Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 06:30 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
I awoke this morning at 2:48 ,after my usual 4 hours of sleep. Should have known better than to try and get to bed early last night - why would I think I could sleep more? Fixing my coffee, getting something to eat and taking my morning meds, I thought about maybe trying to catch a few more winks in the chair downstairs.

I turned on the television (late night, early morning - never anything on) and landed on HBO. The movie about 9/11 was coming on and I was surprised, wondering why they were playing this again. My eyes opened wide and I thought of my doctor's appointment today, and it dawned on me...today is September 11th. How could I have forgotten? And why was it that nothing on the news last night reminded me of this day? I quickly flipped through the channels searching for something - news of memorial services, stories of that infamous day - any little blurb that would tell me someone had remembered. Nothing. Maybe when the news begins again at 5:00 a.m?

It seems tragic that this day falls on the heels of a CNN report about lax security at our borders. The El Paso, Texas border is relatively unsecure - especially when traffic slows to a 2 hour wait. At that time Border Patrol falls to only questioning the driver, not searching vehicles, and allowing passengers - regardless of how many there are - to pass into this country without so much as a nod. Tight security has punished two Border Patrol Guards -now serving time in prison for killing a drug dealer attempting to enter our country smuggling his illegal wares. What is going on here? How is it possible Law Enforcement has been punished for trying to keep us safe and enforce laws meant to keep trash out of America? None of this makes sense and I am apalled.

Instead, on most news channels, all we are told are stories of our government bickering amongst itself, demanding a timeline to withdraw troops, slamming leaders struggling to keep America the Land of the Free, and charging those who support the war on terror with being self-servant , seeking only to pad their own pockets and service their own agendas. These situations do exist, but why are those stories stressed and replayed? That will most certainly swell our hearts with American pride, don't you think?

United Flight 93 crashed to the ground in a field in Pennsylvania. It was the only plane on that fateful day to miss it's target - due to the heroism of the passngers aboard. Does anyone stop to think about the sacrifice they made, the tragedy avoided by their swift actions, the families they left behind? Does anyone care anymore? What about the planes that hit the Towers? Can anyone recall the flight numbers, the company that occupied an entire floor of one tower and lost almost every employee, or the timing of the plane that hit the Pentagon? What do we remember and how do we remember it? How long did it take us to wipe it from our daily memory banks once the images were taken off the television?

Whether you support the President or not, whether you are Liberal or Conservative, Democrat or Republican - 9/11 touched you if you are an American. It should remain first and foremost in our minds everyitme we seek to criticize those who would seek to protect us. Each time we stand in line at security check-points in the airport, we should be thankful. Everytime we empty our pockets to gain access to government agencies and businesses, we should be thankful. How often though do we grumble and complain to the point of having security turn lax and law enforcement back down - assuring we are no more safe today than we were 6 years ago.

It is my belief the images of 9/11 should be played every single day. As the Pledge of Allegience and the playing of the National Anthem once started every television day (remember?), so should the images of the burning towers and lives lost serve to remind us each morning that many lost their lives due to our arrogant assuming illusions of immortality and American granduer.

If you talk to people who lived through the era of WWII - you will hear stories of how the Nation pulled together, troops were supported, rations were observed without complaint and the pride of America was seen everywhere. Our land was invaded and people were killed. We rallied and retaliated and fought to preserve the sanctity of our homes. Those caught speaking against policy back then were shunned and sometimes punished and no one thought of standing on the street corner (let alone going on national television) and slamming the President or the soldiers working so hard to fight for our freedom. Why are things so different now? Why do we not voice our disgust at the media in a forum where we will be heard rather than shake our heads and go on with our lives? Complacency? Too busy wrapped up in our day-to-days that we cannot stand for something? Because that brilliant sapphire blue sky in September did not effect our family in a direct way we dismiss it and continue to live - while those families, friends and co-workers left behind on 9/11 still re-live it everyday?

My youngest son served four years in the Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps in high school. His senior year he was Commanding officer of his Squadron, and worked hard everyday to uphold the oath of the JROTC cadets. I watched as those who had gone before him graduated and joined the service - being praised and honored from within the ranks, yet belittled and shunned from those outside. These boys believed in something and they had to take their part. During Joshua's Senior year, he attended the funeral of 3 of his friends who served in Iraq. Yes, there is tragedy in that. But also honor in serving their country. Had my son decided to enter the Army , I was prepared to support him no matter what. I am thankful, from a selfish point of view, he chose to stay on the home-front and gain an education in Fire Protection - a dangerous job in itself, but his dream since childhood. In talking with others he graduated with - some who have moved on to the service, some who have stayed home and started college - the sentiment is still the same. God, Country and Family. These kids stand for something. Why can they see it - but not the majority of America?

Whether we agree or disagree with the war and politics, regardless of where we stand on issues of oil and gas prices, putting aside race, religion and creed - we are Americans. Six years ago, a freedom was taken away from us, lives were lost and a part of us destroyed which will never return. How is it memory seems to have left us, too - so much so that this day is an afterthought, rather than a day of reflection and reaffirmation of beliefs and a way of life bought in blood from many generations?

"9/11 - We Will Never Forget". A phrase coined very shortly after that fateful day -- but how quickly we do forget and return to our protective daily bubble, watching the world go by.....
How quickly we do forget! It didnt take long to say ok enough war, what about my healthcare, forget about the terrorist, I want my prescriptions paid for, yeah 3000 Americans died but it was our fault, we had it coming, we need to mind our own business and focus on whats really important, like same sex marriage,global warming, oil company profits, free healthcare for everyone. Enough of this war on terror what about ME! God help us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 08:28 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
How quickly we do forget! It didnt take long to say ok enough war, what about my healthcare, forget about the terrorist, I want my prescriptions paid for, yeah 3000 Americans died but it was our fault, we had it coming, we need to mind our own business and focus on whats really important, like same sex marriage,global warming, oil company profits, free healthcare for everyone. Enough of this war on terror what about ME! God help us!

Forget? I disagree, I believe many remember, remember that Iraq had NOTHING to do with 9/11 and was actually headed by an enemy of al Qaeda.
If anyone forgot it was the great misleader forgetting his promise to go after those responsible for 9/11, THAT may have upset his Saudi pals.

Forget? Nah, I think it's going to take a long time to forget those FACTS.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:13 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post

Whether you support the President or not, whether you are Liberal or Conservative, Democrat or Republican - 9/11 touched you if you are an American. It should remain first and foremost in our minds everyitme we seek to criticize those who would seek to protect us.
In other words, if you criticize the president, you forgot about 9.11.

I remember it all quite well, thank you. I remember that the perpetrator of the attack is still at large. I remember the Taliban is regrouping and Al Queda is surging in Afghanistan, just as we've wasted 4,000 lives and a trillion dollars to create another fundamentalist state and terrorist training ground in Iraq.

All of this remains first and foremost in my mind when I criticize our Great and Glorious Protector.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:03 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
I find this thread repulsive.

I worked with the husband of one of the young ladies who died at the Pentagon when the plane hit. They had two young children, and they now have no mom.

Patricia E. (Patti) Mickley, 41, Springfield, Va.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:11 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Quote:
Those caught speaking against policy back then were shunned and sometimes punished and no one thought of standing on the street corner (let alone going on national television) and slamming the President or the soldiers working so hard to fight for our freedom. Why are things so different now?
Well, for one thing, that's not actually true. There was public debate and dissent during WWII, and Roosevelt even removed several generals whose performance seemed ineffective.

For another, WWII was a very obvious and clearcut policy response to the Pearl Harbor attacks. Iraq is not at all an obvious policy response to the Sept. 11 attacks - in fact, one could argue it was counterproductive overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies