Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 09:12 AM

840 posts, read 781,697 times

Advertisements

Mom With Breast Pump 'Humiliated' by TSA - Yahoo! News

Thank god we got the TSA protecting us from these evil terrorists..I tell ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 09:17 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Look I disagree with the TSA a lot, but they asked her to prove the breast pump in the bathroom. This isn't exactly open for all to see, she didn't have to do it in front of men, just other women in the bathroom walking in. Not exactly the outrage I've heard of before.

And the TSA admits some guilt here, but the woman wanted to bring an icepack on the plane, and the only way you can do that is if its medically necessary.

I'm confused, breast feeding mothers get mad when others say its weird to do it in public, then when they have to do it in a somewhat public area of a womens bathroom, its an outrage?

Old 03-03-2012, 09:49 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Look I disagree with the TSA a lot, but they asked her to prove the breast pump in the bathroom. This isn't exactly open for all to see, she didn't have to do it in front of men, just other women in the bathroom walking in. Not exactly the outrage I've heard of before.

And the TSA admits some guilt here, but the woman wanted to bring an icepack on the plane, and the only way you can do that is if its medically necessary.

I'm confused, breast feeding mothers get mad when others say its weird to do it in public, then when they have to do it in a somewhat public area of a womens bathroom, its an outrage?
It depends on the woman. Lots of women don't breastfeed where others can see them, you know. You can't assume she's a public breastfeeder.

Also, it's a bit different when you are forced to do something, forced to have someone watch you - as a man, do you use public urinals? Would you like it if someone forced you to pee in a public place so they could watch? Not facing a wall, facing the person who insists on verifying your urine production? (and no, for those who will inevitably leap on this comparison - I am NOT equating the act of breastfeeding/pumping with the act of urination. I am equating the invasion of privacy for the illusion of security.)

Old 03-03-2012, 09:53 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
It depends on the woman. Lots of women don't breastfeed where others can see them, you know. You can't assume she's a public breastfeeder.

Also, it's a bit different when you are forced to do something, forced to have someone watch you - as a man, do you use public urinals? Would you like it if someone forced you to pee in a public place so they could watch? Not facing a wall, facing the person who insists on verifying your urine production? (and no, for those who will inevitably leap on this comparison - I am NOT equating the act of breastfeeding/pumping with the act of urination. I am equating the invasion of privacy for the illusion of security.)
No one forced her to get on a plane, did they?

Old 03-03-2012, 09:56 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
Really?? Sounds to me like she had to fly to travel for her job. So, yes.

Quote:
Strand, 38, is a mother of four and principal at a public school in Maui. She frequently travels between islands for business and had never had a problem with the equipment before.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:56 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,472,056 times
Quote:
You shouldn't have be dehumanized to fly, especially when the taxpayer has bailed this industry out a few times, not to mention that the TSA is a taxpayer funded organization.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:01 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Quote:
Seriously? Now breastfeeding mothers need to find other arrangements for travel unless they agree to essentially perform a dog-and-pony trick for the TSA?

People choose to take a laptops on a plane all the time. How come all these people don't have to first turn it on and prove that it's a functioning laptop and not a bomb masquerading as a laptop?

And the ice packs are for keeping the breast milk cool. Or are babies whose mothers travel expected to ingest spoiled breast milk too?

Old 03-03-2012, 10:06 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Default Where is NOW on this?

Come on you leftists supporting state control, isn't this more an infringement upon women's rights than getting "free" contraception? Or, is it ok because morally the infant requiring its mother's breast milk isn't "fully human"?

Coming next: TSA to perform after-birth abortions for mother's refusing to submit to lactation verification.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:08 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Come on you leftists supporting state control, isn't this more an infringement upon women's rights than getting "free" contraception? Or, is it ok because morally the infant requiring its mother's breast milk isn't "fully human"?
Don't hijack this thread with your warped agenda. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Coming next: TSA to perform after-birth abortions for mother's refusing to submit to lactation verification.
Idiotic. But I'm glad that your revision made your agenda all the more obvious, as if that was needed. There are already plenty of anti-choice threads where you can spout your views.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:11 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Default statism duly noted

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Don't hijack this thread with your warped agenda. Thanks.
So you fit into the category that approves breastfeeding women who travel with infants must undergo lactation verification by TSA. Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies