Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:52 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times

Advertisements

Jeans Made in USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 11:53 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
American Made Products and/or Services Made in USA

Old 03-09-2012, 11:58 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I went to NAPA today to purchase a filter wrench. The only ones they had were made in Taiwan, so I declined to buy one. Went right next door to Carquest and purchased one made in the USA. Difference in price? About a dollar.

Last week, I was in Walmart, no less, looking for a teflon coated skillet. The only one they had made in the USA was also the least expensive. All the rest were made in China and were a few dollars more. Guess which one I bought?

The point is that American made stuff is out there if you look for it. And, that imported crap isn't always the cheapest, which gives the lie to the old excuse that out-sourcing our jobs keeps prices down. BS. Too often, it just means higher profits.

Anybody else have some successes at buying American they'd like to share?
Good for you, I just traded in TWO Korean cars for two FORDS built in UAW plants. It cost me $35,000 plus trade ins but I am doing my part

Old 03-09-2012, 12:08 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
One of the best knives I own I made from a Chevy leaf spring when I was about 10 years old. Cut, forged, hardened, tempered, ground and honed by me of USA steel. Still have it and it is still sharp.

The best car I ever owned was a '92 Buick Wagon. The worse a Dodge Dart. Go figure.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:44 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
I have broken the tips of of 4 kershaws( stupidyly using them as a screwdriver) and they have replaced the blades at no charge. I almost wish they would charge me so I would stop doing it.
Oh GOD,I've done that thinking I could get away with it..never have.

I had a really old 1 bladed German Eye with butterscotch handles that I dearly loved...I had a fuse blow on an old Chevy dually and I dropped down and started to dig it out with that knife and grounded it out on the clutch petal by accident....it burnt the tip off instantly

Old 03-09-2012, 01:39 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I have posted this just about every time someone starts a thread about America doesn't make things here anymore.

Made in America isn't that hard to find.

Made in the USA Products Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Link?
Post #71

Old 03-10-2012, 01:21 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
...Obviously I think that. A company doesn't exist as a charity towards me. If I am not adding value to my company, then why the hell wouldn't they move? Either gain the skills to stay valuable, or lose your job.

You completely missed my point. If someone can do my job for a third of the pay in another country, then it is time for me to LEARN A NEW JOB. I don't expect to work the exact same job for the next 30 years!
And you missed MY point. No matter how good you are at your job, if the company wants to maximize profits and they can do that by a company move, they will; IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR OR YOUR JOB PERFORMANCE!!!

And why wouldn't you want to do the same job for 30yrs? Optimistically, you SHOULD be doing something you love in the first place, IMO. With my degree, I am planning on doing the same thing till retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Oh GOD,I've done that thinking I could get away with it..never have.

I had a really old 1 bladed German Eye with butterscotch handles that I dearly loved...I had a fuse blow on an old Chevy dually and I dropped down and started to dig it out with that knife and grounded it out on the clutch petal by accident....it burnt the tip off instantly
I am going to stay out of the knife debate, but I will say I only like one company and that's Henckels. They aren't cheap at all, but they are WELL worth it in quality, IMO.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:26 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
And you missed MY point. No matter how good you are at your job, if the company wants to maximize profits and they can do that by a company move, they will; IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR OR YOUR JOB PERFORMANCE!!!
His naiveté reminds me of a guy I used to work for.

He was the fleet manager for company which ran its own trucks to service its customers. Being a good, diligent employee, he began a cost cutting regimen with the ultimate goal of doing away with that fleet in favor of outsourcing the company's transportation needs to save money. He was very good at it and eventually succeeded in parking every truck.

During this process, I once said to him, "You know that without a fleet, the company won't need a fleet manager, right?" But, he was firmly convinced that the company would take care of him and reward him for his due diligence by promoting him into a more responsible job. After all, he thought, he was such a good employee that his success would not go un-noticed.

Guess what happened to him on the day the last trucks shut down for good?

Old 03-11-2012, 08:01 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
At the store today and needed a box of dry onion soup mix.

Lipton: Product of Canada

Albertson's house brand: Product of the USA

Old 03-12-2012, 06:35 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post

And why wouldn't you want to do the same job for 30yrs? Optimistically, you SHOULD be doing something you love in the first place, IMO. With my degree, I am planning on doing the same thing till retirement.
You still don't get it. I am valuable to my company if I add to their bottom line or if I save them money. Obviously what they get out of it matters, not what I put in. So again, obviously, if the company can get more out of someone else than me (regardless of what country they are in), they should absolutely do it. If I am in danger of that happening, it is up to me to build the skills to add more value to the company. If I can't do that, then I deserve to lose my job.

Doing the same thing for 30 years sounds very dead-end to me. I want to progress, learn, and move into bigger and better jobs. The only constant thing in life is that everything changes. Either adapt to the times, or get left behind. Having an attitude that a person deserves to have the same job for their entire life, regardless of what else is going on is essentially admitting that the person is does not want to adapt to the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies