Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 06:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Why do you keep saying "RWNJ?" What about "LWNJ" who are convinced the earth is doomed due to "global warming" (although it's now known as "climate change," which has been going on for millions, even billions, of years).

Sounds like you will do anything but acknowledge the fact that the '50s had many positives. You don't believe it even from those who lived through it! As I said before, there is no perfect decade so don't try to make like the '50s alone had negatives. Maybe you should read (and comment) on post #353?
Global warming is not the subject of this thread; the fifties is.

#353 is way too long to respond to, but I see some obvious errors. By the end of WW II, "Rosie the Riveter" was expected to go home, "Ron the Riveter" would take over, thank you very much. The armed forces were not integrated in WW II until 1948, three years after the war, and then only by executive order. I read a book about women's role in WW II, and there was a chapter about "Jane Crow", e.g. discrimination towards black women in the factories. Yes, it was just a jolly time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 06:29 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I didn't send you any emails; my entire conversation with you has been here on this board, just to clarify. I apologized for the mean girl comment. I see no acceptance of it anywhere on here, and I know you can't DM me b/c I cut off my DMs. Maybe you should stop accusing people of having chips on their shoulders and think about how you sound, in print with all this "my family valued education b/c my grandfathers were MDs, blah, blah".

Oklahoma was a border state in the Civil War.

Confederate States of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The census bureau considers Oklahoma the south.

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf

Some also consider OK the midwest. It's a state with multiple identities.
Excuse me .......... I didn't realize that acceptance of an apology was required.
I live in the South and Oklahoma is definitely the west no matter what the census bureau says. An argument could be made for Texas but not Oklahoma.

Anyway this is getting tiresome, so "bye, bye".

Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
Green_mariner, I do not at all doubt what you said regarding the Little Rock 9 or Alabama in the 50s. My question about your father and grandfather was to understand their experience as far as if there was bullying experienced in segregated schools in the 50s. Not trying to point a finger OR excuse the South in the 50s. Everyone knows that atrocious things happened in that era. However, I gather from your previous posts that you and quite frankly many others on this forum still are unwilling to accept that in much of the South (Ga in particular since you called it out) things are not the same as they were in the 50s. That is not to say that racism no longer exist but in my opinion it is mainly found in rural areas in ALL parts of the country, not just the South. This can be seen in the recent race related killings in Tulsa.
I wasn't trying to say that Georgia today was the same as Georgia of 1950. I brought up Georgia because I was thinking in terms of "what if I was in Georgia in 1950". I was mentioning Georgia in relation to 1950, vs. 2012.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Excuse me .......... I didn't realize that acceptance of an apology was required.
I live in the South and Oklahoma is definitely the west no matter what the census bureau says. An argument could be made for Texas but not Oklahoma.

Anyway this is getting tiresome, so "bye, bye".
You're not excused. It is generally considered good form to at least acknowledge an apology and not bring up the issue again.

Oklahoma is east of Texas, and most of it is as far south as Texas. You might consult a map.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:07 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I wasn't trying to say that Georgia today was the same as Georgia of 1950. I brought up Georgia because I was thinking in terms of "what if I was in Georgia in 1950". I was mentioning Georgia in relation to 1950, vs. 2012.
I just wondered because in an earlier post you said you "live in Georgia, not by choice". I was just in Atlanta over the Easter weekend and i definitely couldn't see why a black person would not choose to live there now. However, I can understand in 1950s not so much.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:12 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
I just wondered because in an earlier post you said you "live in Georgia, not by choice". I was just in Atlanta over the Easter weekend and i definitely couldn't see why a black person would not choose to live there now. However, I can understand in 1950s not so much.
I've been living in Georgia since 1994. This is how I think. Just because there are alot of Blacks in a city doesn't mean it's the right place for me. For one, the climate in Atlanta(hot, humid summers) is a problem for me. Lack of bicycle-friendly infrastructure, and I've had my own issues. I needed a place to go and start over.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,554,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
You and most Conservatives. The mythical "good ol' days.

So, did you miss the paragraph that states: "There has never been any society in the history of the world that has been perfect. America was flawed in 1950 just as America is flawed today."

Life is not to be lived looking backwards. You will fall into a trap.

What life was like in the 50s:
- Women were dying at the hands of back street abortionists because of the public shame of being pregnant out of wedlock (like no one else had ever been)
- Rape victims were blamed for being where they shouldn't, or provoking the deed.
- Blacks were being lynched, and segregation laws were still in effect
- McCarthyism

Since this is the political forum, I am not even touching the diseases we were still affected by, or dying from.

It is better to BE HERE, NOW and face the future armed with the lessons of the past.

Break the chains that bind you.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 PM

485 posts, read 1,455,847 times
According to my map there is actually a portion of Texas that is east of Oklahoma and no part of Oklahoma that is east of Texas. Also only the panhandle of Texas is on a north south plain with Oklahoma. The rest of Texas is south of Oklahoma.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,953,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
The 50's...life was wonderful for white America and a living hell for blacks under Jim Crow Laws. Separate schools, buses, bathrooms, couldn't vote, lynch mobs running around hanging black folks, etc.

Last edited by dorado0359; 04-17-2012 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 04-17-2012, 08:32 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,325,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
You and most Conservatives. The mythical "good ol' days.

So, did you miss the paragraph that states: "There has never been any society in the history of the world that has been perfect. America was flawed in 1950 just as America is flawed today."

Life is not to be lived looking backwards. You will fall into a trap.

What life was like in the 50s:
- Women were dying at the hands of back street abortionists because of the public shame of being pregnant out of wedlock (like no one else had ever been)
- Rape victims were blamed for being where they shouldn't, or provoking the deed.
- Blacks were being lynched, and segregation laws were still in effect
- McCarthyism

Since this is the political forum, I am not even touching the diseases we were still affected by, or dying from.

It is better to BE HERE, NOW and face the future armed with the lessons of the past.

Break the chains that bind you.
Another one who refuses to see the good side of the 50's. I lived it so I know what it was like and the many good things weren't "mythical". You and your ilk act like racism and discrimination was all that the 50's were about. What's this crap about conservatives? Do you think that Democrats lived differently back then or that they didn't exist? Agenda, much?

As for abortions. As a woman I am opposed to taking human life so whether it is done in a back street or in a hospital it is all the same to me. I find it hard to feel sorry for a woman who would take her own child's life. Only in extreme circumstances should this be happening.

Some women still get perceived as provoking rape in this day and age. It isn't something just to be applied to the 50's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies