Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:20 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
This country is not without its faults. However, we have a very effective, legitimate way to change our government. It's the ballot box. Anyone who is looking to change our government by any other method is someone who doesn't want to abide by democratic elections. This type of person can not be trusted to protect our freedoms, rights and privelages. Could they be trusted to hold a democratic election if they refused to abide by the one that the government they overthew held? Of course not. That's why this talk goes nowhere in America. Hating the government is an American as apple pie. Hate the government? Change it up. See you at the voting booth.
As I say, I don't completely disagree. See my post #10. And I love this country as I'm sure you do. But the highest, by far, incarceration rate argues against your notion that "all of us are stakeholders". And unfortunately the voting booth has not proved to be a fix for our faults, which are not minor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 01:21 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
As I say, I don't completely disagree. See my post #10. And I love this country as I'm sure you do. But the highest, by far, incarceration rate argues against your notion that [i]"all of us are stakeholders"i].
Got you. We're not all stakeholders. Do you think its fair to say that those of us who are not are not by choice?

Old 03-11-2012, 07:05 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
A few million dollars?
Really?
I can do the same for free via social media.
Can I have that $ you are about to waste?
More than likely I'd be using your money to overthrow your government, historically speaking of course.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:07 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor2483 View Post
Enjoy having your IP tapped into via the Patriot Act for making such a thread.

Seriously. This was not clever. You think it's OK to talk about overthrowing the government and its' organization on an internet forum? Do you seriously think if so and so cousin forwards this thread to his buddy in the FBI that they won't tap your phones/internet?

Some people seem to not properly understand this medium and how it works. Too comfortable from the living room...
No one is suggesting actually overthrowing the government. The thread, as I see it, is simply asking what would it take and historically speaking it doesn't take very much to overthrow governments.

I mean cities can be on fire over a football win in America not to mention Rodney King.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:10 AM

840 posts, read 781,016 times
The American people won't need to overthrow the government. The government is doing a good enough job of destroying its self and the America we once knew and loved. Once the US as we know it falls apart. I figure racial enclaves will pop up in different parts of the country and I do believe there will be all out war...raids on different enclaves etc..

Old 03-11-2012, 07:30 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Hm, the current government was elected, it is legitimate. Overthrowing governments is done via elections these days, at least in sophisticated countries. Just because you don't like democracy and the outcome of elections doesn't mean you can go there and topple the legitimate government.
Even if you somehow managed to take out the president and some of his closest aides, they would simply be replaced by others thinking and acting the same way. There will not be any major change as there is a solid foundation of laws that can't just be taken out.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:59 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Four more years and Obama could destroy the country all by himself....

Old 03-11-2012, 09:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
The Constitution has already been overthrown.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:25 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Well there are huge hypotheticals here. Is the military backing the rebellion? Is it a rebellion by high ranking officials conducting a coup?

In 1865, a handful of men almost overthrew the executive branch by killing the President, Vice President, and speaker of the house. Its just that the other men that were sent to Andrew Johnson and Colfax's houses weren't quite as driven or successful as Booth was.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:43 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor2483 View Post
Enjoy having your IP tapped into via the Patriot Act for making such a thread.

Seriously. This was not clever. You think it's OK to talk about overthrowing the government and its' organization on an internet forum? Do you seriously think if so and so cousin forwards this thread to his buddy in the FBI that they won't tap your phones/internet?

Some people seem to not properly understand this medium and how it works. Too comfortable from the living room...
Oh noes!! I see black helicopters outside!!

Perhaps the internet is a little too risque for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies