Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 11:25 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times

Advertisements

Thank you GOP

Paul Carroll, a 86-year-old World War II veteran, was denied his right to vote in Ohio's primary contest today after a poll worker refused to accept Carroll's photo ID from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

The poll worker rejected the ID because it did not contain a home address, as required by an Ohio law that was passed by Republicans to combat alleged "voter fraud."

Quote:
“My beef is that I had to pay a driver to take me up there because I don’t walk so well and have to use this cane and now I can’t even vote,” said Paul Carroll, 86, who has lived in Aurora nearly 40 years, running his own business, Carroll Tire, until 1975.

I had to stop driving, but I got the photo ID from the Veterans Affairs instead, just a month or so ago. You would think that would count for something. I went to war for this country, but now I can’t vote in this country.”
Portage County veteran, 86, doesn't vote after VA identification card rejected at polls | cleveland.com

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/03/0...-test-in-ohio/

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/polit...ied-right-vote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 01:46 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times
Did the gentleman think of bringing a piece of mail from home as well?

Old 03-08-2012, 02:30 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,512,367 times
Most states now issue an Identification Card if a person does not need to drive. Here's a link to the state of Ohio:
ODPS | BMV | State Identification Card
The VA card is only good for VA services. It's essentially a glorified version of the Blockbuster card (back when Blockbuster was still in business).

Old 03-08-2012, 02:48 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Most states now issue an Identification Card if a person does not need to drive. Here's a link to the state of Ohio:
ODPS | BMV | State Identification Card
Yeah, lets harass the old timers who've been doing it the same way for 50yrs and make them accommodate someone else's dementia. That's sounds right to 'conservatives'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
The VA card is only good for VA services. It's essentially a glorified version of the Blockbuster card (back when Blockbuster was still in business).
Crock and a half. The VA screening process is 6 inches deep. The only way around it is if you knew the intimate details of a service member and faked your way into that card, but that could be done obtaining a drivers license as well.

I find it no small coincidence that dixiecrats authored the notions of prohibitive voting restrictions and the grand daddy's of gerrymandering. Shouldn't this crap be given the boot once and for good? Maybe if you didn't have a vote anymore we could abolish the practices permanently.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:32 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Why would anybody be hostile to requiring some type valid ID in order to vote?

I'm sure most Democrats support such laws. Why wouldn't they?

Old 03-08-2012, 04:08 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,585,553 times
Thumbs down GOP Desperation...

Another symptom of the deep festering psychosis afflicting the GOP these days. This whole nutty obsession with voter fraud is an exaggeration at best. Their attempt to limit citizens' access to voting is a violation of the constitution they claim so loudly to "defend."

The only election in recent history that was probably affected by fraud was Dubya's "win" in Florida back in 2000 and it was the GOP that pulled it off, not individual voters.

This whole Republican position of being afraid of and hostile to the American public is far from a winning proposition for them. This is a political party suffering from internal turmoil that threatens to disintegrate them.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:23 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
It's not the GOP's fault or the person at the polling place.

If the law requires an ID with an address on it, then the fault lies with the prospective voter who shows up without one. And, the fact that he's an elderly Veteran isn't germain to the story. It's just an emotional hook to get readers all excited.

Given the number of voters in Ohio, I doubt he was the only one turned away state wide, don't you? Yet, you hear nothing about those others. Why?

Old 03-08-2012, 05:31 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,863,269 times
Do you realize how many voters were turned away in FL in 2000 because Reps said they were felons , when it was known they weren't? it was thousands. Or the number of servicemen and women that were denied because they were serving their country and didn't get the notice in the mail mailed to their FL address - no forward allowed)

I would think this would cause greater outrage as it is the actual right to vote being denied eligible people, in order to swing(steal) an election....which it did. This old guy just didn't have the right ID in order to vote,

Old 03-08-2012, 05:56 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,585,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It's not the GOP's fault or the person at the polling place.

If the law requires an ID with an address on it, then the fault lies with the prospective voter who shows up without one. And, the fact that he's an elderly Veteran isn't germain to the story. It's just an emotional hook to get readers all excited.

Given the number of voters in Ohio, I doubt he was the only one turned away state wide, don't you? Yet, you hear nothing about those others. Why?

NO!

The fault lies in the law recently passed by a fearful GOP legislature. They're afraid of and hostile to the American public. They know the demographics don't favor their narrow, irrational agenda and they react by passing voter suppression laws like the one in Ohio.

The GOP is currently very ill. And they're not even looking for a cure.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:03 AM

840 posts, read 781,501 times
Should have had an address on it. GOP did a good thing by passing that law so stop complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies