Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 05:28 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
1950? No way in hell. Racism, homophobia, boring, no iPhone

I'd go back to the 70s and 80s though. I like the thought of living within the hippie counter-culture of the time. Also the gay nightlife scene seems to have peaked right around the early 80s. I would like to check that out.
I could second the 70's and 80's. I like the 90's better because I lived through it. However, I could do for the 80s. The music was certainly better in those days. Stacy Lattisaw, Jonathan Butler, Michael Jackson(RIP), Michael McDonald, Patti LaBelle, Teena Marie(RIP),Whitney Houston(RIP),Phyllis Hyman(RIP), Sade, Deniece Williams, Johnny Gill, Hall and Oates, The Bee Gees.

I remember talking to a woman some time ago. She lived through the 80s as a kid. I asked her what life would have been like if I was a kid in the 80s. She says it was a great time. Standards were higher. Teachers expected alot from you. Kids played outside. Kids had more respect for their parents and teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 05:32 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,915,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

What?

Old 04-12-2012, 05:43 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,248,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Why do people always correlate turning the economic clock back with negating the progression of human rationale?
I can only speak for myself. So why does Terrence correlate turning the clock back to 1950 with negating the progression of human rationale? Well because usually these nostalgic people just simply say I things like "I wish it was 1950 again." without prefacing that with "well only economically". They just wish it was 1950 and forget all the progress. So when I, Terrence, hear someone wishing it was 1950 I automatically think ALL of 1950 not just bits and pieces.

Also I am a black male from Georgia. Do I REALLY have to explain why I'm glad its not 1950?

Like someone else mentioned, I'm a middle class person. I live a relatively comfortable happy life. I do not think that I would be living a comfortable happy life in 1950 because of my race.

Quote:
Again....going backwards economically does not = becoming stupid again.....
Yeah Louis CK got it right. I'm not stepping into a time machine set for 1950. No thanks! You try to get me in that time machine we're gonna fight! (joke)

I'm sorry but when I hear someone getting nostalgic for the 1950s my first thoughts are that this person is either a huge racist or just plain clueless about the struggles of minorities before the civil rights movement.

I think the better, less race focused conversation would start with: "Here are some positive aspects from the past that I wish we as a society could implement in the present."

This would allow for free flowing ideas and it would within the realm of reality. We will never go back to 1950. I think the uproar from certain recent incidents involving race proves that.

On a lighter note. I love my iphone, kindle, laptop, blu-ray DVD player with wi-fi connection, keyless entry on my car, flat screen HD TV, and of course my precious DVR.

So I ask all of those in favor of 1950:

What POSITIVE aspects of 1950 would you like to see implemented into 2012?

Last edited by terrence81; 04-12-2012 at 06:29 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 05:56 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,915,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I can only speak for myself. So why does Terrence correlate turning the clock back to 1950 with negating the progression of human rationale? Well because usually these nostalgic people just simply say I things like "I wish it was 1950 again." without prefacing that with "well only economically". They just wish it was 1950 and forget all the progress. So when I, Terrence, hear someone wishing it was 1950 I automatically think ALL of 1950 not just bits and pieces.

Also I am a black male from Georgia. Do I REALLY have to explain why I'm glad its not 1950?

Like someone else mentioned I'm a middle class person. I live a relatively comfortable happy life. I do not think that I would be living a comfortable happy life in 1950 because of my race.

Yeah Louis CK got it right. I'm not stepping into a time machine set for 1950. No thanks! You try to get in that time machine we're gonna fight! (joke)

I'm sorry but when I hear someone getting nostalgic for the 1950s my first thoughts are that this person is either a huge racist or just plain clueless about the struggles of minorities before the civil rights movement.

I think the better less race focused conversation would start with: "Here are some positive aspects from the past that I wish we as a society could implement in the present."

This would allow for free flowing ideas and it would within the realm of reality. We will never go back to 1950. I think the uproar from certain recent incidents involving race proves that.

On a lighter note. I love my iphone, kindle, laptop, blu-ray DVD player with wi-fi connection, keyless entry on my car, flat screen HD TV, and of course my precious DVR.

Well, yes...if you were stepping into a TIME MACHINE going back to 1950 it would be an all inclusive experience. So naturally, I wouldn't do that either.

Louis CK is also a comedian. It's true what he says...but when people talk about wishing it was "1950" again....well...at least *I* mean economically and not socially (I was born in 77 btw)...even though socially, on a whole, people were less gluttonous consumers...which is what has us in the conundrum we are in today.

It's also important to mention...a most of the people living in 1950 are now deceased. It's also worth mentioning that while black people would not want to go back into the 50's they do want to go to the future...and why?

Equality in power...It's very important to mention that. many public speakers and figureheads operate under the premise of "equality" but they really mean "equality in power". And many white people have plenty of reason to be concerned in that want for a power grab because the majority of white people, like blacks, are not in a position of power in the country..It's concentrated.

Which is why I choose to dismiss social issues because it is actually just a b*itchfest of entitlement. I'd rather focus on economic circumstances because they are much more dire.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:08 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,612 times
Quote:
Well, yes...if you were stepping into a TIME MACHINE going back to 1950 it would be an all inclusive experience. So naturally, I wouldn't do that either.

Louis CK is also a comedian. It's true what he says...but when people talk about wishing it was "1950" again....well...at least *I* mean economically and not socially (I was born in 77 btw)...even though socially, on a whole, people were less gluttonous consumers...which is what has us in the conundrum we are in today.

It's also important to mention...a most of the people living in 1950 are now deceased. It's also worth mentioning that while black people would not want to go back into the 50's they do want to go to the future...and why?

Equality in power...It's very important to mention that. many public speakers and figureheads operate under the premise of "equality" but they really mean "equality in power". And many white people have plenty of reason to be concerned in that want for a power grab because the majority of white people, like blacks, are not in a position of power in the country..It's concentrated.

Which is why I choose to dismiss social issues because it is actually just a b*itchfest of entitlement. I'd rather focus on economic circumstances because they are much more dire.
I disagree with your statement above (in red). Folks are living long as hell now (thanks to folks prolonging life just for quantity's sake). Plenty of folks are still alive today from the 50's. My parents included and they're in their 50's!

Old 04-12-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
What?
Keep reading. Last time I check, a Black male, even a teenager, could be killed for merely looking at a White women. Emmett Till was lynched for making a pass at a White woman.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:23 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,446,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post

No thanks. I remember the 50s and they were good. But now is better in SO many ways.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:25 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,248,659 times
Default Q

Quote:
We're in agreement. Neat.

Quote:
Pardon me for not paying closer attention in History class, but what economic aspects are you referring to? A lower unemployment rate?

You mention a less gluttonous consumer. I don't think there was neccesarily less desire for material goods. Some of the things that we enjoy in abundance today was new technology and very expensive. Most people didn't own televisions in 1950. Those were luxury items for the very wealthy. Almost everything we enjoy today was available in some premitive form in 1950.

One thing relating to economics that was less available (but still existed) in 1950 was credit. Credit cards have definitely been part of the economic downfall of this country. In 1950 people saved for the things they wanted. Saving is a concept that some of us just never learned thanks to Visa and Mastercard.

Quote:
Yes most people alive in 1920 are deceased. Most of us alive in 2012 will not live to see 2100. So I'm not sure why this is mentioned.

Black people don't want to go to the future? What are you inferring? Do you think I'm afraid of the iPhone 5 or those neat Google glasses? I assure I am not.

Quote:
Equality for all is a concept that our country has struggled with since its inception. Power is an ageless struggle that probably will never end.

Quote:
I hope you aren't implying that I'm making proclamations of entitlement. There are social issues that are worth noting. Just because it doesn't effect you personally doesn't mean they aren't important to millions of people.

When you get into issues that effect one personally it can get sticky. You say the economy is important. Well I have a job and a roof over my head. Why should I care the economy or people losing their jobs? See how ugly and selfish that sounds?

I agree that economic issues are more widespread.

So after all that. I'm still confused. What specific aspects of the 1950s should be implemented in 2012? Power and consumer consumption are kinda of vague.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:59 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I could second the 70's and 80's. I like the 90's better because I lived through it. However, I could do for the 80s. The music was certainly better in those days. Stacy Lattisaw, Jonathan Butler, Michael Jackson(RIP), Michael McDonald, Patti LaBelle, Teena Marie(RIP),Whitney Houston(RIP),Phyllis Hyman(RIP), Sade, Deniece Williams, Johnny Gill, Hall and Oates, The Bee Gees.

I remember talking to a woman some time ago. She lived through the 80s as a kid. I asked her what life would have been like if I was a kid in the 80s. She says it was a great time. Standards were higher. Teachers expected alot from you. Kids played outside. Kids had more respect for their parents and teachers.
I agree the 1980's were pretty good. We had the modern conveniences and the music and a healthy economy. But the thread is about the fifties. Lots of folks didn't even have indoor plumbing, much less air conditioning. Most adults smoked. Pollution was worse. The cars people are nostalgic about were much more dangerous. TV was black and white, if you were lucky you had five channels.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post

Like someone else mentioned, I'm a middle class person. I live a relatively comfortable happy life. I do not think that I would be living a comfortable happy life in 1950 because of my race.

Yeah Louis CK got it right. I'm not stepping into a time machine set for 1950. No thanks! You try to get me in that time machine we're gonna fight! (joke)

I think the better, less race focused conversation would start with: "Here are some positive aspects from the past that I wish we as a society could implement in the present."

So glad you understand where I'm coming from on this. I am a Black male and I also live in Georgia. If it was 1950, I don't know what I would have done. There are many things I see(and that I have done) that wouldn't take place in 1950. For instance, tonight I'm typing this message from a Starbucks. I was not turned away. In 1950, I probably would have been told "No Blacks Allowed". I can vote, I can date who I want, I can go to any college I want(and I'm graduating from college very soon), I can live anywhere I want. You have those same rights too, the rights that were denied to Blacks back in the 1950s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies