i flunked the 6th.flunkend it again but they made me move up anyway. just kidding. remember visiting my aunt in n. jersey and being shocked at polution in raritan river,have never forgotten it.
our county was integrated since anybody can remember so it was a shock to move to d.c. at 13 and be in segregated schools and neighborhoods.
back in jersey one of the richest men around was the black junkman. was in same grade as his daughter and we were all so naive we didn't know we were supposed to hate each other. that was not the case 10 miles away but we didn't know about that stuff.
we did know about ethnic rivalries just never got the race thing. we called each other miks and wops and kypes etc. but somehow we managed to
feel a sense of affection or something for each other.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:27 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I'm a few years old than you, I was 5 in 1950. We lived in the NY metro area until our move to Miami in 1951. I know we had a TV for a couple of years before we moved - must have gotten it in 49. It had a 10" screen and was built into a huge, heavy console. In NY, we had over a dozen channels; in Miami only 3 - what a shock that was. We watched that teeny, tiny screen until the late 50s.

Desegregation did not come to S. Fl until 1970, when I was in my third year of teaching. The district was under court order and massive busing was involved. It took more than a decade for all involved to regain their equilibrium.
Mississippi was even worse. My grandparents(may they rest in peace) left Mississippi before the 1950's even started and moved to Milwaukee. According to what my father told me(which was what my parents told him), Mississippi was basically an extremely racist society in 1950, where segregated schools were the law of the land. I have a friend who grew up in late 1970s Mississippi(a small town in Mississippi) and according to her, there were court ordered desegregation, but no action was taken. People just openly defied the order, in the late 1970s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies