Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 09:02 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Please Yeledaf, posting entire articles is a breech of copyright, just post the links and your own thoughts, I would hate to see this thread deleted or closed because of that.

thanks
That's news to me. Thanks for the tip.

Any thoughts on the 12th Mahdi folks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 09:17 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

Well I don't know of many who ever claimed that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad didn't have illusions of grandeur. Thankfully Ahmadinejad's term is up in 2009 and thankfully he isn't in charge of the military as that is the function of the Supreme leader Ali Khamenei. It is also pretty well established that Ahmadinejad is not that popular with the people of Iran who considerably more moderate than he.

As to Daniel Pipes, well he is a learned scholar but he is also a signator of the PNAC and is still closely associated with his Likud leanings so it is hard to know if he is writing on the best interest of the Israeli's or of that of the US.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:04 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

From what I have read, Ahmadinejad truly believes that he is the servant of the 12th Imam. From his statements, it seems that he also believes he should do everything in his power to bring about the prophetic horrors for the Mahdi to bring peace to the world. Ahmadinejad may not have ultimate power in Iran, but as most extremists can find a way to accomplish their goals, counting him out would be a big mistake.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:04 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Why would America nuke Iran, or any other country in that region? One or more nuclear bombs would create an immense cloud of radiation. Being out of anyone's control, that radiation might drift onto Israel. Tel Aviv surely would not like that, and they would certainly let it be known. And surely they have thought of this possibility...which has been conveyed to Washington.
I was living in Frankfurt, Germany, as the disaster at Chernobyl, in Ukraine occurred. The radiation from that was much less than expected from nuclear weapons, but large regions of the southern German province of Bavaria were affected. Some stored crops were contaminated. Months later, newborn livestock (some deformed) had to be destroyed.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,496 times
Quote:
Why would Iran risk bringing on a nuclear holocaust? Why, because their government is controlled by religous fundamentalists whose theology includes an apocalyptic creed nt unlike the "rapture" beliefs of some fuindamentalist Christians.
that is a rather narrow minded conclusion. A leader of a country, even if he's an undisputed religious zealot, can't afford to act so rash as starting a nuclear war. nobody that crazy will ever have a chance to rise as high as ahmedinejad. I'm an Iranian and i'm against ahmedinejad. but our grudge against him didn't stem from the fact that he continually defied the west. it's mostly concerning domestic matters, his before the election promise that he yet to fulfilled. we are fully agreed with his stance of bringing Iran into nuclear age. Do not believe everything you hear from the news. we are happy with the current governing of Iran. there's only few people, obviously a western sleeper agents that emerged in front of TV and confess their unsatisfaction. we proud to be Iranian. we will not give upp the current government into a corrupt western backed government. have you blind or something? have you not seen how every US installed government in the third world are corrupted to the core? whenever a US backed government ruled, Poverty skyrocketed, violance and crime increase. we Iranian never bother anyone, unlike some other country who always meddle in the affair of another country and launching illegal invasion against a sovereign country. what US fear so much about nuclear iran is not because US fear an Iranian pre emptive nuclear strike against Israel, but it is because Iranian nuke will provide iran a credible deterence against a planned Attack by US (like an Israeli Samson Option). It is US that planning an aggression. not us.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:40 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times
I dont agree with any of this. We use them as a deterrent to preserve life. Little Ima Jihad wants to end life specifically jews. The Crazy SOB is more than happy to sacrifice a few hundred thousand Iranians in the name of Allah to destroy Israel

Old 09-11-2007, 12:57 AM

12 posts, read 19,317 times
Quote:
I dont agree with any of this. We use them as a deterrent to preserve life
we too, were not the one who sent 3 carrier groups close to the US coast. We never made made statement to nuke Israel, sure we despise Israel, but that's not reason enough to start a nuclear war. even if we take the possibility that Israel will not launch a counterstrike (highly unlikely) we still be affected by the fallout. Those military commanders have family you know, in Iran. if the presidents try something as dangerous as launching nuke against other nuclear armed country, and backed by the most powerful military in history, he would've been assasinated on the spot. Why don't you americans be sane for once and stop this war drumming. have you listen to yourself lately. you sound like a war maniac.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:30 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times
I thought Iran wanted nuclear energy for power? Why waste money for nuclear energy when Iran has boatloads of oil under its feet. They should be investing in refineries. As far as war drummig goes tell that to your president.What part of wipe Israel off the map doesnt sound like a cause for concern? Personally I think Ima jihad says this to drive up the cost of oil

Old 09-11-2007, 09:06 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Well roughly judging by the responses we can infer a few things.

1. Is that Iran isn't so much a threat to the US as it is to Israel. Begging to ask, are we fighting in the Middle East for Israeli interest or our own?

2. That the nuclear deterrent does not deter and we Americans have been bilked out of trillions of dollars constituting the largest rip off in history.

3. CIA and the American intelligence apparatus are no longer relevant since they don't support the Bush administrations assertions and claim that Iran's desire to seek entry into the nuclear club is largely based upon a perceived external threat from the United States. (nations with a bomb don't get invaded)

Old 09-11-2007, 09:20 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well roughly judging by the responses we can infer a few things.

1. Is that Iran isn't so much a threat to the US as it is to Israel. Begging to ask, are we fighting in the Middle East for Israeli interest or our own?

2. That the nuclear deterrent does not deter and we Americans have been bilked out of trillions of dollars constituting the largest rip off in history.

3. CIA and the American intelligence apparatus are no longer relevant since they don't support the Bush administrations assertions and claim that Iran's desire to seek entry into the nuclear club is largely based upon a perceived external threat from the United States. (nations with a bomb don't get invaded)
1. Iran takng over 60% of the world's oil reserves (in Iraq, added to its own) isn't a threat to the US? I hope you have some healthy hamsters to run your generators. Otherwise, you're going to have to post here via smoke signals.

2. Of course it has deterred -- e.g., Russia. But with Iran, we're dealing with religious fanatics who apparently have a global death wish. Think of Jerry Falwell as being secretly kept alive in a cave in Alabama with a closet full of low-yield tactical nukes, and the US on the verge of adopting gay marriage on the federal level. Times Ten.

3. The paranoia of Iran's leaders is well-known. That absurd way of thinking has done wonders for the people of Cuba, Venezuela, and Berkeley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies