Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 06:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times

Advertisements

Road king - Very true. If one percent of us are considered very wealthy and do not need to live off daddy that is around three million people. So, indeed, millions of us do not need handouts. Unless you count financial bailouts and military contracting as handouts. They are just the most obvious way our government redistributes wealth upward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 06:23 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Are you serious? Unheard of? Things must have changed a lot in the six years between the time you went to school and I did. Human nature has NOT changed in all those years. You can ask every relative of yours anything but their responses are not the gold standard.

History of Bullying - Dealing with Bullies

The Evolution of Bullying | LiveScience

That's nostalgia talking. The statistics say otherwise.
I think I get it. I read your link about bullying and apparently if everyone in school wasn't your best friend and you weren't invited to every party then they were bullying you. Under this definition then I can understand you. However, you dilute the seriousness of the actions of today's school kids when you try to say that the normal social interaction of teenagers rises to the level of bullying.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:02 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Road king - Very true. If one percent of us are considered very wealthy and do not need to live off daddy that is around three million people. So, indeed, millions of us do not need handouts. Unless you count financial bailouts and military contracting as handouts. They are just the most obvious way our government redistributes wealth upward.
You don't have to be "very wealthy" to no live off daddy's money and have a comfortable life.

A lot more than 1% of Americans have a comfortable life. Probably more like 50%.

I oppose all bailouts and subsidies.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:04 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
Actually I don't agree that bullying is an age old problem. It was unheard of when I was in school, and since I was painfully shy and wore glasses I would have been a prime target if it were practiced.
Bullying has been with us since the beginning of time. I went to grade school in the 60's and it was alive and well then. It just gets more media attention now.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I was bullied through most of my school years as I was a skinny bookish kid with thick glasses. Sometime around 10th grade I gained 5" in height and 40 pounds of muscle. I then reminded the bullies that I had a long memory. I was not bullied after that. I was nearly thrown out of school but I was not bullied.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
I think I get it. I read your link about bullying and apparently if everyone in school wasn't your best friend and you weren't invited to every party then they were bullying you. Under this definition then I can understand you. However, you dilute the seriousness of the actions of today's school kids when you try to say that the normal social interaction of teenagers rises to the level of bullying.
See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Bullying has been with us since the beginning of time. I went to grade school in the 60's and it was alive and well then. It just gets more media attention now.
Quote:
I was bullied through most of my school years as I was a skinny bookish kid with thick glasses. Sometime around 10th grade I gained 5" in height and 40 pounds of muscle. I then reminded the bullies that I had a long memory. I was not bullied after that. I was nearly thrown out of school but I was not bullied.
I thank you two for providing some examples. I won't rat out my brother, but he was a bully, along with certain of his friends.

At first I thought your comment about going to a "better" school was a joke, VMH, but now I think you actually believe it. Perhaps you were part of the bully crowd. Maybe you were part of the "mean girls" group?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-17-2012 at 08:11 AM..

Old 04-17-2012, 07:52 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
I can understand you well. I was also skinny and bookish(I went to high school from 2000-2004 though, class of 2004) and was often bullied. I also got called names like "oreo", "white boy"(ironic because I'm Black), and even got shot with a paintball gun(in middle school). The bullied have a very long memory.

I could imagine bullying taking place in 1950. If you were different in some way, you could get bullied for it. Janis Joplin went to high school during the 1950s, was overweight, had acne, painted, read books, wasn't a racist(she went to high school in 1950s Texas), and basically stood out. She was basically an outcaste.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:04 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,694,341 times
I believe that there are many here at CD that believe we are doing better in 2012. Most of these same people are those who are still living off mom and pop into their 40's. Some have $100k in educational loans and can only find a job at MickyD's or Starbucks if at all. In the 50's there were no electronic games to spent countless hours wasting time. I would have to say that if an individual could spent half their lifetime living off their parents then sure they believe they have it better.

In the 50's when men graduated high school they went to college, enlisted in the military, or had a decent paying job and began raising a family. Most men were out of the house by the time they were in their early 20's at the latest. Many had to assist in supporting their parents into their senior years unlike today where senior parents are forced to support their mature children.

1950's was a time when men were men and women were women. The music was great. People actually talked to people face to face. Businesses were run as a sustainable entity providing a profit as well as good jobs instead of the "scorched earth policy of todays businesses." Loyalty to an employer was commonplace and reciprocated by having lifelong employes who were able to retire with a decent pension and benefits. Food was real food in the 50's not like the chemically processed swill of today.

If you lived in the 50's you enjoyed one of the best era's. It is too bad we can't go back.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:19 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I believe that there are many here at CD that believe we are doing better in 2012. Most of these same people are those who are still living off mom and pop into their 40's. Some have $100k in educational loans and can only find a job at MickyD's or Starbucks if at all. In the 50's there were no electronic games to spent countless hours wasting time. I would have to say that if an individual could spent half their lifetime living off their parents then sure they believe they have it better.

In the 50's when men graduated high school they went to college, enlisted in the military, or had a decent paying job and began raising a family. Most men were out of the house by the time they were in their early 20's at the latest. Many had to assist in supporting their parents into their senior years unlike today where senior parents are forced to support their mature children.

1950's was a time when men were men and women were women. The music was great. People actually talked to people face to face. Businesses were run as a sustainable entity providing a profit as well as good jobs instead of the "scorched earth policy of todays businesses." Loyalty to an employer was commonplace and reciprocated by having lifelong employes who were able to retire with a decent pension and benefits. Food was real food in the 50's not like the chemically processed swill of today.

If you lived in the 50's you enjoyed one of the best era's. It is too bad we can't go back.
I'm in my 20's, I don't live off of my parents, I have a job working for the university, I'm graduating from college this summer, I am also working on starting my own business. I don't plan on raising children right away because I'm not ready. I still have alot in my left before I'm ready. I gauge 2012 being better for ME than 1950. And I am bringing up race. I can't think about the 1950s or any time period before that without thinking of the discrimination, Jim Crow laws, and other forms of abuse Black Americans had to go through. Until that part of history doesn't exist in that time period, I have NO incentive to want 1950 back. At the end of the day, I have me to think about.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post

There is not one single person in my family or in my acquaintance who looks back fondly on the 1950s. Not one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies