Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should be able to refuse to marry same-sex couples?
Religious ministers (priests, pastors, rabbis, etc.) 77 86.52%
Individual judges 26 29.21%
Individual ministers-of-peace 31 34.83%
Entire companies devoted to marrying couples 29 32.58%
Entire counties 22 24.72%
Nobody 13 14.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:38 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,045,246 times

Advertisements

Only the state, because that's the only one that matters, and isn't private.

Why would an inter racial couple even want to force a religious figure to officiate their marriage, if said figure was against it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 11:46 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times
Nobody's voted against an exemption for religious ministers yet. Hmmmmm....

Old 03-23-2012, 11:58 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Nobody's voted against an exemption for religious ministers yet. Hmmmmm....
Why is that a surprise? I am a minister and do not feel that I should be forced to undertake any actions which going against my religious beliefs. The same applies to any religious minister.

Personally I will perform marriages for same-sex couples, but I don't believe that someone against equal marriage should be forced to perform a religious marriage.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:15 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,765,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
At least you're consistent.

I think it would be a very bad idea. Some races wouldn't be allowed to eat with others in some restaurants. Some religions wouldn't be excluded from some stores.... Not a good precedent to start.
I'm not understanding your analogy? This isn't about refusing. It's about not forcing. Gay people can still marry by the clergy who's religion doesn't forbid gay marriage.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:26 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
I'm not understanding your analogy? This isn't about refusing. It's about not forcing. Gay people can still marry by the clergy who's religion doesn't forbid gay marriage.
I was responding to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes. With the exception of emergency medical services.
The poster thinks services, except for emergency medical services, should be allowed to discriminate against people.

I think Churches should be the only ones who can refuse hosting marriage ceremonies. Everyone else is a pay for service business.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:57 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,795,791 times
Quote:
Churches, because of the 1st amendment. All others are offering a for pay service, and can not discriminate.
A flawless opinion. Churches are exempt from any government dictation of what their religious beliefs should and shouldn't encompass.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Only the state, because that's the only one that matters, and isn't private.

Why would an inter racial couple even want to force a religious figure to officiate their marriage, if said figure was against it?
What if there is a religious figure for it?

Old 03-23-2012, 06:02 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,765,342 times
Quote:

The poster thinks services, except for emergency medical services, should be allowed to discriminate against people.

I think Churches should be the only ones who can refuse hosting marriage ceremonies. Everyone else is a pay for service business.

Oh ok, I think it's different when it's based on personal beliefs and religious beliefs. Although religious beliefs are quite personal to each person. For example I don't think a Mayor should refuse to perform a marriage ceremony but a Rabbi, Priest, Pastor should be permitted to refuse to based solely on their religion and if the church (hierarchy) allows it.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:22 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Quote:

So you believe government should interfere with the right of association?

Why should you give up individual liberty just because you own a businesss? Why does a business owner not have the same rights as a home owner?

If you were gay and getting married would not you prefer to spend your money with someone who respected your choice?

Old 03-23-2012, 07:26 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
So you believe government should interfere with the right of association?
There are already laws in place to deal with discrimination from businesses.
If you choose to own a business open to the public, you have to allow anyone to purchase your products, or services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies