Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 05:40 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
They won't, unless the oil industry lobby tells them to.
LOL. Blame the evil oil industry. You folks take the cake. The industry that has allowed the US to become the greatest economy in the history of the earth is vilified. All I can do is shake my head in amazement at the utter insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I am realizing more and more this guy should have stayed a community organizer and anyone defending his energy policies have to be brain dead .

Food prices will skyrocket again with diesel being the primary cost to ship the product. Diesel is more expensive than gas because the EPA has their hand in the blend and we Americans will be lucky to get fed under Obama and his crazy energy policies.

The working poor and the fixed income elderly will be hit the hardest. Obama is doing in this country.. more job loses as they cut back with higher energy costs to run a business.

Oh, the Hollywood crowd will eat good. What do they really care about the working poor?
Yes the people who these democrats always claim to care about are the ones they are socking it to with all these nonsense green energy policies. And these same people will vote for these democrats yet again because they will lap up the rhetoric to blame the republicans for all their ills and the evil rich and the evil banks and the evil oil companies. All nonsense.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:45 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
gee...your not very smart
You lost me at "your", workingclass

Somehow I couldn't bring myself to read the rest, as I was laughing so hard

This thread's been a blast! Somehow I couldn't resist replying at this post.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:58 PM
pvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Too bad Obama has given support to Brazil to help them further exploit their own oil resources:

http://thenewamerican.com/tech-mainmenu-30/energy/6824-obama-commits-american-support-to-brazilian-oil (broken link)
Gosh, the man is brilliant! First, the more nations we can get off mid-eastern oil, the less it could potentially cost us at the pump.

Second, get the other nations to chase the vanishing oil reserves, and while they are mesmerized, give America a chance to catch up (yes, "catch up") on alternative technologies, and maybe even develop some of our own new ones.

Genius! Sheer genius!

Old 03-08-2012, 06:06 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
hmmm

yet its the liberals that are against NASA

not quite,,,they were PRIVATE INDUSTRY

..that would be military science....yet the liberals are anti-military
What liberals are against NASA? I've never heard that, once.

And, well, the most famous rail project of all, the transcontinental railroad, was spearheaded by government. Lots of money, lots of grants, and the work done by contractors, essentially, which is what the government does now anyway for most construction projects.

And, of course, DARPA (formerly ARPA), is a government organization. They're tasked with inventing the impossible. You should check out their project list sometime, it's amazing what they develop with their budget and time-frames.

And, back to NASA. Without the government, you wouldn't have GPS either, which is used extensively by the civilian market. No private investors have the capital that the government does, and the government is a quintessential director in steering the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
In empirical terms (not political), all fossil fuels are "of the past", as in consolidated solar energy.

It is also common sense to shift from using "past" solar to "present" solar input to power our structures, industry and transportation.

Cows are an ingenious way to turn sunlight into steak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
It's another one of Barry's many stupid comments. Oil is natural, not a pollutant (if used correctly).
You're talking ****, explain yourself.

Quote:
It is part of our heritage and is the driving force of our nation's economy in many different ways, from personal transportation to shipping goods to air travel, on and on. All this so-called president wants to do is shut down our freeways so we'd have no place to go (and, no, his idea of a what a car should be will likely never happen). All he's done is kill thousands of job opportunities and the chance of keeping prices down, and all for the sake of left-wing jibberish.
This is inane. Hyperbole followed by unsubstantiated claim followed by ad hominem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The real shortcomings with solar are that of storage and density. While it could be a stop-gap for electrical energy supplementation in those areas with optimal sunlight throughout the year it is not realistically consistent for widespread dependency (same holds for wind).
I can only agree with you to an extent. We'd be foolish to put solar panels in a state that gets only 60 days of sunshine a year, but foolish to leave out wind-turbines in an area with average wind-speeds of 20mph. Just because some places wouldn't feasibly support solar, wind, or tidal power, doesn't mean we should just toss out the idea all together as some suggest. Find, solar-panels aren't the optimal solution for Michigan, but those Great Lakes generate tremendous energy in wind. Arizona, Nevada, and California have an untapped resource of sun. All forms of solar power would thrive out there.

And the government should absolutely get involved in moving these projects along. If not now, when? When the oil is dried up and gone already? Non-sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Germany isn't in one of those optimal-throughout-the-year-sunlight regions and yet has done well. Japan is investing in solar power. And we complain when "foreigners" bring their experience when we simply pushed our own entrepreneurs aside for political reasons.

Excuses are for losers.
We really are a backward society.

Quote:
We no longer call oil a fossil fuel as that is not an accurate description.
Explain.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
wow...can the ubumer tell us what is the present or future fuel for airplanes????
Gee and I thought American's greatest claim to fame was technological advancement. To listen to all you reactionaries one must come to the conclusion that what is today shall always be, and it will be if you folks have your way.

If we don't start thinking about tomorrow today when that day in the future comes this country won't be racing to the bottom, it will be.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:37 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Gee and I thought American's greatest claim to fame was technological advancement. To listen to all you reactionaries one must come to the conclusion that what is today shall always be, and it will be if you folks have your way.

If we don't start thinking about tomorrow today when that day in the future comes this country won't be racing to the bottom, it will be.
When alternative energy becoes economically compelling, it will be unstoppable. Until then, it will be unsupportable....despite the BILLIONS wasted on it. Spen five times as much on basic research, but not a dime on senseless mandates that make us poorer. Poverty kills! And Obama is spreading it.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:43 PM
pvs

Quote:
The real shortcomings with solar are that of storage and density. While it could be a stop-gap for electrical energy supplementation in those areas with optimal sunlight throughout the year it is not realistically consistent for widespread dependency (same holds for wind).
In my opinion only, this is a short-sighted and depressing view of the potentials that exist for alternative energies. They say 90% (or whatever ... don't quote me) of the solution to a problem is in its identification, which you listed in your first sentence.

IMO (humble or whatever), what the USA doesn't do in regards to finding a replacement energy source, believe me, other nations WILL do, and we will pay more if the solution is not, at least in part, our own.

We should've been putting more tax dollars towards alternative energy supplies since Clinton or before. It's about TIME we have a president who wants to catch up! Too bad so many people seem to hate him. Personally, I don't understand why.

Last edited by pvs; 03-08-2012 at 07:02 PM..

Old 03-08-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
In my opinion only, this is a short-sighted and depressing view of the potentials that exist for alternative energies. They say 90% (or whatever ... don't quote me) of the solution to a problem is in its identification, which you listed in your first sentence.

IMO (humble or whatever), what the USA doesn't do in regards to finding a replacement energy source, believe me, other nations WILL do, and we will pay more if the solution is not, at least in part, our own.

We should've been putting more tax dollars towards alternative energy supplies since Clinton or before. It's about TIME we have a president who wants to catch up! Too bad so many people seem to hate him. Personally, I don't understand why.
Look at Spain and German as an example of what "others will do" and the debacle that their green energy and government subsidizing did. It was a complete disaster. Thankfully we can learn from their mistakes.............duh...........no we're not.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:21 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Exactly. Let's see how many people on this forum want to go back to this.

[youtube]duJr4owjpOE[/youtube]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duJr4owjpOE]Pioneer Skills Pioneer Clothes Washing - YouTube[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies