Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:21 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times

Advertisements

Look how people in our administration believe. There's no mention of "illegal" guns. It's just guns. All guns.

Holder Says People Need to be Brainwashed - YouTube

Obama's voting record on gun issues - Barack Obama on Gun Control

Clinton banned an entire classification of guns based on nothing but looks alone.

Homer S. Cummings (D) couldn't ban guns so he helped write the law that would tax multiple types of weapons to the point that no one could own them. Signed by Roosevelt (D). - National Firearms Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The gun control act of 1968 was a knee-jerk reaction to the assassinations of King and Kennedy. Signed by Johnson (D). - Gun Control Act of 1968 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look at the laws in left leaning California and New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Here's the problem, some of these proposals may make sense but the anti gun lobby will never stop there hence the reason the NRA gets so much support even when they are fighting even sensible legislation.
Please give an example of "sensible" gun laws.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post

Homer S. Cummings (D) couldn't ban guns so he helped write the law that would tax multiple types of weapons to the point that no one could own them. Signed by Roosevelt (D). - National Firearms Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
They've been trying to do this again, the most recent one is banning lead in bullets under the guise of environmentalism. You don't ban the gun, you ban material used to make the bullet. Seems to be a common practice among many activists to try backdoor measures to accomplish a goal.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Please give an example of "sensible" gun laws.
Firstly don't take me wrong, I'm a gun owner and gun advocate.

Things I would consider sensible would include short waiting times of perhaps 24 to 48 hours and getting the gun shows under control.

Other laws like the bans an assault rifles, mag capacity limits, types of bullets you can purchase are really irrelevant and unneeded.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Things I would consider sensible would include short waiting times of perhaps 24 to 48 hours
What does this accomplish?

Quote:
getting the gun shows under control.
Are the gun shows you attend some kind of wild west free for all? The ones I go to bring a lot of FFLs together to one building. There is nothing out of the ordinary. Every gun I have ever purchased at a show required the exact same background check as if I were in their store.

Are you talking about face to face sales between individuals? How is that a show issue? My local paper has guns for sale in the classified section.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:58 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Background checks are already in place.

Guns are to the left what abortion is to the right. Its on the wish list , but both know its political suicide.
So, background checks are a bad thing?

You support allowing convicted felons and those with a wide ranging assortment of mental illnesses, some controlled, some not to just buy a gun with no checks?

Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I am conservative and not worried about having my guns taken away because

1. With the second amendment in place, it'd be a tough sell.
2. It's a deeply embedded cultural thing.
3. The government is so full of freakin' idiots, I doubt they'd be organized enough to go house-to-house confiscating weapons. They got people up north running 300 billion dollars in tax fraud and they only found out because the freakin' MAILMEN noticed bunches of tax returns going to the same address...

Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
First of all, Obama has not even said one thing about taking guns away the whole time he has been in office. second of all, if anyone tried to take all guns away, it goes against the 2nd amendment and would be taken to court and third, I do not know anyone that wants all guns taken away. if anything, we just want gun law reform meaning things like backround checks when buying a gun or taking fingerprints or something, NOT taking all guns away.
Conservatives seem to have a congenital need to fear something. Ever since the break-up of the Soviet Union and the subsequent end of seeing COMMIES! under every bed and behind every bush they've been searching for new things to fear.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:34 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Conservatives seem to have a congenital need to fear something. Ever since the break-up of the Soviet Union and the subsequent end of seeing COMMIES! under every bed and behind every bush they've been searching for new things to fear.

Perhaps you need a history lesson. The party that started wars against communism which cost about 95K American lives was:

A. Democrat

B. Republican

A two option multiple choice question may or may not be too difficult for you. There's always google though just in case.......

Old 03-21-2012, 08:43 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
If you're not scared of everything, you can't be a "conservative". NRA's fear mongering is but merely a miniscule piece of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies