Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,646 times

Advertisements

Actually I don't agree that bullying is an age old problem. It was unheard of when I was in school, and since I was painfully shy and wore glasses I would have been a prime target if it were practiced. I recently asked my older sister if she thought that bullying occurred when we were in school and she agreed that it didn't. Maybe sexual abuse is age old but all I know is that I was so naive that in the 8th grade when I saw a "dirty" word on the bathroom wall I went home and asked my mother what it meant. As far as gays in the closet, I don't really want to know what you do in the bedroom, gay or straight. And if you think it is better then I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 08:06 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,342,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
I grew up in the 50's, high school class of 1961, and think that in a lot of ways I prefer that time to today. It was definitely a sweeter, gentler time.
As I said, ignorance IS bliss.
Quote:
There was no such thing as bullying, sexual abuse was unheard of.
I graduated high school in 1962 and there definitely was bullying - but back then, nobody cared about how kids "felt," so nothing was done about it. No sexual abuse? How would you know?? As a nation we were so damn sexually repressed that you couldn't use the word 'pregnant' in front of children.
Quote:
There were I'm sure gay people, but nobody knew that they were and didn't give it a thought.
And you think that's a good thing. Says a lot about where you're coming from.
Quote:
My father worked and mother kept the house.
Whether she wanted to or not.
Quote:
Every summer we spent a week at the beach in Florida. When my father died suddenly and unexpectedly, my mother had to go to work but my grandparents who lived nearby stepped in to help.
How nice that you had grandparents that were available to help.
Quote:
We rarely went out to eat but mother cooked nutritious meals with fresh fruits and vegetables.
Again, whether she wanted to or not.
Quote:
A couple of girls in my class "had to get" married but they were definitely the exception and most are still married to same husband today.
I knew a number of girls who got pregnant as high school students. They were all forced to drop out of school. None of them stayed married.
Quote:
I remember mother had a charge card at the local dept. store, it was metal with raised letters/numbers and kept in a leather case.
And it was in your father's name.
Quote:
When my mother and father got married, mother didn't know how to drive but dad insisted on teaching her even though gasoline was hard to come by, because he said she had to be able to take care of my sister and me when he was at work. These were just my experiences but I don't think they were that different from the experiences of my classmates in the 50's.
You obviously have never attempted to exceed the length of your tether...

Old 04-16-2012, 08:08 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The post said spanking... not beating. Maybe you don't know the difference.

And since you don't know, spanking is highly erotic. Beating is not.

To the spanker or the spankee?

Old 04-16-2012, 08:24 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
So do you think that 2012 is good for everyone? Rampant use of drugs, meth addicts, unwed mother, single parent homes, bullying in schools, morbid obesity -- yeah sounds a lot better to me!
Would it have been good for Black people, who were subjected to all kinds of discrimination and abuse, often codified in law?

Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
And it was in your father's name. You obviously have never attempted to exceed the length of your tether...
No, actually they were credit cards in her own name. You obviously know nothing about what I have accomplished in my life, actually far more than my husband ever did -both educationally and in the work place. And by the way, my grandmother who was born around 1900 worked every day of her adult life in a financial firm and was actually more successful than her husband who was an accountant for the railroad. She was the one my other grandparents had to go to pay the back taxes when they were about to lose their land.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Would it have been good for Black people, who were subjected to all kinds of discrimination and abuse, often codified in law?
Obviously not, but you are making it sound like these are the glory days today, when there are obviously many problems that affect people of all races, genders, and creeds. Yes the 50's were not good for everyone but actually I believe that we have much more serious problems today as I listed, and they affect blacks as much if not more the whites.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:40 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,060,993 times
Although gender relations were at its best back then, there was an epidemic of false accusations (which continues to this day) which is genetic among most WW. Then riots occurred in black communities as a result of a white woman's lie.

There was some misandry too, mainly white men against black men and vice versa. Now men of all races are being misandric to their own gender.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,342,374 times
Quote:
No, actually they were credit cards in her own name. You obviously know nothing about what I have accomplished in my life, actually far more than my husband ever did -both educationally and in the work place. And by the way, my grandmother who was born around 1900 worked every day of her adult life in a financial firm and was actually more successful than her husband who was an accountant for the railroad. She was the one my other grandparents had to go to pay the back taxes when they were about to lose their land.
My mother's credit cards had her name on them, but the credit was established in my father's name. Married women just did not get credit in their own names back in the 50s.
Quote:
Women in the 1960s and 1970s fought to be recognized as individuals instead of simply appendages of their spouses. At the time, creditors refused to give wives credit in their own names, a vestige of the law of coverture, which said a wife's legal personhood was subsumed under her husband when she married. Lenders erased women's credit history when they married and only extended credit to them through their husbands. In addition, when couples applied for loans based on their combined income, lenders routinely insisted that women provide signed statements promising they would not or could not get pregnant before counting their income. Lenders' explanations for these practices rested on the assumption that married women would get pregnant and leave the workforce. They could not be trusted to maintain an income and therefore afford their own credit.

When the Equal Credit Opportunity Act passed in 1974, it banned these practices and other methods of discriminating based on sex and marital status. Women now had to be given credit in their own names if they wanted it. But credit card companies still counted household income when extending credit to women. This meant that women could have credit in their own name while married, even if they chose to commit themselves to raising their children. As a result, the ECOA let women build a credit history that they could draw on to get credit if they lost their husband.
Will Homemakers Once Again be Left Without a Financial Lifeline? | Next New Deal

Old 04-16-2012, 08:52 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Obviously not, but you are making it sound like these are the glory days today, when there are obviously many problems that affect people of all races, genders, and creeds. Yes the 50's were not good for everyone but actually I believe that we have much more serious problems today as I listed, and they affect blacks as much if not more the whites.
I never said these were the glory days. I'm saying as a Black man, I prefer 2012 to 1950. I live in Georgia, not by choice, but as a college student with limited money, I'm here to stay until I graduate and get a job elsewhere. I'm registered to vote in Georgia. I can vote in every election, and it doesn't cost me anything. Back in 1950, I would have been denied the right to vote. Tonight I was visiting a friend who happen to be in town, who happens to be a White female. Course of interaction. She sees me, gives me a hug, we start talking about some things. Mind you, we were in public too. This would have never been able to take place in 1950. It could have gotten me killed. Now lets talk about schools. Blacks in the South were by force told they had to attend segregated schools. It was the law of the land. Often, schools for Black children were built with lesser quality and the textbooks they got were often hand-me-downs discarded from White schools. In the North, school segregation didn't exist in that manner, but another. It was on a neighborhood scale. In many places across the nation, Blacks were restricted from living in certain places because of the color of their skin. It came in the form of sundown towns, and restrictive covenants. Even in the best of times, Blacks were discriminated against more in 1950, when it came to jobs. The Black middle class was much smaller back then. I think about the life I live now. I can live anywhere I want. I can vote. I can go to school where I want. I can be friends with who I want. I can marry any woman of any race/ethnicity I so choose. I never said race relations were perfect. I'm saying that I have more freedom today than I would have in 1950.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
My mother's credit cards had her name on them, but the credit was established in my father's name. Married women just did not get credit in their own names back in the 50s.
My father was already dead at that time, so no, they were her credit cards in her name. This was before Visa and MasterCard. She had been a long standing customer of Rich's in Atlanta and they weren't about to cut her off! The only company she had trouble establishing credit with was the utility company. She joked that they would rather have the account in a dead mans name than a live woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies