Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:37 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,026,302 times

Advertisements

Kid at a local grade school got expelled because her mother packed a butter knife in her lunch so she could spread some peanut butter on the crackers at lunch. This is the insanity that has taken hold in this country. Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 09:39 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,550,024 times
Girls weren't much better. Easy Bake oven with the 100 watt bulb for heat source, playing with mommy's nail polish, and Barbie was dangerous. Barbie not dangerous? Mess with your little sister while she's holding a Barbie. Those feet of Barbie are very pointy and little sister loved to stab at you with them.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:48 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,942,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Sling shots really hit the big time when they started using surgical tubing instead of rubber bands. Cowboys and indians was a lot more exciting when the indians had real bow and arrows. And didn't every boy have a pocket knife? Remember when you could get a tiny knife from the gumball machine? Get caught with that tiny thing in school and you're expelled right to jail in handcuffs.
I'm a bit older.. We used old bicycle tubes to make our slingshots, and it was perfectly acceptable for a boy to have a "Uncle Henry" pocket knife in his pocket. You never dreamed of using it in a fight.. That's what fists were for.. Get in a fight in the morning and be the best of friends by lunch with a new found respect for each other. Yep, dad used his belt on my backside, and somehow I survived with my mind intact.. I wasn't permanently damaged other than some red streaks accross my butt for a few days.. I earned every spanking with a belt that I ever got... I learned there were consequences to my actions..

Old 03-24-2012, 10:07 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,942,353 times
I think I was 9 when I got my first .22 rifle.. It was a single shot and I had to be with someone older when I went hunting for rabbits with it... It was usually my 10 year old cousin...

Old 03-24-2012, 10:22 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,601,093 times
click-clacks and creepy crawler sets with a hot plate hot enough to vulcanize your hand.
firecracker fights and blowing stuff up with M-80s.
the idea of having to wear a helmet to ride your bike would have gotten you laughed out of the room.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9qDQh2oz4Gs/TxpLcLcptyI/AAAAAAAABhE/yyVy6AxEEoQ/s400/big+wheel+jump.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-24-2012, 10:38 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,775,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave
Know why there are so many dumb kids today?
Helicopter parents who over protect their kids. They don't give them a chance to think for themselves. They don't allow them to take risks. They're growing up to adults without common sense due to lack of early life experiences.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:49 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,958,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
the idea of having to wear a helmet to ride your bike would have gotten you laughed out of the room.
I still laugh when I see a kid riding around on their bike with a helmet on.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:54 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,752,315 times
I'd rather have live kids than any other kind. If you'd rather have your toddlers play with things that can choke them than things that don't...you're better off not having kids.

That said, both of my kids had/have horses but they wear helmets. Of course they jump large fences on the horses too and their helmets have saved their heads a couple of times. The daughter who events wears a safety vest as well. If anyone thinks thats cowardly, I'd invite them to jump what she does on a 1200 pound animal.

Last edited by mistyriver; 03-24-2012 at 11:21 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 11:05 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,195,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Know why there are so many dumb kids today? Cause they don't have toys that can kill them. Think back to your childhood. What toys did you play with that were deadly dangerous?

Weebles Wobble-the originals were the perfect size for choking
Lawn Darts-loved lawn darts. We had sense enough to watch out when someone was throwing and get the heck out of the way!
Electric trains-I had an electric train. You connected two copper wires to the tracks and then wrap the other end of the wires around two post on the electric controller. Move the lever on the controller and the train moved. About as safe as putting a fork in an electrical socket.
Chemistry Set-these sets aren't what's sold today. These were lethal weapons of mass destruction.
It's somewhat ironic that you're talking about dumb kids when you're provided no real proof of your hypothesis.

Incidentally, by your rationale, engaging in high risk, dangerous behavior would, all things equal, lead to higher intelligence. Educators don't typically recommend something like this

Winter X Games 13 Snowboard Big Air Highlight Video - YouTube
when getting ready for a math test.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I still laugh when I see a kid riding around on their bike with a helmet on.
Good G*d!

Bicycle Helmet Statistics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies