Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:06 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Police are nothing more than agents of the state tasked with filling its coffers.
If a cop does something good for the taxpayer, it is incidental to their true mission.
In other words, you hate cops. It's certainly your right to do so.

Out of curiosity why beat around the bush? Just come out and say what you mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 08:09 PM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
In other words, you hate cops. It's certainly your right to do so.

Out of curiosity why beat around the bush? Just come out and say what you mean.
I did. Cops represent the interests of the state.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I did. Cops represent the interests of the state.
No, you didn't. You offered an unsubstantiated opinion in a poorly concealed effort to justify your personal dislike.

Man up, grow a pair, and come right out and say what you mean.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:56 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,655 times
Quote:
Police are nothing more than agents of the state tasked with filling its coffers.
If a cop does something good for the taxpayer, it is incidental to their true mission.
I love hearing this old canard - lemme guess, you're an avid supporter of Alex Jones and Ron Paul?

As someone who has worked in the justice system, I can tell you that despite what you may think, writing speeding tickets comprises a very small part of the average cop's day (unless it's the highway patrol, but their primary job is enforcing traffic laws on highways, so why you'd get pissed off about that is a mystery to me).

Old 03-14-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
I love hearing this old canard - lemme guess, you're an avid supporter of Alex Jones and Ron Paul?

As someone who has worked in the justice system, I can tell you that despite what you may think, writing speeding tickets comprises a very small part of the average cop's day (unless it's the highway patrol, but their primary job is enforcing traffic laws on highways, so why you'd get pissed off about that is a mystery to me).
I agree with the bulk of your statement but have to firmly disagree with lumping Paul in with Jones. There are scores of Paul supporters that wouldn't waste a minute listening to the self-aggrandizing bleatings of Alex Jones and his never ending quest to scare you into buying useless crap from his sponsors.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:14 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
The USA has been a Police State for many years. Good examples of police forces run by the elite are the New York City, Los Angeles, and Chicago Police Departments. They all have histories of corruption and not caring for the public.

The state of California is definitely a police state.
Thats 100% correct. These public servants also have excellent salaries, benefits & pensions. ALOT of them are power hungry & they are the most dangerous.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:24 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Police are hired guns for the city. Sheriff's are elected law enforcement by the citizens.

One can loose their job come election time every 2 years and the other cannot loose their job, because the police union will not allow it, in their bargaining with the city.

One is held accountable, the others get away with murder, corruption and internal crime.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:53 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
We trust them to do the right thing and this is the result?

SFPD Breathalyzer Mistake Puts Hundreds of DUI Convictions In Doubt - Slashdot

Common problem with radar devices as well. When I was in the academy, one of our courses covered the use of the devices and how it is important for the department to keep them properly calibrated for accuracy. My friend is a metrologist and you would be surprised at how many devices out there that are severely out of calibration to which are extremely important in their accuracy.

People can refuse the breathalyzer test though. If someone is really serious about them not being intoxicated over the limit, they should request a blood test. It is the most accurate, though this can backfire for some as a breathalyzer isn't as sensitive (when properly calibrated) to catch borderline, so the blood test may show someone intoxicated legally while the breathalyzer does not. Best practice is simply not to drink and drive at all.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:13 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,512,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
sheriff departments are different as the sheriff is an elected lawman. all the rest are thugs and should be fired, including all police and state police, plus the fbi, batf, dea and any other federal law enforcement.
Brilliant plan, McDuff!!!

Old 10-16-2012, 06:03 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
A cop can ruin your day. They can write bogus tickets & the courts always favor law enforcement unless you can prove otherwise. They can also detain you & search your vehicle or home just for the hell of it. Tell them to get a search warrant & they may just plant evidence. Also watch what you say to the police. Never offer any info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies