Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 02:37 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times

Advertisements

Except for exceptional circumstances, like being 70 and having 3 types of cancer, health insurance is available and affordable. I have shopped around for the hell of it using several different states for comparison and all of the plans were quite affordable. (ie. $80-250 month). Is it the best insurance on the planet? Not neccessarily, but with out of pocket maximums, it's much better than nothing.

Are there exceptions? Of course. But I don't buy the whole "its not affordable" argument. It's all about priorities. If insurance costs $250 per month, and you really need health insurance, then you prioritize your spending accordingly.

Millions of American's don't even know how to budget. That they also don't understand their priorities is of no concern to me.

www.ehealthinsurance.com (See for yourself)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 02:49 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Except for exceptional circumstances, like being 70 and having 3 types of cancer, health insurance is available and affordable. I have shopped around for the hell of it using several different states for comparison and all of the plans were quite affordable. (ie. $80-250 month). Is it the best insurance on the planet? Not neccessarily, but with out of pocket maximums, it's much better than nothing.

Are there exceptions? Of course. But I don't buy the whole "its not affordable" argument. It's all about priorities. If insurance costs $250 per month, and you really need health insurance, then you prioritize your spending accordingly.

Millions of American's don't even know how to budget. That they also don't understand their priorities is of no concern to me, and paying for their ignorance is not part of my financial portfolio.

Not sure where you get health insurance here for $250 per month without a high co pay or restrictions. Even work related health insurance here is around $80 per week with high copays and more for out of network usage.
We must get rid of the Insurance based health system here.
With a Govt. funded health system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL treatments for everyone from before birth until the grave..... If anyone still wants a private health insurance then the premiums are far far far cheaper as the Insurance company has to compete with the UHC. Drugs also become significantly cheaper with a UHC..... so everyone is a winner but at a fraction of the current cost with no loss of quality of care..... like in the UK, where you can pay for the NHS AND a private insurance plan for less than just a limited private plan here.............. not sure why intelligent people here want a expensive system that only covers you while you can afford the premiums??????????????????????????????

Old 03-28-2012, 02:50 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
I agree. Some people feel it's more important to have the latest smartphone, DVR's in every room of their home, and $200 Nike's than to spend a couple hundred per month on health insurance.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:50 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Not sure where you get health insurance here for $250 per month without a high co pay or restrictions. Even work related health insurance here is around $80 per week with high copays and more for out of network usage.
We must get rid of the Insurance based health system here.
With a Govt. funded health system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL treatments for everyone from before birth until the grave..... If anyone still wants a private health insurance then the premiums are far far far cheaper as the Insurance company has to compete with the UHC. Drugs also become significantly cheaper with a UHC..... so everyone is a winner but at a fraction of the current cost with no loss of quality of care..... like in the UK, where you can pay for the NHS AND a private insurance plan for less than just a limited private plan here.............. not sure why inteligent people here want a expensive system that only covers you while you can afford the premiums??????????????????????????????
What's wrong with high copays? What do you deem to be "high?"

Old 03-28-2012, 02:56 PM

8,633 posts, read 9,142,888 times
My BCBS PPO was 1800 bucks a month. Just my wife and I, small company, employer payed half. We are in NOVA

Old 03-28-2012, 03:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:

Millions of American's don't even know how to budget. That they also don't understand their priorities is of no concern to me.

Yep...so long as you don't have a family it's quite reasonable.

Get a few family members, and it get's pretty damn steep. And i mean REAL STEEP.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep...so long as you don't have a family it's quite reasonable.

Get a few family members, and it get's pretty damn steep. And i mean REAL STEEP.
But Desert! You're supposed to have PRIORITIES! My goodness. Knock off with the food and mortgage and clothing and car payments and gasoline and paying the electric bill and all that yucky stuff you're piddling away your money on and get your priorities in order.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:09 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
Quote:
What's wrong with high copays? What do you deem to be "high?"
Please tell me why anyone should pay a high premium AND a high co pay?
Maybe that seems ok here............. eg.... a CEO gets a high salary and a mega bonus here.....why? Is his high salary just for putting in a appearance?
Same with health Insurance..... what are the premiums for... just to put your name on their list?
To pay high co pays here is normal but wrong. The premiums and a very low co pay to stop silly little claims ($300 max) is enough.... ooops i forgot that would mean the insurance companies making millions instead of billions...lmao.
With a Govt funded UHC there are absolutely NO co pays for treatment.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:12 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
Quote:
Except for exceptional circumstances, like being 70 and having 3 types of cancer, health insurance is available and affordable.
Tell that to the millions of people without insurance, many whom cannot afford it or have conditions which cause their exclusion. A rather naive perspective, in the OP.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:12 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
I have a pre existing condition.
I have never even received a quote at all. Period.
Once they find out about my disorder, they have all told me there is nothing they can do and wished me well. What should people like me do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies