Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 11:34 AM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
We all know the answer to that. It's just that some posters care, and some don't. If they'd have had it good, then 1950 was awesome. For you and I, not so much.
I think we both know that 1950 was horrible for Black people and Hispanic people. I think some people just don't care. It's quite subjective to many people. I consider it objective because all I have to do is look at history. It's no coincidence that Black people(especially people my age and your age) are not wishing for the 1950's to come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 11:35 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,315,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
This nostalgia for the 1950s is symptomatic of people simply not being able to adjust to a changing social and demographic environment.
I don't mind "natural" change but illegal immigration isn't a natural change for one thing. "Immigrants" (and I use that term loosely) chose to assimilate back then. Not so much today. I feel like a stranger in my own country sometimes. It is like the Tower of Babel anymore. There is no sense of belonging. There were some bad things about the 50's but overall it was a lot better than the country we live in today in so many ways.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I don't mind "natural" change but illegal immigration isn't a natural change for one thing. "Immigrants" (and I use that term loosely) chose to assimilate back then. Not so much today. I feel like a stranger in my own country sometimes. It is like the Tower of Babel anymore. There is no sense of belonging. There were some bad things about the 50's but overall it was a lot better than the country we live in today in so many ways.
Maybe it's because I'm extremely cynical, but I think Blacks have felt like strangers in this nation from day one. Something to think about. I'm not saying that what you feel isn't legitimate. I'm just saying it's a small taste of what Black Americans have felt daily since being here.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:55 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Maybe it's because I'm extremely cynical, but I think Blacks have felt like strangers in this nation from day one. Something to think about. I'm not saying that what you feel isn't legitimate. I'm just saying it's a small taste of what Black Americans have felt daily since being here.
We've never had a sense of belonging, and that was encouraged and even codified into law.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, racial discrimination was one of the bad things about the 50's as I pointed out there were some bad things. As for how blacks feel today, I guess I don't understand it since we have had AA and many blacks are political leaders these days. I don't know what else can be done to make them feel accepted. Perhaps some have been indoctrinated into the victim mentality and are using it as a crutch? I have no problem with black Americans at all and in fact am old enough to remember and had sympathized with their plight back then. I guess there will always be some prejudiced Americans but I think they are among the minority today, not the majority.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
We've never had a sense of belonging, and that was encouraged and even codified into law.
No we have not. Not only was it codified by law, it was codified on how we got here. We got here by FORCE, something called the slave trade. We were also made well aware of not belonging in 1950 by the threat of lynching. Actually, if one reads about what happened with Emmett Till, one will have an idea. I've flirted with White women before, in the 2000s. No lynching, no problems. If I did that in 1950, we both know I would have been dead within a day or two. Emmett Till just made a pass at a White woman. Today, it would be looked at as annoying, but not to the extreme it went to in 1955.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:20 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times
Quote:
Well, racial discrimination was one of the bad things about the 50's as I pointed out there were some bad things. As for how blacks feel today, I guess I don't understand it since we have had AA and many blacks are political leaders these days. I don't know what else can be done to make them feel accepted. Perhaps some have been indoctrinated into the victim mentality and are using it as a crutch? I have no problem with black Americans at all and in fact am old enough to remember and had sympathized with their plight back then. I guess there will always be some prejudiced Americans but I think they are among the minority today, not the majority.
Get rid of the Republican Party? Prevent stuff like the George Zimmerman murder from happening? Stuff like that.....

Old 04-16-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I was responding on how life would be like in the 1950s. Today it is better in some ways. As bad as somethings are in 2012, I will take 2012 over 1950. That was the main point. As for Blacks feeling like strangers in this nation, I mentioned it in historical perspective. There is still racial prejudice today, but it isn't anything compared to 1950, I can agree there.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Get rid of the Republican Party? Prevent stuff like the George Zimmerman murder from happening? Stuff like that.....
So by getting rid of the Republican party you are implying that they are racist against blacks/minorities? Please, don't spout that nonsense. There is not one lick of truth in that for most Republicans.

George Zimmeran is a Hispanic-Jew. In otherwords a minority himself so your point is?

Old 04-16-2012, 03:29 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What is worse... a Cold War that never became an actual war or the 9/11 terrorist attacks? Khrushchev said a lot of things. Talk is cheap.

I'll repeat, no one in my family was hiding under tables fearing for their lives. They were living and enjoying their lives! And, overall, enjoyed the 1950s. As my Aunt said, "If only we knew back then how good it was. We took it for granted and thought it would always be like the 1950s."
Ignorance is bliss and there's nothing like the 'nostalgia for the 50s' trend to give credence to that old adage.

Your aunt and her cronies look back at "how good it was" because information on many of the bad things that happened just wasn't available. The US in the 50s was the great "Daddy State." Everything, including the news, was under the control of white, mostly protestant, males. Women, blacks, Catholics, Jews, and all other minorities knew their place and if they tried to exceed it, there was a very real push back. Take a look at the TV shows of that era, Father always knew best and Lucy got a spanking from Ricky - a friggin' SPANKING. That's what little girls (myself included) grew up with, back in the 50s.

I lived through the 50s as a young teen and I'll take 2012 any day, thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies