Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 08:55 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,060,993 times

Advertisements

But it does seem like now that whites are paranoid of minorities today. Racist hate crimes are happening all over America especially in the South.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I never said these were the glory days. I'm saying as a Black man, I prefer 2012 to 1950. I live in Georgia, not by choice, but as a college student with limited money, I'm here to stay until I graduate and get a job elsewhere. I'm registered to vote in Georgia. I can vote in every election, and it doesn't cost me anything. Back in 1950, I would have been denied the right to vote. Tonight I was visiting a friend who happen to be in town, who happens to be a White female. Course of interaction. She sees me, gives me a hug, we start talking about some things. Mind you, we were in public too. This would have never been able to take place in 1950. It could have gotten me killed. Now lets talk about schools. Blacks in the South were by force told they had to attend segregated schools. It was the law of the land. Often, schools for Black children were built with lesser quality and the textbooks they got were often hand-me-downs discarded from White schools. In the North, school segregation didn't exist in that manner, but another. It was on a neighborhood scale. In many places across the nation, Blacks were restricted from living in certain places because of the color of their skin. It came in the form of sundown towns, and restrictive covenants. Even in the best of times, Blacks were discriminated against more in 1950, when it came to jobs. The Black middle class was much smaller back then. I think about the life I live now. I can live anywhere I want. I can vote. I can go to school where I want. I can be friends with who I want. I can marry any woman of any race/ethnicity I so choose. I never said race relations were perfect. I'm saying that I have more freedom today than I would have in 1950.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 09:12 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,646 times
Quote:
I never said these were the glory days. I'm saying as a Black man, I prefer 2012 to 1950. I live in Georgia, not by choice, but as a college student with limited money, I'm here to stay until I graduate and get a job elsewhere. I'm registered to vote in Georgia. I can vote in every election, and it doesn't cost me anything. Back in 1950, I would have been denied the right to vote. Tonight I was visiting a friend who happen to be in town, who happens to be a White female. Course of interaction. She sees me, gives me a hug, we start talking about some things. Mind you, we were in public too. This would have never been able to take place in 1950. It could have gotten me killed. Now lets talk about schools. Blacks in the South were by force told they had to attend segregated schools. It was the law of the land. Often, schools for Black children were built with lesser quality and the textbooks they got were often hand-me-downs discarded from White schools. In the North, school segregation didn't exist in that manner, but another. It was on a neighborhood scale. In many places across the nation, Blacks were restricted from living in certain places because of the color of their skin. It
came in the form of sundown towns, and restrictive covenants. Even in the best of times, Blacks were discriminated against more in 1950, when it came to jobs. The Black middle class was much smaller back then. I think about the life I live now. I can live anywhere I want. I can vote. I can go to school where I want. I can be friends with who I want. I can marry any woman of any race/ethnicity I so choose. I never said race relations were perfect. I'm saying that I have more freedom today than I would have in 1950.
I don't disagree with anything you said, but I gather from what you wrote that you were not alive in the 1950s and are not speaking from personal experience. I agree that in rural areas in the 50s things were as you described. I also agree that throughout the country things in that respect are much better for blacks than they were in the 50s.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
But it does seem like now that whites are paranoid of minorities today. Racist hate crimes are happening all over America especially in the South.
And where exactly do you live? I love it when people use the South as there favorite whipping boy. I happen to live in the South and haven't heard of any racist hate crimes other than in Tulsa, which last I checked wasn't in the South. If whites are paranoid of minorities it is because we have become so PC that we are afraid that we might be called "racist".

Old 04-16-2012, 09:26 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
I don't disagree with anything you said, but I gather from what you wrote that you were not alive in the 1950s and are not speaking from personal experience. I agree that in rural areas in the 50s things were as you described. I also agree that throughout the country things in that respect are much better for blacks than they were in the 50s.
You're right. I wasn't alive in the 1950's. I am not writing from personal experience. I'm writing from a historical perspective. My perspective is knowing what I was taught in school, some of what my father has told me, and knowing what I can do in this day and age. I know what I have now. I also know what I would have been up against in 1950, especially living in Georgia.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:46 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,060,993 times
Quote:
And where exactly do you live? I love it when people use the South as there favorite whipping boy. I happen to live in the South and haven't heard of any racist hate crimes other than in Tulsa, which last I checked wasn't in the South. If whites are paranoid of minorities it is because we have become so PC that we are afraid that we might be called "racist".
The Left. I could say that white people, even younger ones, nationwide are becoming more intolerant of their kind going with mates of others races.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:55 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Cost less, my foot!

100 Years of Consumer Spending -

1950: Food-34%, clothing 12%. And this was with a lot of women sewing their own clothes.

2002-3: Food-13%, clothing 4%.
Again, my mom said a paycheck went farther back then compared to the 1970s.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
You're right. I wasn't alive in the 1950's. I am not writing from personal experience. I'm writing from a historical perspective. My perspective is knowing what I was taught in school, some of what my father has told me, and knowing what I can do in this day and age. I know what I have now. I also know what I would have been up against in 1950, especially living in Georgia.
I actually did go to an Atlanta public school in the 50s. I know that there were Atlanta public schools at that time that were black, but as you said was the case in the north, it was more neighborhoods. Knowing how public schools work I would find it hard to believe that there was a difference in textbooks. School district buy textbooks for the whole district, not individual schools. The school I went to was built in the 1920s and was not air conditioned. Our textbooks were also well used but serviceable. 94% of my graduating class went on to college and alumni include many doctors, lawyers, teachers, businessmen, as well as a federal judge, so I guess the worn books and old building didn't hurt too much. I did not go to a black school in Atlanta, I cannot speak to the conditions, but my feeling is that the disparities you speak of were probably more seen in rural areas than in a larger city like Atlanta.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
The Left. I could say that white people, even younger ones, nationwide are becoming more intolerant of their kind going with mates of others races.
You actually seem to have a lot of hatred in your heart! A recent study revealed that interracial marriages had seen more increases in the South than in any other region of the country.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Actually I don't agree that bullying is an age old problem. It was unheard of when I was in school, and since I was painfully shy and wore glasses I would have been a prime target if it were practiced. I recently asked my older sister if she thought that bullying occurred when we were in school and she agreed that it didn't. Maybe sexual abuse is age old but all I know is that I was so naive that in the 8th grade when I saw a "dirty" word on the bathroom wall I went home and asked my mother what it meant. As far as gays in the closet, I don't really want to know what you do in the bedroom, gay or straight. And if you think it is better then I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
Are you serious? Unheard of? Things must have changed a lot in the six years between the time you went to school and I did. Human nature has NOT changed in all those years. You can ask every relative of yours anything but their responses are not the gold standard.

History of Bullying - Dealing with Bullies

The Evolution of Bullying | LiveScience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Again, my mom said a paycheck went farther back then compared to the 1970s.
That's nostalgia talking. The statistics say otherwise.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:07 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
As I said, ignorance IS bliss.
It sure is. Maybe that explains a lot of the posts of the anti-1950s people.

Quote:
Whether she wanted to or not. Again, whether she wanted to or not.
No, if she didn't want to, she wouldn't get married! Besides, my dad also knew how to cook and he did often. Especially around the holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies