Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 05:08 PM

538 posts, read 1,012,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Great, now show me the ragtag weedhead' High school drop out who can't maintain steady employment, who's middle aged, listens to Nirvana and resides in his parent's basement while he's getting buzzed half the day.

I love these stories "I'm a crackhead...but I have a job so I'm not a total burden and social derelict."

I guess everyone is the exception here.

BTW what steered you towards substance abuse? And have you ever experimented with any other illegal substances? PCP, cocaine, meth etc etc? Have you ever been clean? Can you function without any of the above if you're using them?
Because I'm not an idiot. PCP, Cocaine, Meth and other "hard" drugs ruin your health if used enough. Marijuana does not. I use a vaporizer to burn my bud and all I inhale is water vapors. Every once in a while I will bake mine in edibles as well. Absolutely no harm done. Alcohol damages every organ in your body, yet people are contempt with it being legal.

Can I function without marijuana? Of course. I have for the past 3 weeks. There are no hangovers, no withdrawals or side effects from coming off of it. It's not an addictive substance.

"Great, now show me the ragtag weedhead' High school drop out who can't maintain steady employment, who's middle aged, listens to Nirvana and resides in his parent's basement while he's getting buzzed half the day."

This is just a terrible generalization that anti-marijuana people have used for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 05:11 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,675,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I smoke everyday.

I'm 26 years old and haven't been without a job since I was 15 and a half years old(Obtained a worker's permit). I probably have better work ethics than you do. This "pothead", "deadhead", "stoner", "marijuana abuser", "weedhead" or whatever you want to call me just took an IT job off the market 3 weeks ago. I start my new IT position tomorrow.

What about the initial drug test? Oh, I'm 5'7 @ 128lbs with a very high metabolism. I can get clean in 2 weeks. Can get clean faster if I exercise and drink more water.
Congratulations on getting a new job. Not an easy task with so many people looking for employment. And you 'weedhead' were chosen over many 'straight' applicants.

I have smoked regularly off and on since I was 18. I have never been fired from a job, I have held less jobs than the average person my age because I am a long term employee, an excellent worker who shows up on time. I worked 3 years at one job before I missed a day for the first time and I missed it because I had the flu and not because I was hungover from too much of a party the night before.
However, even in my younger days when I stayed out all night smoking but not drinking, I still showed up to work on time and did my job.

And yes, there are those who drop out and live in their parents basement...but did marijuana cause them to do this? I think not. If there was no weed, they would have found some other substance to abuse themselves with.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:24 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
pentatonic
Quote:
Because I'm not an idiot. PCP, Cocaine, Meth and other "hard" drugs ruin your health if used enough. Marijuana does not. I use a vaporizer to burn my bud and all I inhale is water vapors. Every once in a while I will bake mine in edibles as well. Absolutely no harm done. Alcohol damages every organ in your body, yet people are contempt with it being legal.

Can I function without marijuana? Of course. I have for the past 3 weeks. There are no hangovers, no withdrawals or side effects from coming off of it. It's not an addictive substance.
Congrats. Most habitual users that I know, are what I would consider abusers in denial. Do you purchase it off the street? I ask because normally dealers are the 'gateway' to other illegal substances, which is why I questioned your possible experimentation of other 'hard drugs.' You don't necessarily have to be an "idiot" for that, it's just the way that it usually goes. Normally sellers attempt to solicit you into other drugs if they see that you're a steady customer of a particular one.

Quote:
This is just a terrible generalization that anti-marijuana people have used for years.
Yes, but your personal example is a diengenuous one as well.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:09 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
OwlKaMyst

Quote:
I'm not redefining anything....

ABUSE
Verb:
Use (something) to bad effect or for a bad purpose; misuse.

'to bad effect'*
Yes, you are. But nice try. Now look up "subtance abuse" not simply "abuse"..."domestic abuse" or..."verbal abuse"...but "substance abuse"

"Substance abuse, as a disorder, refers to the abuse of illegal substances or the abusive use of legal substances"

Substance Abuse/Chemical Dependency

Quote:
If a person has no self-motivation, and smokes marijuana and they continue to sit on the couch, then they are abusing it. It is not helping them that's for sure.

If a person is not in the mood to clean their house but knows it needs to be done and smokes a J to make cleaning tolerable, they are using it to find the motivation....that is not 'to a bad effect'

I'm no expert, but that is a classic sign of chemical dependency. If you need a drug to alter your behavior...that is a level of chemical dependency, and yes you need help.

Quote:
And when I answered you Q, I considered the babysitter and investment advisor examples as daily users, not casual.

It's not an example, but simply a question. An example would be something like getting getting into a car with a drunk driver. While there is no gurantee that the drunk driver will be in an accident, the risk that you are in danger is substantially greater.

Quote:
Perhaps I am misunderstanding your position, but it sounds to me that you perceive that anyone who smokes marijuana on a regular basis is an abuser. From my experience, it is not like that.*
No, please keep in mind that I said "weedhead" specifically in congruity with "functional drunk." Having a single drink once a week doesn't make one a "functional drunk" anymore than someone who smokes marijuana once a week a "weedhead."

But yes, someone who "regularly" uses marijuana is what I would consider a "weedhead" and/or abuser of an illegal substance.

Quote:
However, I will give your position some credit. I don't totally disagree with you.*
Many people, regardless of their drug of choice are abusers, many, but not all. And many more of those are on stuff that is legal, out numbering the pot smokers
No disagreement there. There are other legalized substances that are also being abused.

However you pretty much substantiated my original comment. There are more people who abuse legalized substances because of the simple fact that they are in fact legal and accessible. Legalizing drugs (such as marijuana) just increases accesibility and elevates the number of people who use it. If you did legalize marijuana for example--you would probably have triple or more the number of users that you have now.

Quote:
Again- this goes back to a predisposition that is just part of human nature. Some people have addictive personalities and others do not.*
So let us ALL stop pointing the finger at different substances and hit the nail on the head....if one has an addictive personality, an emotional instability, a mental disfunction, they are likely that way from birth. Life experiences, environment and personal will *is the determining factor wether or not the individual will be productive & responsible or *will be thorn in societies side until they get help.
Again, I'm no expert, but you DO NOT have to have an "addictive personality" to become chemically dependent on a substance. It's a biochemical dependence, not entirely psychological.

Quote:
I respect that you are not comfortable with users, but don't peg all users as abusers just because they like to enjoy Marijuana on a daily basis.
I get a bit of a giggle out of this because as I said before, there are people who regularly smoke and you would never ever guess that they did.

Quote:
Maybe your babysitter does smoke and they are so wonderful, presentable and intelligent enough that you can't even imagine that they are a pothead.....how would you really know without asking them outright?
Perhaps. But with the knowledge beforehand I would NOT allow a babysitter, a financial advsor etc etc to watch my children, manage my assets due to the simple risks and lifestyle associated with chemical dependency.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:09 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,675,837 times
diengenuous.....that's not even a word!
What have you been smoking?!
(jk)

Old 03-11-2012, 09:13 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I can do without artificial living. I can enjoy real life, without any stupid mind-altering drugs.
How did I know you'd pop in here with your self-righteous attitude? Get over yourself, nobody cares... and if you don't wanna smoke, don't. Simple as that.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:16 PM

And in response to the original question, out here in the Bay Area (where it's medically legal, decriminalized & highly tolerated), we treat it similarly to cigarette smoking... meaning, if a sign is posted stating "No Smoking" that applies to marijuana as well. People will usually tolerate pot smoke over cigarette smoke, so the rules aren't always enforced equally - but most of us legal users know where we are & are not supposed to light up in public. As for myself, I typically only smoke at home anyway.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:19 PM

P.S. One exception to the above rule is the cannabis club setting... in California you can't smoke cigarettes inside ANY public buildings, but they will allow "medicating" on the premises of certain MMJ clubs. Not all, but some have smoking lounges where only pot is allowed - no tobacco, period.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
However you pretty much substantiated my original comment. There are more people who abuse legalized substances because of the simple fact that they are in fact legal and accessible. Legalizing drugs (such as marijuana) just increases accesibility and elevates the number of people who use it. If you did legalize marijuana for example--you would probably have triple or more the number of users that you have now.
You stated a couple of times that "you're no expert," and that seems to be painfully obvious. We haven't seen any noticeable increase in smokers here since it was "legalized" (for all intents & purposes), and I can't think of a single person who didn't smoke before & started only because it's now legal... well, except for my mom's friend who died of breast cancer, and used it to relieve pain in her final months. But I hardly think that qualifies in terms of your point, do you?

Quote:
Perhaps. But with the knowledge beforehand I would NOT allow a babysitter, a financial advsor etc etc to watch my children, manage my assets due to the simple risks and lifestyle associated with chemical dependency.
Your loss, but unless they're high at the time, it should have no impact on their ability to perform a job or care for children... I've been smoking since age 16, yet still somehow managed to earn two college (BA & Master's) degrees with honors, and have held down professional jobs ever since. I used to manage a library, including financial responsibilities, and I've worked with kids in most of my jobs... never have I ever gone to work high, as I only smoke at night, and never has it affected my ability to function on the job. You'd be surprised how many people partake, as I've known teachers, cops, lawyers, bankers, etc, who are/were regular smokers. Just as with alcohol, some people can indulge after work and still be otherwise responsible - and some people cannot. I think you know when you're encountering the latter, too!

Old 03-11-2012, 09:34 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I use it to fall asleep at night. Instead of using pills that damage your liver. It needs to be legalized only if it's for medical purposes. Both my parents have suffered horrible pain due to lupus, cancer, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. It's helps with pain, it's true.
I don't care if it's legalized. In fact, I want it to be legalized. I can't imagine wasting billions of dollars on this crap taking away people's right to do as they please while my city (which helped this country win WWII) is on the verge of financial collapse. However, would it be too much for you and your parents to get their fix before they enter a public establishment? Is it too much to ask for you to be cosndierate of others who don't want to inhale your toxins (or medicine, whatever you call it)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies