Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 05:40 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Cool. now maybe you should do a little research on this Professor he was praising.

Yep...so radical that Nixon's AG William Rogers recruited him. Get a life.

Derrick Bell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 05:41 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Many are missing the point here.

Study Derrick Bell, his theology, his motivations.

Then you begin to understand the man O embraces and yes, aspires to continue Bell's own aspirations.
Already did. His motivation was equal treatment for black men and women. It's why he refused to leave the NAACP in the 60s, and why he protested various colleges throughout his academic career.

I know that republicans tend to fly into a tantrum when they're told that the US doesn't have a great history when it comes to this, but they really need to grow up and accept reality.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:42 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Thanks for posting this video!

Watching it showed me that President Barack Obama was a born leader even back in his Harvard Law School days.

Your video has given me even GREATER RESPECT for President Obama.

I can't wait to vote for him ONCE AGAIN in November !!!
Isn't it funny how the RWNJs are shown for the idiots they are at every turn. They have tried and tried to throw dirt on President Obama and it doesn't stick. And each time they try their dirty politics it backfires.

But I guess we'll just have to deal with the stupidity of the Repubs and Tea Party ilk until the end of President Obama's term (Jan 2017)

Old 03-07-2012, 06:00 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times
Quote:
Cool. now maybe you should do a little research on this Professor he was praising.
Ok ... a little research ...

Quote:
Born in the Hill District of Pittsburgh, Bell received an A.B. from Duquesne University in 1952 and an LL.B. from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law in 1957. After graduation, and after a recommendation from then United States Associate Attorney General William Rogers, Bell took a position with the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Justice Department. He was the only Black person working for the Justice Department at the time. In 1959, the government asked him to resign his membership in the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) because it was thought that his objectivity, and that of the department, might be compromised or called into question. Bell quit rather than giving up his NAACP membership.
Soon afterwards, Bell took a position as an assistant counsel for the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund (LDF), crafting legal strategies at the forefront of the battle to undo racist laws and segregation in schools. At the LDF, he worked alongside other prominent civil rights attorneys such as Thurgood Marshall, Robert L. Carter and Constance Baker Motley. Bell was assigned to Mississippi, the cradle of the deep South, where racism was at its most virulent and entrenched. While working at the LDF, Bell supervised more than 300 school desegregation cases and spearheaded the fight of James Meredith to secure admission to the University of Mississippi over the protests of Governor Ross Barnett. [2]
  • Recommended by U.S. Associate Attorney General
  • Only black working at the Justice Dept
  • Stood by his principles concerning the NAACP
  • Battled to undo racist laws and segregation
  • Staged protests against racial inequality among professors at Harvard

Seems to me like this is a man I would WANT BARACK OBAMA to stand behind and support !!!

What exactly about Professor Bell bothers you?

A man who stood up to racial injustice!

Did Martin Luther King's protests also bother you as well?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:01 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I can hear it now. The words "selectively edited" will give Liberals and Democrats enough ammunition to completely disregard anything that may be damaging to the President.

I'll bet $20 that's the track that will be taken in the aftermath of these releases.
I'll bet you $1000 that nobody will give a **** once it is released.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Ok ... a little research ...

• Recommended by U.S. Attorney General ...
  • Only black working at the Justice Dept ...
  • Stood by his principles concerning the NAACP !!!
  • Battled to undo racist laws and segregation
  • Staged protests against racial inequality among professors at Harvard

Seems to me like this is a man I would WANT BARACK OBAMA to stand behind and support !!!

What exactly about Professor Bell bothers you?

A man who stood up to racial injustice!

Did Martin Luther King's protests also bother you as well?
That's what happens when you parrot second-hand information and make claims on someone you know absolutely nothing about...unfortunately, it's par for the course in political discourse these days.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
The reason for the protest is more interesting to me, demanding Harvard hire a black female professor. Did the protesters care about qualification or was race and gender paramount?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:07 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The reason for the protest is more interesting to me, demanding Harvard hire a black female professor. Did the protesters care about qualification or was race and gender paramount?
Today these same type of people care LESS about qualification, and MORE about race.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:09 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
THE VETTING: Ben Smith Releases Selectively Edited Obama Race Video

Vetting continues

Interesting to see what actually was cut out. Look forward to seeing it.

Full video will be on Hannity tonight with discussion with Ben Shapiro
Hate to disappoint the conspiracy theorists but, as per ABC News this footage was not 'lost' nor was it covered-up. It was included in a "Frontline" documentary in 2008, prior to the election.

From the ABC News link:
"UPDATE: I’m reminded that some of this video appeared in FRONTLINE’s excellent 2008 report “The Choice” (clickHERE, it’s about 29:30 minutes into the report.)"

Watch The Full Program Online | The Choice 2008 | FRONTLINE | PBS

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...rd-law-school/

Old 03-07-2012, 06:13 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
What was Alinsky supposed to have done that was so terrible anyways?
Oh, you know. Rallied poor workers in Chicago in the early 20th century to fight for better pay and working conditions.
Bad stuff like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies