Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 12:43 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
If you look at a dictionary from the mid 1700's, regulated means "well exercised" or "regular" and not "controlled" like we use regulated today.
And where exactly did you get taught that? Here's a piece from the period, verbatim:

"Whenever the legislature attempts to regulate the differences between masters and their workmen, its counsellors are always the masters. When the regulation, therefore, is in favor of the workmen, it is always just and equitable; but it is sometimes otherwise when in favor of the masters."
- Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I didn't ignore it; you had supplied it.

So, try again.
Well, then let us go back to my post you are scared to handle (this time with a little emphasis so you have one less excuse)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You forgot the first part. Might want to look it up and explain it. Or, if you can't see it in your version, ask and I shall oblige.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 12:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Obama is just the president and only at max for four more years. One has to look at the makeup of the democratic party interest groups to see intent.Any president is only a bump in the road as far has long term change.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:06 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
And where exactly did you get taught that? Here's a piece from the period, verbatim:

"Whenever the legislature attempts to regulate the differences between masters and their workmen, its counsellors are always the masters. When the regulation, therefore, is in favor of the workmen, it is always just and equitable; but it is sometimes otherwise when in favor of the masters."

Well, then let us go back to my post you are scared to handle (this time with a little emphasis so you have one less excuse)...
You offered part and I offered the following part. Not scared, no excuse. I'm not going to play into your little game. If you wish to make a point, make it. I don't have the time or desire to post in an attempt to guess what you're trying to say.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
You offered part and I offered the following part. Not scared, no excuse. I'm not going to play into your little game. If you wish to make a point, make it. I don't have the time or desire to post in an attempt to guess what you're trying to say.
Actually I didn't "offer a part", I brought up a part you don't have time to care or dare about. But since I promised to oblige, even with no time at hand to explain it, I hope you can at least read it much less continue with wasting time (both yours and mine) trying to run in circles. The second amendment:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Reading itself would take twice the effort for those who prefer to start half way down the text.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Actually I didn't "offer a part", I brought up a part you don't have time to care or dare about. But since I promised to oblige, even with no time at hand to explain it, I hope you can at least read it much less continue with wasting time (both yours and mine) trying to run in circles. The second amendment:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Wow! Thanks for posting that. You're right; I've never seen that secret text at the beginning....

Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Wow! Thanks for posting that. You're right; I've never seen that secret text at the beginning....
Well, now you know it ain't a secret text after all. Just appears to be a bit too inconvenient for many around here to be a part of debate. Just as inconvenient, if not more, as things that necessitate "debate" with such excuses as "I don't have time".

Old 03-21-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Well, now you know it ain't a secret text after all. Just appears to be a bit too inconvenient for many around here to be a part of debate. Just as inconvenient, if not more, as things that necessitate "debate" with such excuses as "I don't have time".
Ah, you seem to be struggling with comprehending what I said. I said "I don't have time" to make posts to try to guess the point you're trying to make.

If you were simply trying to point out that there was some text framing a rationale, then yes I knew that.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Ah, you seem to be struggling with comprehending what I said. I said "I don't have time" to make posts to try to guess the point you're trying to make.

If you were simply trying to point out that there was some text framing a rationale, then yes I knew that.
So why haven't you? Now may be the time to explain (something I asked in the very first response).

Old 03-21-2012, 02:21 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
Quote:

I read it. It's a simple concept to look up a word in a dictionary.

And the Oxford English Dictionary:

REGULATE v.:
1. a. trans. To control, govern, or direct by rule or regulations; to subject to guidance or restrictions; to adapt to circumstances or surroundings.
c1630 MEAD in Ellis Orig. Lett. Ser. II. III. 263 A freind of his sent him two or three Doctors to regulate his health. 1644 MILTON Areop. (Arb.) 50 If we think to regulat Printing,..we must regulat all recreations and pastimes. 1682 DRYDEN Prol. Loyal Brother 3 Critics would regulate Our theatres, and Whigs reform our State. 1729 BUTLER Serm. Wks. 1874 II. 8 Desire of esteem..was given us..to regulate our behaviour towards Society. 1792 Anecd. W. Pitt I. iv. 75 Can freedom be regulated without being..in some part destroyed? 1836 J. GILBERT Chr. Atonem. ix. (1852) 296 Mercy must be in some way regulated by regard to righteousness. 1877 SPARROW Serm. vi. 81 He that reduced the material world to order, can regulate and direct the mind.
refl. 1672 MARVELL Corr. Wks. (Grosart) II. 405 Having received your letter.., according to which I shall regulate myselfe upon occasion. 1779 JOHNSON Let. to Mrs. Thrale 6 Apr., Does he direct any regimen, or does Mr. Thrale regulate himself?

b. To bring or reduce (a person or body of persons) to order. Obs.
1646 FAIRFAX (title) Orders Established..for Regulating the Army. 1654 BRAMHALL Just Vind. vi. (1661) 127 He might have..called a Councel, regulated him, and reduced him to order and reason. 1685 LUTTRELL Brief Rel. (1857) I. 341 In other buroughs..they have new regulated the electors by new charters. 1687 Ibid. 421 There are 6 commissioners appointed, who are to inspect all the corporations of England, and regulate them, by turning out such as are against the taking away the penall lawes and test. 1839 Southern Lit. Messenger (U.S.) Mar. 220/1 They had dropped hints of their intending, before long, to ‘regulate old Jerry Jackson’, who, they said, had been stealing corn.

c. To correct by control. Obs. rare.
a1680 BUTLER Rem. (1759) I. 218 To regulate the Errors of the Mind. 1682 WOOD Life 17 June (O.H.S.) III. 22 The chancellor's letters for regulating the rudeness and miscarriage of the Masters in Convocation.

2. To adjust, in respect of time, quantity, force, etc., with reference to some standard or purpose; esp. to adjust (a clock or other machine) so that the working may be accurate.
1662 J. DAVIES tr. Olearius' Voy. Ambass. 391 The Persians regulate their Feasts according to the Moon. 1728 R. MORRIS Ess. Anc. Archit. 60 Palladio has not been a little assisting to me in regulating the Proportions. 1750 tr. Leonardus' Mirr. Stones 33 The heat should be proportioned and regulated by the mineral or effective virtue of the stone itself. 1800 tr. Lagrange's Chem. II. 50 Care must be taken to regulate the fire properly. 1812-16 PLAYFAIR Nat. Phil. (1819) II. 107 Clocks ought to be regulated by the mean solar time. 1842 Penny Cycl. XXII. 485/1 He can..regulate the throttle-valve by hand-gear placed within his reach.
refl. 1776 ADAM SMITH W.N. IV. I. i. II. 9 The quantity of every commodity..naturally regulates itself in every country according to the effectual demand.

3. To make regular or even. Obs. rare{em}1.
1649 W. BLITHE Eng. Improv. Impr. (1653) 181 The Corn with much harrowing..will be drawn into wants and uneven places, and much regulated by the Harrow.

4. intr. To make regulations.
1895 Westm. Gaz. 1 May 2/2 If the Board of Trade has any power to regulate on this point, we trust that it will use it.

5. refl., and intr. for refl. Biol. To exhibit regulation (sense 1b).
1902 Archiv für Entwicklungsmech. der Organismen XV. 228 Pieces which are more active may be expected to regulate more widely. 1926 J. S. HUXLEY Ess. Pop. Sci. 235 The portion of substance which in its normal position would have developed into a half, has the power, if isolated, of regulating itself and its internal structure so as to give rise to a whole. 1971 Nature 24 Sept. 233/1 If half the optic tectum is removed and the optic nerve regenerates, the system regulates to preserve a retinotopic projection. 1977 Sci. Amer. July 67/1 Parts of the early embryo of various animals can be removed and the remaining parts will embryonically regulate to form a normal whole.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I read it. It's a simple concept to look up a word in a dictionary.

And the Oxford English Dictionary:

REGULATE v.:
1. a. trans. To control, govern, or direct by rule or regulations; to subject to guidance or restrictions; to adapt to circumstances or surroundings.
c1630 MEAD in Ellis Orig. Lett. Ser. II. III. 263 A freind of his sent him two or three Doctors to regulate his health. 1644 MILTON Areop. (Arb.) 50 If we think to regulat Printing,..we must regulat all recreations and pastimes. 1682 DRYDEN Prol. Loyal Brother 3 Critics would regulate Our theatres, and Whigs reform our State. 1729 BUTLER Serm. Wks. 1874 II. 8 Desire of esteem..was given us..to regulate our behaviour towards Society. 1792 Anecd. W. Pitt I. iv. 75 Can freedom be regulated without being..in some part destroyed? 1836 J. GILBERT Chr. Atonem. ix. (1852) 296 Mercy must be in some way regulated by regard to righteousness. 1877 SPARROW Serm. vi. 81 He that reduced the material world to order, can regulate and direct the mind.
refl. 1672 MARVELL Corr. Wks. (Grosart) II. 405 Having received your letter.., according to which I shall regulate myselfe upon occasion. 1779 JOHNSON Let. to Mrs. Thrale 6 Apr., Does he direct any regimen, or does Mr. Thrale regulate himself?

b. To bring or reduce (a person or body of persons) to order. Obs.
1646 FAIRFAX (title) Orders Established..for Regulating the Army. 1654 BRAMHALL Just Vind. vi. (1661) 127 He might have..called a Councel, regulated him, and reduced him to order and reason. 1685 LUTTRELL Brief Rel. (1857) I. 341 In other buroughs..they have new regulated the electors by new charters. 1687 Ibid. 421 There are 6 commissioners appointed, who are to inspect all the corporations of England, and regulate them, by turning out such as are against the taking away the penall lawes and test. 1839 Southern Lit. Messenger (U.S.) Mar. 220/1 They had dropped hints of their intending, before long, to ‘regulate old Jerry Jackson’, who, they said, had been stealing corn.

c. To correct by control. Obs. rare.
a1680 BUTLER Rem. (1759) I. 218 To regulate the Errors of the Mind. 1682 WOOD Life 17 June (O.H.S.) III. 22 The chancellor's letters for regulating the rudeness and miscarriage of the Masters in Convocation.

2. To adjust, in respect of time, quantity, force, etc., with reference to some standard or purpose; esp. to adjust (a clock or other machine) so that the working may be accurate.
1662 J. DAVIES tr. Olearius' Voy. Ambass. 391 The Persians regulate their Feasts according to the Moon. 1728 R. MORRIS Ess. Anc. Archit. 60 Palladio has not been a little assisting to me in regulating the Proportions. 1750 tr. Leonardus' Mirr. Stones 33 The heat should be proportioned and regulated by the mineral or effective virtue of the stone itself. 1800 tr. Lagrange's Chem. II. 50 Care must be taken to regulate the fire properly. 1812-16 PLAYFAIR Nat. Phil. (1819) II. 107 Clocks ought to be regulated by the mean solar time. 1842 Penny Cycl. XXII. 485/1 He can..regulate the throttle-valve by hand-gear placed within his reach.
refl. 1776 ADAM SMITH W.N. IV. I. i. II. 9 The quantity of every commodity..naturally regulates itself in every country according to the effectual demand.

3. To make regular or even. Obs. rare{em}1.
1649 W. BLITHE Eng. Improv. Impr. (1653) 181 The Corn with much harrowing..will be drawn into wants and uneven places, and much regulated by the Harrow.

4. intr. To make regulations.
1895 Westm. Gaz. 1 May 2/2 If the Board of Trade has any power to regulate on this point, we trust that it will use it.

5. refl., and intr. for refl. Biol. To exhibit regulation (sense 1b).
1902 Archiv für Entwicklungsmech. der Organismen XV. 228 Pieces which are more active may be expected to regulate more widely. 1926 J. S. HUXLEY Ess. Pop. Sci. 235 The portion of substance which in its normal position would have developed into a half, has the power, if isolated, of regulating itself and its internal structure so as to give rise to a whole. 1971 Nature 24 Sept. 233/1 If half the optic tectum is removed and the optic nerve regenerates, the system regulates to preserve a retinotopic projection. 1977 Sci. Amer. July 67/1 Parts of the early embryo of various animals can be removed and the remaining parts will embryonically regulate to form a normal whole.
Thank you. Now apply it to the amendment.

What were you saying earlier, that it was different then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies