Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 03:43 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,325,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Ignorance is bliss and there's nothing like the 'nostalgia for the 50s' trend to give credence to that old adage.

Your aunt and her cronies look back at "how good it was" because information on many of the bad things that happened just wasn't available. The US in the 50s was the great "Daddy State." Everything, including the news, was under the control of white, mostly protestant, males. Women, blacks, Catholics, Jews, and all other minorities knew their place and if they tried to exceed it, there was a very real push back. Take a look at the TV shows of that era, Father always knew best and Lucy got a spanking from Ricky - a friggin' SPANKING. That's what little girls (myself included) grew up with, back in the 50s.

I lived through the 50s as a young teen and I'll take 2012 any day, thank you very much.
Oh please, you act like racial and gender discrimination were the only things that defined the 50's. There were many good things about the 50's also. I know, I grew up during that time and other than the above I would take the 50's over over the crap that goes on today anyday of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 04:01 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Oh please, you act like racial and gender discrimination were the only things that defined the 50's. There were many good things about the 50's also. I know, I grew up during that time and other than the above I would take the 50's over over the crap that goes on today anyday of the week.
Of course you would. You didn't have to deal with race or sex discrimination.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:21 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Of course you would. You didn't have to deal with race or sex discrimination.
But that stuff was not exclusive to the '50s. It wasn't confined to just one decade.

In other words, you can't dismiss the entire 1950s decade because of any one reason which also occurred in other decades.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:31 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
But that stuff was not exclusive to the '50s. It wasn't confined to just one decade.

In other words, you can't dismiss the entire 1950s decade because of any one reason which also occurred in other decades.
No....but I can certainly prefer now to then.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Ignorance is bliss and there's nothing like the 'nostalgia for the 50s' trend to give credence to that old adage.

Your aunt and her cronies look back at "how good it was" because information on many of the bad things that happened just wasn't available. The US in the 50s was the great "Daddy State." Everything, including the news, was under the control of white, mostly protestant, males. Women, blacks, Catholics, Jews, and all other minorities knew their place and if they tried to exceed it, there was a very real push back. Take a look at the TV shows of that era, Father always knew best and Lucy got a spanking from Ricky - a friggin' SPANKING. That's what little girls (myself included) grew up with, back in the 50s.

I lived through the 50s as a young teen and I'll take 2012 any day, thank you very much.
You talk like there was nothing positive about the 1950s and that couldn't be further from the truth.

You don't know my Aunt and her "cronies." If you did, I'm sure you would know that they were well aware of the negative things that happened back then. The problem with you anti-'50s people is that you don't realize that no decade is perfect.

As for women "knowing their place and tried to exceed it," what does that mean? My Aunt and my mom worked throughout most of the 1950s. My mom had her own car (my dad drove a white Chevy truck back then). Once a week, she and some of the neighborhood housewives would go out in the evening, dinner, movies, etc. How dare they did that! Didn't they know there places was "in the home?"

As for spanking, yes, it was generally effective. It certainly should be used more today!

Old 04-16-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
No....but I can certainly prefer now to then.
Yes, you can. And others can prefer then to now!

Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, but we hid under our desks at school during those air raid drills!
So? We also hid under our desks at school during earthquake drills. But after those drills, we went out and played!

Quote:
" (A) Cold War that never became an actual war"? You think not? Viet Nam was a "proxy" war against the Soviet Union. So was Korea for that matter.
You know what I mean... I was referring to a nuclear war. And the Korean war was done by 1953, which left people to enjoy the rest of the decade (and to see the birth of Rock 'n' Roll music, among other things).

Old 04-16-2012, 04:58 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,342,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You talk like there was nothing positive about the 1950s and that couldn't be further from the truth.

You don't know my Aunt and her "cronies." If you did, I'm sure you would know that they were well aware of the negative things that happened back then. The problem with you anti-'50s people is that you don't realize that no decade is perfect.

As for women "knowing their place and tried to exceed it," what does that mean? My Aunt and my mom worked throughout most of the 1950s. My mom had her own car (my dad drove a white Chevy truck back then). Once a week, she and some of the neighborhood housewives would go out in the evening, dinner, movies, etc. How dare they did that! Didn't they know there places was "in the home?"

As for spanking, yes, it was generally effective. It certainly should be used more today!
Really? You think that husbands spanking their wives was "generally effective"? And that it should be used more today?

Your aunt and her friends knew exactly what the folks in charge - male dominated - wanted them to know. There was no easy access to information and the prevailing attitude was, well, the President (or other male person in charge) knows best. Everything was very civilized - very controlled.

I never said that a woman's place was "in the home." A woman's place, in the 50s, was always a subservient one - even if she was working and going out to dinner and the movies with her friends.

I was almost 30, had been working 7 years, paying a mortgage and managing the family finances when I applied for a MasterCard in 1974 - and was told that since I had no credit history, my husband would have to sign for me. We were paying for a house and two cars jointly, but I existed only as an appendage of my husband - there were no records at all in my name. And this was 15 years AFTER the 50s had ended.

So, again, I'll take 2012 with it's advances in medicine and technology, and its vastly improved opportunities for women and minorities, over the 50s any day.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:04 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,306,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
But you can't take the 50s they are gone and they are NEVER coming back.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:15 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,325,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
But you can't take the 50s they are gone and they are NEVER coming back.
Then take it up with the OP. He asked the question. There are many things that could be changed for the better as they were back then but with so many PC, liberals running around it would be an uphill battle. I am prepared to fight that battle along with many other conservative Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies